Move Forward and Pheu Thai told to stop bickering over House speakership

webfact

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Thai Sang Thai Secretary-General Sita Divari warned the Move Forward and Pheu Thai parties today (Friday) to stop quarrelling over the House speakership and unite.

I thought a recent post said they had reached an agreement?

1 hour ago, webfact said:

“We should celebrate our victory by uniting, returning democracy to the people and not bickering over the fortune stolen by the thieves.

The spoils of war and victory... commeth the share-out.

Splendid sentiment expressed here by Mr Sita and unarguably is what PT & MF OUGHT to do...but also terribly naive of him or anyone to think it's that simple. But he gets a bit of media exposure....and why not?

The issue has, imo, now become very much more than PT getting the position for political gain & purpose (or 'clout'). It's now also about not losing face. 

Now I myself may sound naive, but I feel MF have less òf a concern about keeping or losing face, than they do about allowing themselves the greater authority, later, to better push through politically-sincere manifesto promises. 

Personally, I rather admire their stubborn resolve to take the position themselves. It shows political grit, which they're gonna need.....in spades. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The advice by K Sita must be taken seriously as it’s a race against time to have the House sorted out and have the votes for the Prime Minister on 13 July. The coalition must make the date in order to outrun any attempts by EC to submit the case to the Criminal or Constitution Court. If the EC can’t move the case to either courts before the date, they will unlikely to do so for fear of putting political pressure for Royal endorsement. I think the House speaker position can be resolved amicably by MFP and PT. It probably will settled by having different speakers from alternate parties in each Parliament sessions 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

Here's a novel idea.  Pick a speaker from one of the smaller parties in the group.

MFP is afraid PT will screw them in the Pm Election.

PT Knows that if they have speakership they can screw MFP and hopefully get  the boss back in Thailand.

Nonsense.

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It must be really hard for the guy in the desert to accept that he can't make the rules.

How sad for the old man. 

Why would he be sad?

In less than a month, the man in Dubai, will be the man in Bangkok (or Chiang Mai).

He has won.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

Here's a novel idea.  Pick a speaker from one of the smaller parties in the group.

PT Knows that if they have speakership they can screw MFP and hopefully get  the boss back in Thailand.

What is the point of it? Than both loose.

If you don't have enough votes to form a government you must share.

The MFP get the Prime Minister. PTP get the speaker.

Or MFP get the Prime Minister and the Speaker and PTP get ALL the ministers

The small parties get only money.

55 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

The advice by K Sita must be taken seriously as it’s a race against time to have the House sorted out and have the votes for the Prime Minister on 13 July. The coalition must make the date in order to outrun any attempts by EC to submit the case to the Criminal or Constitution Court. If the EC can’t move the case to either courts before the date, they will unlikely to do so for fear of putting political pressure for Royal endorsement. I think the House speaker position can be resolved amicably by MFP and PT. It probably will settled by having different speakers from alternate parties in each Parliament sessions 

I think MFP need the Speaker position as a fall back position. If Pita is disqualified t the PM must come from another party. 

If MF relinquish the House Speaker say to PT and Pita is disqualified it is more than probable that the PM will be a PT candidate. Thus MF will have no power.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, MrMojoRisin said:

Why would he be sad?

In less than a month, the man in Dubai, will be the man in Bangkok (or Chiang Mai).

He has won.

I take you have drunk the Kool aid.the only way he comes back is if he gets a full pardon or they change to a slap on the wrist.

He has sung this song before.  If it is so good why is sister not coming back.

Remember it was him getting a passport that caused part of yinglucks downfall.

Also remember that yes they have won elections but have they ever served the full term

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Eric Loh said:

But than why Pita went on Covid holidays?

7 minutes ago, cleopatra2 said:

I think MFP need the Speaker position as a fall back position. If Pita is disqualified t the PM must come from another party. 

If MF relinquish the House Speaker say to PT and Pita is disqualified it is more than probable that the PM will be a PT candidate. Thus MF will have no power.

If MFP has no safe candidate for PM, than take the speaker and give the PM for PTP.

3 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

I take you have drunk the Kool aid.the only way he comes back is if he gets a full pardon or they change to a slap on the wrist.

Also remember that yes they have won elections but have they ever served the full term

yes a come back will be difficult and full of court visits...that at least some time in prison and than house arrest.

A complete come back and walk free won't happen. Sure not a come back in glory.

19 minutes ago, h90 said:

What is the point of it? Than both loose.

If you don't have enough votes to form a government you must share.

The MFP get the Prime Minister. PTP get the speaker.

Or MFP get the Prime Minister and the Speaker and PTP get ALL the ministers

The small parties get only money.

The small parties want positions.

If MFP agree to let a smaller party hold the seat then it makes it hard for PT to complain.  It also gives that party stature and may also please some of the senators.

The military and rich have a problem.  They have the choice if pitw or thaksin as pm neither one is palatable.

I am surprised that MFP went with one nominee and did not make sure he was completely above reproach.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, h90 said:

yes a come back will be difficult and full of court visits...that at least some time in prison and than house arrest.

A complete come back and walk free won't happen. Sure not a come back in glory.

No matter the outcome if he comes back people will protest

Really unless there are envelopes I really don't see the Senate letting PT have the prime minister position.

I think they might settle for door Number3.

Crank it up and do it all over again.

22 minutes ago, cleopatra2 said:

That's true. MFP only submitted Pita as PM candidate while PTP submitted 3 candidates to EC. Sreetha will be the alternate if Pita is disqualified. I still think Pita will survive and be PM. Unusual for the progress from election to new government to move so fast by the EC. Perhaps political expediency by higher-up at play. Just my 2 cents. 

1 hour ago, kingstonkid said:

The small parties want positions.

If MFP agree to let a smaller party hold the seat then it makes it hard for PT to complain.  It also gives that party stature and may also please some of the senators.

The military and rich have a problem.  They have the choice if pitw or thaksin as pm neither one is palatable.

I am surprised that MFP went with one nominee and did not make sure he was completely above reproach.

yes but the small parties are only needed to help when there are not enough Senators...you wouldn't give them a job for 4 years if you need them only 5 min.

1 hour ago, cleopatra2 said:

The ruling on Pita will come to late to make that decision. MF have to go for both positions and risk the alliance with PT.

if it does not work they loose both and PTP makes a government without them , if they can convince the Senate the they are the smaller problem. Which I am not sure that this would work

1 hour ago, kingstonkid said:

July 26th ain’t too far away…, we’ll soon see.

2 hours ago, cleopatra2 said:

The ruling on Pita will come to late to make that decision. MF have to go for both positions and risk the alliance with PT.

Politically if MF relinquish the PM position it will be seen as a betrayal to their voters.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

Wasn't this their strategy from the start......especially if they found themselves with ample leverage within this elective circus. 

Could've seen this coming.