Cargo bags

BenStark

It's been several years since I travelled overseas, and in the past I always used a suitcase as checked luggage.

Of course, with a suitcase you already lose the first 5 kgs, unless you invest in a super light one, which I have no intention to.

So this time I'm considering using cargo bags, which you can use a zipper lock similar to a suitcase.

I understand that a cargo bag is not as firm as a suitcase, but I don't plan to put breakable things inside.

Any other opinions why I should, or should not, use cargo bags as checked luggage?

When travelling by air my clothes and any other items made of cloth (like sheets, towels) always go in light bags made from canvas or nylon. Obviously these things are unbreakable so they don't need the protection of a hard suitcase. Of course items that can get damaged (toiletries, gifts) go in a suitcase.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, grain said:

When travelling by air my clothes and any other items made of cloth (like sheets, towels) always go in light bags made from canvas or nylon. Obviously these things are unbreakable so they don't need the protection of a hard suitcase. Of course items that can get damaged (toiletries, gifts) go in a suitcase.

Which means of course they are totally unprotected from any contaminants etc that they will more than likely encounter in transit!

• Confused 3
  • Haha 1

If you're traveling around a lot then you have probably got the right answer. I do a couple of trips to Canada a year and bring a substantial amount of stuff each time. I use 1 suitcase and one double walled cardboard box to carry my stuff. The box is wrapped totally in packing tape, and usually discarded after each trip as I usually don't take much to Canada. You would have to check your airline for size/weight limits. 

If you're in North America home Depot has some good double walled boxes for a few dollars. 

Edited by gargamon

Never had a problem myself, but suggest you check with airline and country your flying to as to what they will accept.

I remember many moons ago a friend almost lost a holiday to China, as the airline insisted the only type of luggage that they were able to accept, apparently due to Chinese regulations at the time, was the rigid Samsonite suitcases, she was only advised of this a few days before departure and nobody locally stocked them.

2 hours ago, TheFishman1 said:

If you have to worry about the weight of your suitcase, when checking in to fly, you must have big problems TIT

If your weight allowance is say 23kg, and your suitcase weighs 3kg.............

2 hours ago, foreverlomsak said:

Never had a problem myself, but suggest you check with airline and country your flying to as to what they will accept.

I remember many moons ago a friend almost lost a holiday to China, as the airline insisted the only type of luggage that they were able to accept, apparently due to Chinese regulations at the time, was the rigid Samsonite suitcases, she was only advised of this a few days before departure and nobody locally stocked them.

2 hours ago, KannikaP said:

If your weight allowance is say 23kg, and your suitcase weighs 3kg.............

Exactly.

Allowed cabin baggage is 7 kg, I weighed the one I normally use and is the correct size, and it's 3.6 kg. So that leaves me 3.4 kg of personal stuff. I guess a laptop already weighs close to that.

My usual suitcase weighs 6.7 kg, which is dead weight, so obviously I want to make some improvements.

As I said, it has been years since i travelled last time, and the luggage is from a time when weight on the airlines wasn't that much a concern.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Exactly.

Allowed cabin baggage is 7 kg, I weighed the one I normally use and is the correct size, and it's 3.6 kg. So that leaves me 3.4 kg of personal stuff. I guess a laptop already weighs close to that.

My usual suitcase weighs 6.7 kg, which is dead weight, so obviously I want to make some improvements.

As I said, it has been years since i travelled last time, and the luggage is from a time when weight on the airlines wasn't that much a concern.

A lot of airlines don't weigh it.

4 hours ago, TheFishman1 said:

If you have to worry about the weight of your suitcase, when checking in to fly, you must have big problems TIT

As long as you don't mind paying the excess money if your bag is overweight , the baggage excess fare can be hundreds of $'s

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bignok said:

And a lot of airlines do weigh and check size of luggage for both cabin and checked luggage if cabin bag is overweight or 2 large you are advised that it will be placed in luggage hold once you have removed all the items that can't be placed in the luggage hold and you have pay the extra fees for an extra item in the luggage hold

For cabin bag I use a shoulder camera bag weighs 1.3 kg  camera shoulder bag holds approx 12kg

hold luggage american tourister medium weighs approx 3.4 kg and holds approx 60 litres of luggage

Edited by vinny41
add
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, bignok said:

And many do not adhere to the 'one bag' rule. You see passengers with loads of stuff, trying to stuff it in the overhead bins, or hat rack as Emirates still call them.

When did you last see anyone put a hat in there? 555

9This is my advice having 30 plus in the airline industry.  I've done more than my share of throwing luggage around. 

I've traveled with many hard cases the lady 20 traveling to Asia and States I gone with basically A good  Large Duffy bag style that has wheels and a pull up ba that can easily carry the 22 kilos allowed In States can obtain Walmart, Ross, Marshall run about 80 dollars. 

Here is my basic packing whether new or old I put down a large plastic garbage bag on the bottom they workmy way up anything that I don't want smash too bad goes in middle. On my trips any purchases I keep in plastic bags I gladly pay the penny being charge for them. Any purchases that come with A cardboard packing I place at the ends or side to help keep the bag shape. Any toiletries items I can't take carry on I packed in plastic bag set in middleof bag protected by items clothes on bottom and top. 

Before I close up I set another garbage bag over the top before closing.. I never use any type of locks just use a key ring. There isn't any items inside I can't replace. 

In Thailand, at decathlon sports Year ago in swim department got a large bag with wheels and handle made out of a stiff rubber material like a diving suit for 2000 baht waterproof

IMG_20230621_120115.jpg