Activists Hold Rally To Pile Pressure On Polling Agency

webfact

24 minutes ago, chalawaan said:

A Thai academic recently said that the elites biggest problem is that they don't realise that they are the problem. 

They won't realise that until that until they are scurrying down the road to the airport hoping that there are some seats left on the planes out.

I think that may well be how it all ends...

The Ec will announce the results, however the outcome will make a lot trouble in Thailand. I suppose that Pita will be investigated and the case will be send to the Constitutional Court, with a result that nothing will change for now...But the question is will the THai people accept it

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

The Ec will announce the results, however the outcome will make a lot trouble in Thailand. I suppose that Pita will be investigated and the case will be send to the Constitutional Court, with a result that nothing will change for now...But the question is will the THai people accept it

The chances of him being PM are very slim, IMHO.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

The people want a result, the EC to be honest don't know which way to turn.

They travel the world watching how other countries perform their elections then come back to Thailand and continue the age old fiasco.

They have 60 days time.....Kind of better they need time than having a sitting parliament and than kicking out people or parties. 60 days is not that crazy long.

34 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

I agree, but will the Thai people accept it?

Who is "the Thai people"? 72% didn't vote for him. So 72% either want someone different or don't care at all.

And from the 28% aren't all hardcore fans

• Sad 2

47 minutes ago, h90 said:

They have 60 days time.....Kind of better they need time than having a sitting parliament and then kicking out people or parties. 60 days is not that crazy long.

Electoral endorsement shouldn’t take 60 days which is not usual for most democratic countries. Without the endorsement Parliament can’t convene. This overreach power of the EC is another monstrous creation of the military to interfere in the democratic process. Before the EC, it was the Interior Ministry that certified election but the post 2006 coup junta rewrite the constitution and created the EC in 2007. Since then, EC has been controversial as the EC members were appointed by the military junta. EC should be an independent entity. Their behavior is far from that premise. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Electoral endorsement shouldn’t take 60 days which is not usual for most democratic countries. Without the endorsement Parliament can’t convene. This overreach power of the EC is another monstrous creation of the military to interfere in the democratic process. Before the EC, it was the Interior Ministry that certified election but the post 2006 coup junta rewrite the constitution and created the EC in 2007. Since then, EC has been controversial as the EC members were appointed by the military junta. EC should be an independent entity. Their behavior is far from that premise. 

In Austria we had to repeat the complete presidential election 5 years ago, because of some minor issues. My point is a slow check, looking at all details is better than having later the conspiration theories about stolen elections...USA comes into my mind. And in Thailand for minor problems they have to redo the election there, which is great tool.
The iTV shares are another case, but double checking if the counting was correct and checking on every claim of vote buying is good. And as time goes on the next EC won't be appointed by the military. (I didn't thought that before, but if a sitting government appoints the EC that checks their re-election than this is a huge problem.....military, Thaksin, MF, whoever appoints them the other side will say the EC is biased. If the government appoints the EC than this is another huge mistake in that sloppy constitution).

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, h90 said:

Who is "the Thai people"? 72% didn't vote for him. So 72% either want someone different or don't care at all.

And from the 28% aren't all hardcore fans

Future Forward had less votes and see what happened.. Now there are more votes and believe me it is a sign that more people want a change.. and 10% of 18 million is still a lot in your idea... but there are more people who are sick of the current leaders and if they were so popular they had won...I think maybe you will be surprised how many will stand up

• Like 1

1 hour ago, h90 said:

In Austria we had to repeat the complete presidential election 5 years ago, because of some minor issues. My point is a slow check, looking at all details is better than having later the conspiration theories about stolen elections...USA comes into my mind. And in Thailand for minor problems they have to redo the election there, which is great tool.
The iTV shares are another case, but double checking if the counting was correct and checking on every claim of vote buying is good. And as time goes on the next EC won't be appointed by the military. (I didn't thought that before, but if a sitting government appoints the EC that checks their re-election than this is a huge problem.....military, Thaksin, MF, whoever appoints them the other side will say the EC is biased. If the government appoints the EC then this is another huge mistake in that sloppy constitution).

You don’t get what I am trying to explain. EC roles should be for regulating elections, reviewing the constituency boundaries, carrying out voters registration and vetting the MP candidates. They should not be responsible for endorsing and certifying MPs. Any election disputes and complaint motion should be filed with the courts by legal counsels and adjudicated by the courts. This was the old procedure when the Interior Minister was responsible for election. The post coup junta created the additional layer of power for the EC for obvious reasons. Stripping of this power or reverting the management of election to the Interior Ministry can be a big step to achieve integrity to the election process. 

41 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

You don’t get what I am trying to explain. EC roles should be for regulating elections, reviewing the constituency boundaries, carrying out voters registration and vetting the MP candidates. They should not be responsible for endorsing and certifying MPs. Any election disputes and complaint motion should be filed with the courts by legal counsels and adjudicated by the courts. This was the old procedure when the Interior Minister was responsible for election. The post coup junta created the additional layer of power for the EC for obvious reasons. Stripping of this power or reverting the management of election to the Interior Ministry can be a big step to achieve integrity to the election process. 

I think it is a good regulation, someone must certify it. Say in one polling station was obvious voter fraud...like double the votes than voters. You want to put that person in parliament and wait till the courts decide 2 years later. I think the EC with a 60 day time limit is good. Maybe make the time limit 40 days and make it possible to appeal at court.

And surely a different way to select the members. But having someone who does it is important.

2 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Future Forward had less votes and see what happened.. Now there are more votes and believe me it is a sign that more people want a change.. and 10% of 18 million is still a lot in your idea... but there are more people who are sick of the current leaders and if they were so popular they had won...I think maybe you will be surprised how many will stand up

I agree on the "are sick of the current leaders" and the Democrats were also a complete failure. But in Thai history, new parties rose like stars and gone next time again. I would not put too much into it.

26 minutes ago, h90 said:

I think it is a good regulation, someone must certify it. Say in one polling station was obvious voter fraud...like double the votes than voters. You want to put that person in parliament and wait till the courts decide 2 years later. I think the EC with a 60 day time limit is good. Maybe make the time limit 40 days and make it possible to appeal at court.

And surely a different way to select the members. But having someone who does it is important.

You think having the junta appointed corrupt EC doing the investigation is a good regulation? 

1 minute ago, Eric Loh said:

You think having the junta appointed corrupt EC doing the investigation is a good regulation? 

No...there should be an appointment process which is not from the government....maybe judges randomly selected?

Who select the next EC? Say EF is in power and select the EC on the next election we have the same discussion claiming they are biased against the other parties.

(The same as the Senators). Bad constitution....

4 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Who gave the EC power to do this ?   The Thai people, they voted in this constution,

This is all by design and was planned a few years ago.

Power in Thailand isn't given, it is taken. If Pita and the Pro-Democracy side want to govern, they need to start fighting back, and quickly. Leaks about the EC members and their pre-election overseas trips and perks, point out the ridiculousness of involving the Senate, discreetly organize street demos, start making public statements about how stupid the process is, etc.

Political power is an ephemeral thing as it is rarely measured, The vast majority of time, political power exists simply because people think you have it. Conversely, if people don't think you have it, you don't have it.

1 hour ago, h90 said:

I agree on the "are sick of the current leaders" and the Democrats were also a complete failure. But in Thai history, new parties rose like stars and gone next time again. I would not put too much into it.

Indeed but it is 2023 and don't forget that in the foreign press there is much more to read than censored press here in Thailand. People are not ignorant anymore.

39 minutes ago, h90 said:

No...there should be an appointment process which is not from the government....maybe judges randomly selected?

Who select the next EC? Say EF is in power and select the EC on the next election we have the same discussion claiming they are biased against the other parties.

(The same as the Senators). Bad constitution....

MFP in their policies include making changes to create a new people centric constitution. They intend to rewrite or amend the constitution and the laws as regards to their roles and appointment of the Election Commissioners. That’s a positive step for democracy. 

33 minutes ago, MikeandDow said:

Who gave the EC power to do this ?   The Thai people, they voted in this constution,

This is all by design and was planned a few years ago.

Power in Thailand isn't given, it is taken. If Pita and the Pro-Democracy side want to govern, they need to start fighting back, and quickly. Leaks about the EC members and their pre-election overseas trips and perks, point out the ridiculousness of involving the Senate, discreetly organize street demos, start making public statements about how stupid the process is, etc.

Political power is an ephemeral thing as it is rarely measured, The vast majority of time, political power exists simply because people think you have it. Conversely, if people don't think you have it, you don't have it.

True the 2007 referendum allow the coup government to rewrite the constitution. A free election as a carrot in the same year was dangled to get voters to turn out. Still a low turnout of 60%. When the elected Yingluck government came into power and try to amend the constitution, it was denied by the court. The junta aimed to hold on power and a political expedient court. 

Political power should not be held by those who have guns. Even that is not ever lasting in Thailand. 

38 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

MFP in their policies include making changes to create a new people centric constitution. They intend to rewrite or amend the constitution and the laws as regards to their roles and appointment of the Election Commissioners. That’s a positive step for democracy. 

My guess is they'll write a MFP centric constitution....If they want to make it right it will be years with the public discussion and the referendum. But maybe I get a positive surprise.