Thai children losing out on height due to too little milk

webfact

10 minutes ago, jaywalker2 said:

Milk is good for yo

This is a very sweeping comment

What kind of milk ?- Humans are the only mammals that drink milk after being weened.

Historically about half the world is lactose intolerant.

• Love It 1

13 minutes ago, jaywalker2 said:

Milk is good for yo

Cows milk.....

Although for most people milk is not inherently bad for them it has drawbacks.

.It is a good source of protein, calcium, and other nutrients.  but there are also potential health risks.

Milk contains a lot of saturated fats - it is basically a suspension of animal fat in water., which may contribute to heart disease.

Some people are allergic to milk, and drinking milk can cause symptoms such as hives, swelling, and difficulty breathing..

Lactose intolerance: Lactose is a sugar found in milk, and many people are unable to digest it properly. This causes symptoms such as bloating, gas, and diarrhoea.

Inflammation: Studies have shown that milk can increase inflammation in the body. This is a concern for people with autoimmune diseases and other conditions that are associated with inflammation.

Health risks of milk are often underplayed as milk is so common in the West.

Health risks also vary with the kind of milk you drink. For example, whole milk is higher in saturated fat than skim milk. For some people, goats milk and other types might be easier to digest for those who are lactose intolerant.

Drinking too much milk can increase your intake of saturated fat and calories. Notice how in the states obesity kicks in once people hit 25 years and continue to consume huge amounts of milk.

18 minutes ago, kwilco said:

According to many sources it is actually much higher!  Although some countries are 100% lactose intolerant some are very much lower!

"Lactose malabsorption is widespread in most of the world, with wide variation between different regions and an overall frequency of around two-thirds of the world's population. Acknowledging regional patterns of lactose malabsorption is important to guide management of gastrointestinal symptoms."

Country, regional, and global estimates for lactose malabsorption in adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis - The Lancet Gastroenterology & Hepatology

Asian American, or Hispanic/Latino are more likely to have lactose malabsorption. Lactose intolerance is generally most common in Asian countries, especially in East Asian, where about 70-100% of people show lactose intolerance; it is least prevent in Northern and Central Europe, where only about 5% of the population has lactose intolerance. The ten countries with the highest prevalence of lactose intolerance are:

Ghana - 100%

Malawi - 100%

South Korea - 100%

Yemen - 100%

Solomon Islands - 99%

Armenia - 98%

Vietnam - 98%

Zambia - 98%

Azerbaijan - 96%

Oman - 96%

Thailand is 84% (Lactose Intolerance by Country - Milk - ProCon.org)

The ten countries with the lowest prevalence of lactose intolerance are:

Denmark - 4%

Ireland - 4%

Sweden - 7%

United Kingdom - 8%

New Zealand - 10%

Netherlands - 12%

Norway - 12%

Niger - 13%

Belgium - 15%

Cyprus - 16%

Lactose Intolerance by Country 2023 (worldpopulationreview.com)

Edited by scottiejohn
Thailand added
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, jaywalker2 said:

It's true that increased protein intake is the main reason  behind bigger and stronger bodies. In just the 20 years I was in Japan, younger Japanese men and women grew several inches taller than their parents (bust sizes also increased from the women). The average height of a Japanese male now is around 172 centimeters, I believe, which is almost the same as Americans. Go to a museum in Japan and you'll be amazed how short the samurai were. They were literally midgets.

The same phenomenon is occurring in Thailand. If you look at the children from well-to-do-families, a lot of them are huge. In particular, you see tall robust women that you rarely saw before.

Milk is good for you. It contains about 8 grams of protein per cup along with calcium and vitamin B2.  And while it's true that most Asians suffer from lactose intolerance, there are lactose free milks available now, and generally Asians can tolerate dairy products if they're incorporated into food rather than taken by themselves.

Are you sure the average American is 1.72. I am 1.70 and between Mericans I always feel a bit short. i think they are taller.

Yes a lot newer generation Thais are tall and robust with wide shoulders and muscular. Bodyshape like classic Europeans. I didn't saw that bodytype 20 years ago.

19 minutes ago, kwilco said:

What kind of milk ?- Humans are the only mammals that drink milk after being weened.

no our dog is mammal and drank milk even when old

8 minutes ago, kwilco said:

Cows milk.....

Although for most people milk is not inherently bad for them it has drawbacks.

.It is a good source of protein, calcium, and other nutrients.  but there are also potential health risks.

Milk contains a lot of saturated fats - it is basically a suspension of animal fat in water., which may contribute to heart disease.

Some people are allergic to milk, and drinking milk can cause symptoms such as hives, swelling, and difficulty breathing..

Lactose intolerance: Lactose is a sugar found in milk, and many people are unable to digest it properly. This causes symptoms such as bloating, gas, and diarrhoea.

Inflammation: Studies have shown that milk can increase inflammation in the body. This is a concern for people with autoimmune diseases and other conditions that are associated with inflammation.

Health risks of milk are often underplayed as milk is so common in the West.

Health risks also vary with the kind of milk you drink. For example, whole milk is higher in saturated fat than skim milk. For some people, goats milk and other types might be easier to digest for those who are lactose intolerant.

Drinking too much milk can increase your intake of saturated fat and calories. Notice how in the states obesity kicks in once people hit 25 years and continue to consume huge amounts of milk.

saturated fats are the good fats...that is nutrition. Unless you are on a diet you want to consume them instead of carbs. Carbs make you fat not fat

5 minutes ago, h90 said:

Are you sure the average American is 1.72. I am 1.70 and between Mericans I always feel a bit short. i think they are taller.

Yes a lot newer generation Thais are tall and robust with wide shoulders and muscular. Bodyshape like classic Europeans. I didn't saw that bodytype 20 years ago.

No, it's actually 175 centimeters for Americans but that's only a small difference.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HappyExpat57 said:

So these researchers tested their hypotheses on babies and young children?

Your post proves nothing except a faulty experimental design directed at adults.

34 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

So these researchers tested their hypotheses on babies and young children?

Your post proves nothing except a faulty experimental design directed at adults.

The corporate overlords tell people "buy" so they do, then they defend the overlords.

• Love It 1

2 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

I stopped reading after the first sentence, learn to use spacing. Anyway, genetics are just 1 part of it, it is obvious that the diet is the issue. 

You stopped reading a small paragraph because you couldn't comprehend it, as most literate people could,  so passed it by and assumed because I didn't use spacing for those like yourself, it didn't contain true information. I don't have to learn anything about spacing. It's a choice. Genetics are most of what you turn out to be, along with eating healthy, but eating healthy doesn't guarantee taller, stronger of faster. That comes from exercise. There are people who compete in athletics that smoke, eat junk food and do drugs. (all professional bodybuilders) Diet is the most important thing regarding what you look like as far as being lean,that along with genetics also. This post is about kids drinking milk. The doctor wrongly assumed that kids are losing out on height because of a lack of milk drinking. You can go all your life without drinking milk because it's not necessary. Kids here get enough nutrition from the average Thai diet to ensure health, and better health along with genetics has a population increase in size. Thai diets have gotten better, and worse, with the introduction of other nationalities foods.  Milk can be a good addition to anyone's diet, IF they aren't lactose intolerant. Lactose free milk is okay, but still not necessary. there are many substitutes for the nutrients in milk.  Also, if you choose to drink milk, it's better to use skim or 1%, because the fat from whole milk is saturated, which can contribute to heart disease and CVD, which can lead to strokes. People have been using milk for thousands of years, and some are hurt by it's use. Again, milk is okay for the reasons mentioned. If you didn't choose to read this, oh well.

Edited by fredwiggy

38 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

The doctor wrongly assumed that kids are losing out on height because of a lack of milk drinking. You can go all your life without drinking milk because it's not necessary. Kids here get enough nutrition from the average Thai diet to ensure health, and better health along with genetics has a population increase in size.

Not true IMHO.

My Thai woman is small, came from a rural family where all they had to eat was rice and what they could find in the fields. Her daughter, raised by me, is tall, same size as my western children, fridge full of meat and milk.

If you look back to the middle ages, Europeans were small due to lack of nutrition.

Plenty of tall Thai kids to be seen around these days.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Not true IMHO.

My Thai woman is small, came from a rural family where all they had to eat was rice and what they could find in the fields. Her daughter, raised be me, is tall, same size as my western children, fridge full of meat and milk.

If you look back to the middle ages, Europeans were small due to lack of nutrition.

I had mentioned earlier, my ex wife's family, 11 kids, dad and mom, were (are) all above average in height to tall, and they have been living in rural Isaan all their lives. Remember, a lot of Thais have Cambodian, Laos, Myanmar and especially Chinese relatives. Relatives who might have bigger and taller genetics. Better nutrition, along with the genetics, has seen healthier offspring from all races. Back in the early middle ages, people were taller than in the 17th and 18 centuries, about as tall as modern day people. Climate change, with communicable diseases, and changes in agriculture ,led to worsened health conditions, and when people aren't eating healthy, their size will decrease. Better living entering the 20th century had people increasing in size and height. Kids here have been eating well for a long time now, and their height increase seems to have been disputed by this doctor. Which brings us back to, milk or the lack of it, isn't the cause for height loss among children here. And your stepdaughter would be the same if you were never in the picture, unless she would have been basically starved during her 2-18 years, which is the growth period for most.

7 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Milk contains protein, fat and sugar ( lactose ). All of which are essential for any mammalian species in the early stages of life to grow fast, because when humans are born, they are helpless.

True, human milk is better due to specific antibodies. However, cow's milk is an adequate substitute.

Putting it bluntly, you don't know what you are talking about.

Milk is fairly low in protein. Useful for kids under 5yo but after kids should be having eggs, meat which contain far more nutrients.

4 hours ago, kwilco said:

Especially particular breeds of cow's milk. More evidence to suggest that it's not that healthy. 

Yet, most [Westerners] have been hoodwinked by numerous circles - repeated often and loud enough. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Yep, a load of old tosh. Might help with bone integrity or whatever but a cup a day certainly won’t make a kid a six footer. I drank it all the time growing up and am relatively vertically challenged. Better off touting decent mineral water (and not RO) than the dodgy hormone-laden-that-never-goes-off white stuff they typically have here. 

That my fiend is well wrong, Thai milk is not full of hormones and never has been, as for it never goes off, so dose milk I buy in the UK, it is called pasteurization.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Not true IMHO.

My Thai woman is small, came from a rural family where all they had to eat was rice and what they could find in the fields. Her daughter, raised by me, is tall, same size as my western children, fridge full of meat and milk.

3-4 of my m3 students are close to 6 ft. Many are much shorter. Genetics will set the maximum height, but doet will dictate whether they can get to that max height. None of my students appear underfed or malnourished. How many drink milk, I don't know. My Thai son drinks loads of it, but his height, 179cm, was set by his mother, Im 189cm. 

8 hours ago, jaywalker2 said:

The average height of a Japanese male now is around 172 centimeters, I believe, which is almost the same as Americans. Go to a museum in Japan and you'll be amazed how short the samurai were. They were literally midgets.

very true. the same can be said about Europeans of the past. going all the way back from ancient times (Alexander the Great was 5'4) to the medieval period (knights were 5'7 avg.), the homes/castle doorways and rooms were designed for people under 5'6 or shorter. 

1 hour ago, BayArea said:

very true. the same can be said about Europeans of the past. going all the way back from ancient times (Alexander the Great was 5'4) to the medieval period (knights were 5'7 avg.), the homes/castle doorways and rooms were designed for people under 5'6 or shorter. 

they are also a lot more hairy - what are they adding to cattle feed that comes out in dairy products and meat???

• Haha 1

Rather than just pick out milk, they should look at the general diet offered to kids - There is plenty of protein and calcium available without just using milk..

Milk is not. naturally occurring food in the tropics but I'm sure there are alternatives.

Edited by kwilco

here are some alternatives....

In the tropics dairy farming is limited, there are alternatives to milk that can provide proteins and calcium for growing kids.: Some are natural some like milk are processed…

Plant-based milk alternatives: Plant-based milks such as soy milk, almond milk, coconut milk, and oat milk are commonly available in many regions. They are even fortified with calcium and other nutrients to make them nutritionally similar to cow's milk.

Soy products: As well as soy milk, soy-based products like tofu, can be excellent sources of protein and calcium. These can be used in various dishes, including stir-fries, soups, and salads.

Greens: Vegetables like kale, spinach, collard greens, and pok choy are rich in calcium. They can be included in meals, salads, or blended into smoothies to increase calcium intake

Pulses: Beans, lentils, chickpeas, and other legumes are excellent sources of plant-based protein. Easy to keep and cook yet not that common in Thai cuisine.

Nuts and seeds: ­nuts and seeds are packed with protein and minerals like calcium. They can be consumed as snacks, added to other dishes, cereals or smoothies, or used as ingredients in recipes.

Grains: Whole grains like quinoa, amaranth, and fortified cereals can contribute to a child's protein and calcium intake. These can be used as side dishes, in salads, or as a base for porridges.

You can fortify fruit juices Some  juices, particularly orange juice, may be fortified with calcium and vitamin D, which are essential for bone health. You can use juices with minimal added sugars.

This is pure Bull, it's an attempt to stimulate the milk industry by a so called academic who is probably being 'encouraged' to do so by the people who own the industry.

A significant number of Asians are lactose intolerant and cannot drink milk, including my wife. Thai's steer (no pun intended) of milk and do not experiment with drinking milk. They certainly do not  encourage children to do so because of the high risk of adverse reaction which includes debilitating diarrhea which can cause severe dehydration and loss of electrolytes and can kill a child.

• Like 1

The Dutch drink a lot of milk, eat a lot of cheese, and are now the tallest people in the world !!!!!!

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2021/sep/17/why-does-worlds-tallest-populace-dutch-seem-to-be-getting-shorter

This article suggests that a dairy diet has helped the cloggies grow taller ..but the most recent generations by eating junk food have put this into reverse !!!

3 hours ago, RobU said:

This is pure Bull, it's an attempt to stimulate the milk industry by a so called academic who is probably being 'encouraged' to do so by the people who own the industry.

A significant number of Asians are lactose intolerant and cannot drink milk, including my wife. Thai's steer (no pun intended) of milk and do not experiment with drinking milk. They certainly do not  encourage children to do so because of the high risk of adverse reaction which includes debilitating diarrhea which can cause severe dehydration and loss of electrolytes and can kill a child.

Lactose free milk is readily available, although more expensive than regular milk. The doctor should have noted that dairy products in general are too expensive in Thailand for them to be widely consumed, prices need to be lowered.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kwilco said:

here are some alternatives....

In the tropics dairy farming is limited, there are alternatives to milk that can provide proteins and calcium for growing kids.: Some are natural some like milk are processed…

Plant-based milk alternatives: Plant-based milks such as soy milk, almond milk, coconut milk, and oat milk are commonly available in many regions. They are even fortified with calcium and other nutrients to make them nutritionally similar to cow's milk.

Soy products: As well as soy milk, soy-based products like tofu, can be excellent sources of protein and calcium. These can be used in various dishes, including stir-fries, soups, and salads.

Greens: Vegetables like kale, spinach, collard greens, and pok choy are rich in calcium. They can be included in meals, salads, or blended into smoothies to increase calcium intake

Pulses: Beans, lentils, chickpeas, and other legumes are excellent sources of plant-based protein. Easy to keep and cook yet not that common in Thai cuisine.

Nuts and seeds: ­nuts and seeds are packed with protein and minerals like calcium. They can be consumed as snacks, added to other dishes, cereals or smoothies, or used as ingredients in recipes.

Grains: Whole grains like quinoa, amaranth, and fortified cereals can contribute to a child's protein and calcium intake. These can be used as side dishes, in salads, or as a base for porridges.

You can fortify fruit juices Some  juices, particularly orange juice, may be fortified with calcium and vitamin D, which are essential for bone health. You can use juices with minimal added sugars.

Most of those foods are impractical for the average Thai, either they're not readily available, too expensive, or Thais simply aren't familiar with them . Tofu while popular is not a complete protein.

12 hours ago, bignok said:

Milk is fairly low in protein. Useful for kids under 5yo but after kids should be having eggs, meat which contain far more nutrients.

Doesn't sound good for some kids of a vegan parent or two.

7 hours ago, jaywalker2 said:

Tofu while popular is not a complete protein.

Please explain. Tofu has a higher protein content than milk.

as for other foods above, they are more suited to growing i  the tropics.

Remember milk was not readily available in Thailand too....until an industry was set up About 40 years ago.. How many dairy farms do you see around Thailand?

What's your favourite Thai cheese?

Edited by kwilco