Stereotactic body radiotherapy( SBRT) for Prostate, in Bangkok

Ben   Zioner

I am on active surveillance  for Prostate cancer and have limited  my  choice of radical treatment, when the need arises, to SBRT. Would anyone know if any of the  Bangkok hospitals uses SBRT to  treat  PCA. Several  places  advertise  they have SBRT gear, but  that doesn't mean they use it for Prostate cancer.

Also,  I would  be  interested if rectal hydrogel spacers (Space OAR) are being used for Radiotherapy in Thailand.

13 hours ago, Lacessit said:

What is your latest PSA count? How old are you?

Depending on that data, a prostatectomy may be a better option.

Not an  option, at 70+,  you are near certain to  end  up impotent, and probably in nappies as well. While radiotherapy present  similar risks  but the side effects are delayed, and blunt incontinence is unlikely. There is also the risk of rectal damage but this now mitigated by the "Space OAR" hydrogel rectal spacer.

SBRT is become quite popular as the whole treatment can be carried out in 2 to 3 weeks, while IMRT/IGRT can last up to 6 or 7 weeks.

15 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I have not heard of this being used in Thailand yet. 

They do in Singapore. I am looking for proximity as I don't like the idea of a long haul flight after PCA definitive treatment.

But hopefully things could change here, and I am now 5 years down the AS road, and many men last 10 to 15 years, or die with their prostate cancers.

2 hours ago, Ben Zioner said:

Not an  option, at 70+,  you are near certain to  end  up impotent, and probably in nappies as well. While radiotherapy present  similar risks  but the side effects are delayed, and blunt incontinence is unlikely. There is also the risk of rectal damage but this now mitigated by the "Space OAR" hydrogel rectal spacer.

SBRT is become quite popular as the whole treatment can be carried out in 2 to 3 weeks, while IMRT/IGRT can last up to 6 or 7 weeks.

AFAIK the inevitable result of radiotherapy is scarring, which may or may not be serious.

The problem with radiotherapy, apart from side effects, is its uncertainty. It only takes one cancer cell to be missed by the treatment to start the tumor again. If the tumor has metastasized, it is very doubtful radiotherapy would be successful.

• 1 month later...

@whiteflight,  that's good news, hope I can stay a few more years on Active surveillance to give them time  to practice.  

SBRT +   Hydrogel spacer is  likely to send Da Vinci prostatectomy into oblivion. 

Edited by Ben Zioner