Thai Licence/International Driving Permit Insurance.

I have a valid U.K. Driving Licence, I failed the Thai Driving Test, I am partially colour blind so couldn’t distinguish the colours on the board from a distance, that kind of test isn’t mandatory for a U.K. Driving Licence although I can read a number plate at 20 metres the mandatory test in the U.K. I have no problem with traffic light colours.

if I get an International Driving Permit can I get insurance and if so can I renew my IDP every year ?

• Like 1

IDP is easy to get in the UK with your real license at post office, just don't confuse them with the story, you're going to Thailand for holiday, oh wow... that's so nice play dumb, they will look up the right one, and you'll pay 8 quid I think, done there and then. The crappy photos you get here at the little shops won't suffice, you need UK passport photos though, so get them before queuing or its requeue with all the coffin dodgers that chat forever, you'll know everything about magaret's cat, and derrick's hip replacement,  and cost in Tesco before you leave..

Not sure about validity, getting the insurance won;t be a problem, but if it's technically valid I'm not sure. I think there a time limit on it before you must transition to thai license but does leaving reset it? every expert has a different opinion on this

Edited by farang9392
  • Thumbs Up 1

It's fine for tourists and other short-term visitors to drive in Thailand on their home country license and IDP.

If one is here on a longer term basis, a Thai license is necessary. If you own a vehicle, insurers will likely want to see a Thai license either before issuing a motor policy but certainly before paying a claim.

I think this topic has been discussed to death previously.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Using an Agent may be the quickest option. Never used one directly so no idea of cost.

There are also driving schools/test centres that will do the training and administer the checks on behalf of the Thai Ministry. Then you just turn up at the Land Transport Office with the Test Centre papers and collect your Thai licence.It's a bit of a pain in that you have to sit around for 2 days to do all the theory and tests but you get a licence within 3 days. 

I have been told it’s not the round board anymore for the colour test but a set of traffic lights, is it the same at Land Transport in Pattaya ?

I would have no problem doing that test.

Edited by Jumbo1968
Edit.

On 6/16/2023 at 7:09 AM, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

If you own a vehicle, insurers will likely want to see a Thai license either before issuing a motor policy but certainly before paying a claim.

That's not accurate, I had three successful, substantial, claims on one of the cars I have owned here and Viriyah had no issues with my UK licence that I used after letting my original Thai licence expire years previously.

20 hours ago, Jaggg88 said:

Although a UK IDP (cost £5.50) is valid for 12 months it can only be used for 3 months in Thailand

...maybe that's true but it is something that the authorities never check on.  Many people, myself included in the past, have used their foreign licence long term with no issues including insurance claims.  If an insurer will issue a policy based on the applicant having a valid foreign licence there probably wont be any claims issues.

32 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

That's not accurate, I had three successful, substantial, claims on one of the cars I have owned here and Viriyah had no issues with my UK licence that I used after letting my original Thai licence expire years previously.

That's good, but I would not advise others to rely upon that. Other insurers may see things differently.

When I worked in the insurance industry here, it was the consensus that a Thai license would be needed if one were here on a long-term basis. Perhaps things have changed or it isn't strictly enforced. I'd at least query the insurance company and get any advice in writing.

37 minutes ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

That's good, but I would not advise others to rely upon that. Other insurers may see things differently.

When I worked in the insurance industry here, it was the consensus that a Thai license would be needed if one were here on a long-term basis. Perhaps things have changed or it isn't strictly enforced. I'd at least query the insurance company and get any advice in writing.

I know of a bike rider who was asked by the insurance company to provide copies of license and passport, he sent an IDP and copy of the valid passport pages and they refused to pay out, due to the 3 month rule.

I wouldn’t want to dismiss any statements from any poster either way, I would just get a Thai license.

I did a course for drivers in Khon Kaen a couple of months back - there was no sight test even tho the school had the reaction test machine, colours on the wall and traffic lights - we were issued with a certificate which we took straight to DLT, they took out photo and that was it. 2500B. I liked it, there was no pretense by the school, most people vanished after the practical test and came back to scan in at 2 hour intervals - better than the DLT busting your balls in some charade of a driving license examination. 

This was posted on FB today,

"Get a Thai driver's license 100% legal. You don't have to come and take the exam by yourself at the transportation. We do the exam for you. After finishing the card, pay ????
#Get a driver's license
Anyone interested in an urgent driver's license can contact here.
Motorcycle 1,500
Car 2,500
Thor. 2. 3,500
Tor.3. 4,500
Thor.4 5,500
Anyone who doesn't want to leave the house.
???? I want to get a driver's license. We make it easy.
Interested in obtaining a driver's license For inquiries, Call to inquire at this number ???? 0652324908 or add Line ???? @244jnill (with @ too)

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:
6 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

But, tediously, consistently inaccurate information continues to be promulgated about it!

The thing is it can be inaccurate but the rules are constantly changing here in Thailand.

In the context of my comment that you responded to, what rules have been "constantly changed"?

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

In the context of my comment that you responded to, what rules have been "constantly changed"?

The rule has been IDP is valid for 3 months constant single  use . Whether the police check , or know , is another point. A UK IDP is still £5.50 , but now has a 3 year life.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, ktm jeff said:
4 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The rule has been IDP is valid for 3 months constant single  use . Whether the police check , or know , is another point. A UK IDP is still £5.50 , but now has a 3 year life.

What?  What has that got to do with some poster's claim that the foreign driving licence rules in Thailand have been constantly changing?

On 6/17/2023 at 9:42 AM, Liverpool Lou said:

If an insurer will issue a policy based on the applicant having a valid foreign licence there probably wont be any claims issues.

Is it not the vehicle which is insured over here irrespective of the driver?

But of course, if a driver has an accident without the correct licence, the claim will not be paid.

Edited by KannikaP

This site no idea who they are issuing 1,2 and 3 year IDP, I think they are based in the States as the cost is in dollars but accept applicants world wide. They have acknowledged my email about an enquiry albeit it could be an computer generated reply.

is it scam as IDP is only valid for 1 year ?

https://internationaldrivingpermit.org/country/thailand/

20 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

This site no idea who they are issuing 1,2 and 3 year IDP, I think they are based in the States as the cost is in dollars but accept applicants world wide. They have acknowledged my email about an enquiry albeit it could be an computer generated reply.

is it scam as IDP is only valid for 1 year ?

https://internationaldrivingpermit.org/country/thailand/

Scam, I have done a bit of research, IDP can only be obtained in your country of residence.

On 6/17/2023 at 5:20 PM, ktm jeff said:

It depends on the convention the 1949 convention gives you a 1 year IDP,     The 1968 convention is a  3 year IDP,      the issue is the DLT  only makes reference to the 1949 convention, but as everything else in Thailand it might just depend who you see on the day

https://www.dlt.go.th/en/renew-license