Anyone been back to Australia for the forced 2 year exile to move pension to Thailand?

11 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Impressive  insight! Can you lets know the ins n outs re the value of my dugout home in Coober Pedy, just curious if your realestate expertise stretches that far! 😄(kidding)

Pretty sure your Coober Pedy joint is worth about the same value of Taylor Swift’s 2-level, 6-bedroom Sydney penthouse she’s currently staying at!

IMG_3318.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

We've all got different circumstances.

Some single, some married, some married with kids.

Different budgets etc.

Scorecard had access to the RSL and cheap rent that most won't before he returned to Thailand.

Still kicking has gotten himself cheap rent but looks as if he's staying in Oz.

My biggest gripe is that you have to do it (return to Oz) if you want the pension.

But it is what it is I guess.

• Agree 2

On 1/3/2024 at 5:04 PM, 4MyEgo said:

Living in a caravan for 2 years has got to be hard for anyone, that said, I would want to live within a 30 minute drive of my daughters place and a couple of mates that I know, for when getting together.

My objective would be to enjoy the 2 years while there, e.g. train rides, site seeing, beach walks etc.

Buying a 2 bedroom unit would be perfect for me as the wife and kids would have somewhere to stay for March/April school holidays when they come over for the 2 year period, and me going back to Thailand in October when the kids have school holidays shouldn't be an issue with Services Australia as I believe they allow you a 2 week trip per year and if that is the case, I would only be away from the family for 5 months at a time, which I believe is doable.

While the unit will have strata levies to pay, plus council and water rates, the initial outlay, plus stamp duty and legal costs, should be recouped when I sell after the 2 year portability period is granted, that said, the outlay won't be generating me an income, but will save me about $40,000 renting for 2 years after taking away $12,000 for the above outgoings. It would be pointless making $40,000 a year on the money that I would outlay o the unit, as I usually make per year, because most would reduce the pension to nothing, suffice to say, they have you cornered every way you turn. 

I have a friend who bought a cabin for $12,000 in a caravan park. Pays $147 a week in fees. He is spending $20,000 to renovate it then it's worth $60,000 to $70,000. So his fees are lower than any rent and his outlay on the cabin is cheap. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, still kicking said:

You are wrong again I do have a carport, my rent also includes water charges, and it is only a short walk to the train station or bus. I don't need spa or pool I will turn 77 in July so for me the place is ideal. But people don't believe me when I say my rent is only 240 AUD per week. There are 4 carparks at the front and many more behind the building. Why should I pay 5-600 Dollars just to live in the city centre? And yes, there are shops nearby Aldi just down the road and Coles a bit further away. Aldi sells alcohol so no need to go to the pub to buy anything. I buy red wine for 10 dollars for 4 litres. So, all in all I am happy where I live.

And what are the neighbours like ?

Must be loud on weekend nights

3 hours ago, still kicking said:

You are wrong again I do have a carport, my rent also includes water charges, and it is only a short walk to the train station or bus. I don't need spa or pool I will turn 77 in July so for me the place is ideal. But people don't believe me when I say my rent is only 240 AUD per week. There are 4 carparks at the front and many more behind the building. Why should I pay 5-600 Dollars just to live in the city centre? And yes, there are shops nearby Aldi just down the road and Coles a bit further away. Aldi sells alcohol so no need to go to the pub to buy anything. I buy red wine for 10 dollars for 4 litres. So, all in all I am happy where I live.

Ok, so you have parking on the premises, that's another plus for the $240 per week your paying, good for you.

As you say at 77 it suites you to not have a spa or a pool and I agree, if you can get away with paying less than $500-$600 a week, why not, if the train station and shops are within walking distance good, I couldn't see that on Google maps, albeit I am not familiar with the state of WA, let alone the area.

If your happy, that's all that counts, each to their own, but $10 for 4 litres of red has got to leave a bad taste in my mouth, may I suggest a bottle of Penfolds Bin 28 Shiraz 2021 at the very least, which will set me back about $40.00 or a Penfolds Bin 128 Shiraz 2021 which will set me back about $55.00.

Red wine is like a woman, you can get them cheap, but take a look at what your getting, red wines all look the same, but the taste is different, so it's top shelf for my budget, and they have to look as good as it tastes.

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, still kicking said:

Can't I have friends? This forum is not Thai Visa anymore.

Sorry to be bearing bad news, but besides HK & GG there aren't many real friends here for you to choose from :violin: 

• 4 weeks later...

Got a mate who came back earlier. Just got his pension approved. It took 4 months and 1 week. He has been out of Australia for 6 years. Will call soon to see if he has to do the 2 years.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, rhodie said:

Got a mate who came back earlier. Just got his pension approved. It took 4 months and 1 week. He has been out of Australia for 6 years. Will call soon to see if he has to do the 2 years.

That processing time is unacceptable.

Be surprised if he doesn't have to do the two years.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Will27 said:

Long processing times for Age Pension has been in the news in Oz, govt allegedly recruiting more resources. However, standard processing time  has been 13 weeks before eligibility for a long time. Agree with you will be obliged to stay two years to obtain portability.

5 hours ago, Will27 said:

Yes, he expects to do the 2 years. 

Have another mate that was away for 6 years, but returned a 3 times in those 6 years for less than a month each time and owns a place here. He was good to go without doing the 2 years. 

47 minutes ago, rhodie said:

Yes, he expects to do the 2 years. 

Have another mate that was away for 6 years, but returned a 3 times in those 6 years for less than a month each time and owns a place here. He was good to go without doing the 2 years. 

Yep, it depends on the individuals circumstances.

I imagine most who live in Thailand will have to do it.

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/25/2024 at 5:37 PM, Will27 said:

Yep, it depends on the individuals circumstances.

I imagine most who live in Thailand will have to do it.

And just to confirm, yes indeed, he has to do the 2 years.

Officer told him if he leaves the country in the 2 years, his pension will be suspended until he returns and the time away will be added to the 2 years.

Seems different reports on what happens in the 2 years. I thought you were entitled to reasonable trips abroad, but who knows.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, rhodie said:

Officer told him if he leaves the country in the 2 years, his pension will be suspended until he returns and the time away will be added to the 2 years.

Seems different reports on what happens in the 2 years. I thought you were entitled to reasonable trips abroad, but who knows.

Thanks for the update.

The 2 year period is bloody disgraceful IMO.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Short holidays abroad when accumulating the 2 years back in Oz to achieve portability.

This subject has been debated many many times, many comments made that short trips out of Australia during that initial 2 years period don't interrupt accumulation of the 2 year period. But it's difficult to find this stated on Centrelink websites.

Has any member found a Centrelink / Services Australia websites which states this categorically? Please share.  

• Like 1

On 4/12/2024 at 9:55 AM, Will27 said:

Thanks for the update.

The 2 year period is bloody disgraceful IMO.

I guess if you have never worked and paid taxes I understand your opinion, 

I believe you didn't work as you said 

But considering the hard working taxpayers like myself we  want it raised to 3 years and I will support any politicians who agree 

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

On 4/12/2024 at 6:45 AM, rhodie said:

Please read this:

https://guides.dss.gov.au/social-security-guide/7/1/4