US-China tensions: Biden calls Xi a dictator day after Beijing talks

Social Media

50 minutes ago, Purdey said:

Looking at a map of China showing the close regional proximity of US military bases compared with a map of north America with no Chinese military bases anywhere near, I guess the Chinese need to be more afraid than the US.

Also, Americans forget there are a bunch of politicians older than Biden (Grassley is 89). It's just that Fox needs to find fault with Biden or he will defeat the Republicans again. 

There were fewer bases as the US had removed several in the Philippines until China started it's recent bout of territorial expansionism. Now they are coming back.

13 minutes ago, billd766 said:

The truth does not have to be smart, if it is the truth.

Depends how you want to move forward, in this case how you want to move forward with the China relations.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, billd766 said:

The truth does not have to be smart, if it is the truth.

I agree with your sentiment. However the person saying should know when to say it, if one is trying to ease tensions?

From the BBC article:

"China's foreign ministry spokeswoman Mao Ning called Mr Biden's remarks "extremely absurd and irresponsible". Speaking at a regularly scheduled press conference on Wednesday, she said that the comments were "an open political provocation" that violated diplomatic etiquette."

China's spokeswoman was probably also saying the truth?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

I agree with your sentiment. However the person saying should know when to say it, if one is trying to ease tensions?

From the BBC article:

"China's foreign ministry spokeswoman Mao Ning called Mr Biden's remarks "extremely absurd and irresponsible". Speaking at a regularly scheduled press conference on Wednesday, she said that the comments were "an open political provocation" that violated diplomatic etiquette."

Quite, if one is attempting diplomacy, there is a time and place for everything?

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

As an innocent bystander, aka Brit, I was really rooting for Blinken, and thought he did a great job. Peace at last! Then Joe stuck his big foot in it. Total dismay! ???????????? They should have an anti-gaffe unit on 24 hour standby for some of these world leaders. I like Joe, but for heaven's sake man! Give peace a chance!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, animalmagic said:

Do you think Blinken may have told Biden what Xi had said at the meeting before Bidens comment at the fundraiser? 

Good question but that doesn't change the idiocy of this.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Good question but that doesn't change the idiocy of this.

You don't have any objection to Xi actively supporting Putin and threatening Taiwan with invasion? Not to mention his recent efforts to establish an alternative reserve currency which would greatly undermine the world order? Stealing islands off the Philippines? You don't see Xi as a major threat to world peace and order?

Edited by ozimoron

3 minutes ago, nauseus said:

You are not paying attention, as usual. I am not in favour of most of China's policies (foreign and domestic). However, for Biden to say what he said, only a day after a reportedly hopeful visit to China by his senior foreign representative, is quite moronic and any goodwill restored will be shattered.

Blinken was clearly snubbed. This is payback.

https://www.voanews.com/a/china-snubs-us-military-outreach-ahead-of-expected-blinken-visit-/6910896.html

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

Depends how you want to move forward, in this case how you want to move forward with the China relations.

I suppose that it depends more on what China's future plans are, That is something that very few people know.

2 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Blinken touts ‘progress’ made in highly-anticipated Beijing meetings

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/06/18/china/blinken-china-visit-wang-yi-meeting-intl-hnk/index.html

Edited by nauseus
  • Love It 1

5 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

You don't have any objection to Xi actively supporting Putin and threatening Taiwan with invasion? Not to mention his recent efforts to establish an alternative reserve currency which would greatly undermine the world order? Stealing islands off the Philippines? You don't see Xi as a major threat to world peace and order?

If you send over your top diplomat/minister/secretary to seek to repair the totally fxxxed up mess between the US and China, then completely destroy any positive outcome with fatuous comments about dictatorship, it shows a remarkable lack of diplomacy. If you feel so heated about Xi why not just declare war on China and stop pretending you want a proper trading relationship or whatever. US never had a problem with propping up dictators in the past. The real problem is, Xi is a lot smarter than those guys. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, bradiston said:

If you send over your top diplomat/minister/secretary to seek to repair the totally fxxxed up mess between the US and China, then completely destroy any positive outcome with fatuous comments about dictatorship, it shows a remarkable lack of diplomacy. If you feel so heated about Xi why not just declare war on China and stop pretending you want a proper trading relationship or whatever. US never had a problem with propping up dictators in the past. The real problem is, Xi is a lot smarter than those guys. 

So he should tug the forelock to a dictator who wants to be an enemy of the US and the free world?

I imagine XI takes what Biden says with a pinch of salt.........as do most of us these days.  80 years old and President.................and his opposite number the same.......CRAZY!   Get rid of both of them and bring in the younger folk.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

From the BBC article:

Perhaps China's spokeswoman was saying what she had been told to say.

The truth or not, I have no idea.

After all she works for the Chinese government.

2 minutes ago, prakhonchai nick said:

I imagine XI takes what Biden says with a pinch of salt.........as do most of us these days.  80 years old and President.................and his opposite number the same.......CRAZY!   Get rid of both of them and bring in the younger folk.

President Biden can be replaced in 2024, or earlier or later if he dies in office.

Xi does not have to be replaced as I believe he is now president for his lifetime with no elections to concern him.

17 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Xi does not have to be replaced as I believe he is now president for his lifetime with no elections to concern him.

Chinese presidential elections are every 5 yrs.  Though they did remove 'term limits' just a while ago.

Irrelevant actually, as the President is 2nd ranking as most powerful person in CH.  Head of CCP is #1, which Xi holds that position also, along with commander in chief of military. 

So his influence will be there for quite some time.  A very good thing IMHO

Pretty much makes him the most powerful person in the world right now ... IMHO

Edited by KhunLA

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Chinese presidential elections are every 5 yrs.  Though they did remove 'term limits' just a while ago.

Irrelevant actually, as the President is 2nd ranking as most powerful person in CH.  Head of CCP is #1, which Xi holds that position also, along with commander in chief of military. 

So his influence will be there for quite some time.  A very good thing IMHO

Pretty much makes him the most powerful person in the world right now ... IMHO

Well, if weakening the Chinese economy is a good thing, then Xi is definitely your man.