Foreign food vendors reveal costly sticker payment scheme in Thailand

webfact

image.jpeg

At 11pm last night, a video clip from a local resident dining at a restaurant in Nonthaburi showed a Vietnamese squid vendor discussing the difficulties faced by foreign sellers in Thailand. The 35 year old vendor, Min, spoke about various fees and the sticker system, revealing that they incur high monthly costs.

Min, who has been selling squid for roughly a year, stated that he is required to pay several agencies, receiving stickers in return. Currently, he has two types of stickers, one with a chicken and another with a duck, affixed to the back of his mobile phone for easy reference.

The two stickers represent two different organisations, each demanding a payment of 800 baht (US$23) per month. In addition to these expenses, Min also needs to make payments to specific people he calls ‘brother officer.’

In the video, Min explained that he needs to sell at least 1,000 baht (US$29) of squid daily; otherwise, he cannot afford the nearly 6,000 baht (US$172) worth of fees he must pay to eight to nine agencies each month. He expressed his extreme exhaustion due to selling until 2am to 3am, at times making a small profit due to high costs, Sanook reported.

by Samantha Rose

PHOTO: Sanook

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/foreign-food-vendors-reveal-costly-sticker-payment-scheme-in-thailand

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-06-22

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

17 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

It does if you know what you are doing. Know quite a few of businesspeople who don't do payoffs and can run their business without a problem. Been here for a long time.

We had a Myanmar staff, who worked before in a construction company where we know the owner. He had the paperwork OK with immigration....no doggy fees. If everything correct all is good.

Only thing I noticed for his work permit with the medical certificate the overcharged him most probably. But not like crazy. Not enough to make a drama out of it.

• Confused 2

19 hours ago, simon43 said:

Sorry if I misunderstand here...... but surely it is illegal for a non-Thai citizen to engage in this type of work.  Why doesn't he try selling his squid in Vietnam?

ASEAN, I guess they can work without permit, where ever inside the organisation of ASEAN

• Like 1

19 hours ago, simon43 said:

Sorry if I misunderstand here...... but surely it is illegal for a non-Thai citizen to engage in this type of work.  Why doesn't he try selling his squid in Vietnam?

Yeah, sounds a lot like he's working illegally and complaining that he needs to pay bribes for the privilege. Mind-boggling sense of entitlement.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, webfact said:

he must pay to eight to nine agencies each month.

No wonder the cost of living is getting worse, i'm unable to open the linked story, but why has he not made vids or photos to oust these leeches on society.  

50 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

In every company is absolute nonsense. How many companies have you actually worked for or owned here? Loads of bar stool experts in this thread, who only know stories about bar businesses who have to pay because they stay open later then the permissible hours.

I am working in a company (a real company that produce real things). And I would say we have zero corruption and the overhelming amount of our customer have no corruption.

But there are odd things....when FedEx offers 500 Baht gift cards from Central if the company send a certain amount of shipments to the girl in the office.....than this is clearly corruption. As not the cheapest shipping will be selected but that that gives money.

And we actually received 4x500 Baht gift cards in an envelope. That is the weirdest corruption I have seen so far....

Only that I do the FedEx shipments myself....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Caldera said:

Yeah, sounds a lot like he's working illegally and complaining that he needs to pay bribes for the privilege. Mind-boggling sense of entitlement.

Illegals are an easy task for extortion.
Should be "happy" if he is not get caught:

11 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

In every company is absolute nonsense. How many companies have you actually worked for or owned here? Loads of bar stool experts in this thread, who only know stories about bar businesses who have to pay because they stay open later then the permissible hours.

I've worked with the Thai government and PTT on major oil and gas projects and own a company that employs many more Thais than you would believe in various industries.

Corruption is entrenched throughout the country and at the highest levels. We would not have got contracts without assistance from certain people. They wanted something for allowing us to operate, and they still get their cut. 

Many years ago, I worked for a well known company that used government connections to maintain a monopoly on their business, which is still going to this day I believe. 

The Thai modus operandi is preying on the weak to extort and bully. These people are the lowest on the food chain, so they are fair game for the bullies. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

I've worked with the Thai government and PTT on major oil and gas projects and own a company that employs many more Thais than you would believe in various industries.

Corruption is entrenched throughout the country and at the highest levels. We would not have got contracts without assistance from certain people. They wanted something for allowing us to operate, and they still get their cut. 

Many years ago, I worked for a well known company that used government connections to maintain a monopoly on their business, which is still going to this day I believe. 

The Thai modus operandi is preying on the weak to extort and bully. These people are the lowest on the food chain, so they are fair game for the bullies. 

Government is a problem and other companies too but there are many who do without.

"own a company that employs many more Thais than you would believe in various industries"

This statement says nothing really. How do you know what i believe, better quantify.

6 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

The corporate one. What bar stool are you occupying?

I no longer drink.

Unless you are the CEO you cannot know for certain what is going on in Coca-Cola Thailand, for example.

And is you are a CEO you wouldn't be on here trollposting your life away. 

All I've learned from this exchange with you is that fantasy dreamers don't necessarily all occupy barstools. There is absolutely no way your Corporation, if it exists, is 'running clean' in this country, none, nada, zero. 

Even Rolls Royce have been busted here! 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

PTT of course.....That you'll have in every country....A few years ago a friend tried to get listed in European supermarkets...lot of money under the table.

Or every military purchase....no matter in which country.

But we deliver some of the real big companies in Thailand as well as some medium and small size....and we never pay anything

On 6/23/2023 at 8:49 AM, FritsSikkink said:

The Swedish company that imports parts for their manufacturing process, and they have to make under the counter payments to get things done smoothly. And we are talking a big company here.  Even the Thai employees complain about the corruption going on. 

On 6/23/2023 at 3:49 AM, FritsSikkink said:

I've done a bit of business in the past and there is no way you can avoid graft when dealing with authorities. Using the 'bar stool' reference is so lame and coukd as well be self reflective.

• Haha 2