Chiang Mai - Hang Dong Roadworks

hanuman1

Hi there

Can anyone PLEASE tell me why the Chiang Mai - Hang Dong road is being dug up at two places - about 1.5 and 5 kilometers south of Airport Plaza? At first I thought they were going to be footbridges, but the one at 1.5Km currently looks like an archealogical dig, whilst at 5Kms it appeared today as though workers have erected a concrete pillar right in the middle of what used to be the southbound carriageway.

As a fan of intrigue in general, I'm impressed. It's just that now I have to spend an extra half hour of my (inexpensive) time sitting in my (equally inexpensive) car.

Thanks in advance for unmuddying the waters.

H.

Take a motorcycle and it will be easier. :o

Hi there

Can anyone PLEASE tell me why the Chiang Mai - Hang Dong road is being dug up at two places - about 1.5 and 5 kilometers south of Airport Plaza? At first I thought they were going to be footbridges, but the one at 1.5Km currently looks like an archealogical dig, whilst at 5Kms it appeared today as though workers have erected a concrete pillar right in the middle of what used to be the southbound carriageway.

As a fan of intrigue in general, I'm impressed. It's just that now I have to spend an extra half hour of my (inexpensive) time sitting in my (equally inexpensive) car.

H.

It looked like they were drilling for oil.. they came put up the rig and then promptly went away for about a week. Now they are digging what seems to be a through way for a creek or waterway. I live out by Kad Farang market and coming and going to the city is now a one hour trip if you go during the rush hours, when it was 15-20 minutes. Pain in the butt, but at least they are doing something now. :o

Hi there

H.

There's a small stream there. They're building a proper bridge. (Same elevation as the road, not a 'bridge' bridge, just a thing that spans the stream so the water flows under it and cars drive on top.

There's some moderate flooding issues usually on the Hang Dong road after heavy rains caused by run-off from the mountains & streams.

There's a small stream there. They're building a proper bridge. (Same elevation as the road, not a 'bridge' bridge, just a thing that spans the stream so the water flows under it and cars drive on top.

There's some moderate flooding issues usually on the Hang Dong road after heavy rains caused by run-off from the mountains & streams.

Thanks chanchao and others

so that would explain the first site. Let's hope they're not still there in six months time! but what about the one nearer to Hang Dong? that pillar in the middle of what was once the road has really got me stumped. any ideas?

cheers

H.