How to deal with an overwhelmingly negative opinion of Thai people.

bob smith

2 hours ago, bogs smith said:

I would like to. but in my current situation its very hard if not impossible to do that. I am however working on a plan to isolate myself even more than I currently do. not sure how that will affect my mentality but it might not be too good? 

Isolation is a good remedy..

I thoroughly enjoy it in my later yrs.

Incidentally, I agree with the o.p..and then some..

He should be making plans for an exit at some point.

It's not gonna get any better.

I've had this happen, mostly when I lived in S. Korea. I used to take the bus to Incheon airport every 3 months to renew my Visa. A lot of times Koreans wouldn't sit next to me..then one day the bus was full so a Korean had to sit next to me lol.

Another time I was in the very back and the bus was completely full except for a seat by a foreigner. Oh yeah, I was watching this situation like a hawk! We came to a bus stop and the Korean had to sit next to that foreigner. And to my absolute amazement, he sat with his legs dangling over the arm rest, where his back was to the foreigner and his legs were dangling into the aisle! 

Finally, a friend of mine reminded me I'm a foreigner, the media bashes us foreigners. The people easily become brainwashed that we all have diseases, a cough, a cold, the flu. I do take countermeasures, however. I try to leave a good impression, I crack a joke, or ask an innocent question..something they don't get very often. I also wear a mask, I think this really helps as well.

Finally, if I'm out and about alone I notice they're very wary of me, much more than if I'm with a friend. I call it "The Curse of the Lone Wolf". A man, alone, he's got to be up to no good. 

• Like 2

With the example you give I could answer you easily.

You annoy the mask behavior while that person might be simply uneducated, or knows if he gets sick he is bankrupt.

I feel sorry for people in these kind of experiences, instead of angry or negative. At the end education here isn’t great and many barely know the world outside thailand, or even more than their own village and province.

I just purposely remind myself in those moments I am lucky.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Dante99 said:

yes

I know people here who are concerned about their perceived negative interactions but I do not know anyone who claims as you do to have no positive interactions in many years.

yes and yes.  Smile at everyone that looks at you every time for a start.

.. and say sawasdee khrup. IAmong other items it's a show of respect, it helps.

Big picture, suggest it's time for you to go online and book a ticket out. 

- You're determined to be frustrated, and

- You make no contribtion to Thailand it seems.

Move on tomorrow.

• Confused 1

Half a lifetime living here ,I have not experienced anything like you discribe ,

so is it me or you , so much negativity on ASEANNOW  , ok criticize them when

they do stupid things ,like trying to beat trains at crossings, their driving skills ,or

lack of , their skill at electricity , had a few "disagreements " with other drivers

when they try to kill me, BUT nothing like the OP describes 

regards worgeordie

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

i call bs on this gargamon. you are likely blind to your own surroundings. thais are racists

i fully agree with the op. things he described happen to me regularly. thais have a flock mentality and cannot be next to a farang if they have a choice. anyone joking about op's smell can take a good look at themselves first. thais are actually pretty smelly and often reek of garlic or stinky fish or whatever they eat. at times i will ask a thai who moved after i sat next to them 'pen arai crap? mai chob falang mai? just for the kick of seeing the look on their face.

i dont give a rats ass other than that and have come to terms that, in general, thais are ignorant and uneducated and have no cultural awareness and few skills in dealing with anything out of the norm. the many childish girlfriend killings by somchai and over the top aggressive behaviors we read about regularly are enough to convince me i am right  

wow. finally a reply that resonates with me. you are a rose between lots of thorns, sir.

thanks for your honesty. 

• Sad 3
  • Love It 1

11 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Big picture, suggest it's time for you to go online and book a ticket out. 

- You're determined to be frustrated, and

- You make no contribtion to Thailand it seems.

Move on tomorrow.

written like a real lo so red neck. maybe time for you to hit the road jack? how does it feel to be served a dose of your own medicine?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, bogs smith said:

wow. finally a reply that resonates with me. you are a rose between lots of thorns, sir.

thanks for your honesty. 

sure thing. i know what you are describing well. only thing here is most guys think they are above it all and blind to their own surroundings. there is a good reason why many have said that they left thailand with as many friends as they came here with. i love being here, but it is not for the people. i have made a better life for myself here in 20 years than 40 back home. big difference between us, op, is i dont like to be with anyone except my wife. i am a lone wolf

• Like 1

Have had a little of this in the past but minimal nowadays and feel more comfortable around Thais than my own. Perhaps it’s where you live… is it very touristy? Do you try to interact with them much, how’s your Thai? Obviously you should strive to be presentable and be liberal with smiles; Thais are masters at picking up hostility. In your above scenarios, more often than not I’ve had Thais approach me, asking questions etc. Wasn’t always that way. Try to change your mindset a bit and/or smarten up ????

3 minutes ago, marin said:

So you were not looking for advice you were looking for someone who agreed with you. Well after one hundred posts you found one more sad guy who does not fit in here. Blames it on the people and the country. Sad indeed. Maybe you two can PM, meet up and bitch your days away. ????

he was honest. unlike the other posters. i dont care what side of the fence a person is on. honesty is all that matters to me. 

people who go through their lives here and think its nothing but glitter and fairytales are liars. 

Edited by bogs smith
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, bogs smith said:

I would like to kindly ask that everyone please read my post thoroughly and comphrehend everything that I am saying before making any rash judgements. 

thank you all. 

Not bothered to read again, what for, you're determined to be negative when in reality you're just describing small pictures of daily life anywhere.

Or perhap you belive you're special and everybody should stop in their track and give special attention to YOU?

Or is this is a long troll post/thread.

Move on, bye. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, bogs smith said:

a thai woman approcached and noticed there was a farang sat on the table next to hers. she immediately picked up her drinks and moved to another table accross the room.

thhen on the bus on thre way home, there was only 1 seat available so i sat down. the man got up from his seat and stood up instead of having to sit next to a farang. 

Maybe it is your deoderant or lack of lol
seriously there are many reasons why such behaviour exists
one thing we have to learn is the xenophobia runs deep here
don;t forget the fear pushed into the population
always dirty foreigners to blame
i recall once taking a few older friends to lifecare to get full blood work done while here on hols
when looking at all the things tested
a woman (bit too old to be called a girl) with one of the friends asked the nurse "what is chlamydia"
the answer she got was "come from ferang"

one way to avoid negative comments about Thais
is to avoid this forum......????

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, bogs smith said:

I struggle to see how sitting quietly at a table drinking a coffee exerts a superiority complex? enough to make the woman move away? 

did you even read my OP?

I did and I struggle to see why a few locals moving out of your space "hurts" you so much.

Recently I did a border run into Laos at the Thai side while awaiting the bus that takes us over Laos friendship bridge 3-4 older thai women were waiting behind me and my friend when the bus opened the door a few rushed on. We started to climb the stairs on the bus and these Thais behind us said in Thai " look at the Falangs pushing in "My friend speaks fluent thai and turned around and said if you want to go before us you can lol.

• Like 1