Thailand’s military, police on standby for protests if Pita’s PM bid blocked

webfact

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand’s military and police are preparing for mass protests if Move Forward leader Pita Limjaroenrat is prevented from becoming prime minister.

The EC has given the okay.. lets see what the constitutional court say...

but a second failed attempt at the ballot will not go quietly this time. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, h90 said:

Fact is the coup against an illegal government (remember it was a caretaker government that was expired) was NOT violent. There was no resistance.

A woman threatened at knife point by a rapist doesn't resist. So in your book she had consensual sex and wasn't raped....? 

• Like 1

According to the article, “military sources say they believe Pita supporters may rally ahead of the PM vote, in a bid to put pressure on senators.”  

So the military is saying that MFP supporters may rally to put pressure on senators. Via their scare tactics, are the military themselves not trying to put pressure on the senators? What other possible reason could they have to spread such alarms? 

1 hour ago, h90 said:

We know a guy who lost his leg, thanks to the explosive tear gas grenades.
But what is odd: in Thailand they are first far less violent than in Europe, but than it can escalate more.

I agree but the escalation is apart of the behavior of the police and military.. If you protests in Europe or so the police will not block roads with containers, will not use rubber bullets unless it is getting out of hand.. But Marching on the streets, free to go where they want but controlled by police and army is different than blocking, chemical use, etc and even more worse use a law to arrest people, will make the violence worse... While i Europe there is more accepted  within limits than here.

4 hours ago, hughrection said:

They wouldn't dare not allow him to be the PM - would they!

They would. (Doesn't mean that they actually will, but I give Pita a 55% chance to become PM at best; certainly under current political conditions.)

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

Fortunately the poor Isaan boys now have an alternative to the greedy and corrupt Shinawatra family party that now has no meaningful reform policies, in fact no meaningful policies at all other than to bring the party owner home. No need to vote for family business parties owned by billionaires who might deign to throw a few crumbs of their cake to the poor, if they are lucky. 

Establishment probably don't want neither, Shinawatra clan, nor Pita in power. But if they want to stop chaos and further self-enrichment by the former, they won't have another choice but to elect Pita...

1 minute ago, Dcheech said:

The Democrats were/are the Yellow party. You need to deny harder.

The Yellow Shirts were a movement aimed at toppling Shinawatra, Democrats they were not.

IMO there will be another military coup, the elites and establishment have too much to lose if democracy actually takes hold.

The Thai armed forces have so many flag officers to choose from, to put in the figurehead position. Over 1700 of them.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The Yellow Shirts were a movement aimed at toppling Shinawatra, Democrats they were not.

The Yellows were/are the alter ego of the Democratic Party of Thailand. A party which historically has had little to do with democracy. BTW if you are going to try to deflect, up your game.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, h90 said:

If I am the second: I don't condemn peaceful protests.....violence I do condemn.

The right to protest is important and must be protected also for things I don't agree with.

If you condemn violence, you must condemn it on all sides. Don't forget, the present govt came into power on the threat of violence ie great huge tanks standing by to take to the streets. Also the violence committed by Suthep's rabble during his mass protests, don't think I've seen you object to that yet.

Saying that, I'm still concerned about Pita's alleged share ownership and why he didn't get rid before the election, if true.

28 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Appallingly anti-democratic comment; you distill the very essence of everything the Thai electorate have been fighting against

A majority in parliament is anti-democratic when it does not include the party you like???

A majority in parliament (not speaking about the Senators) is per definition democratic.

• Confused 1

34 minutes ago, Dcheech said:

The Democrats were/are the Yellow party. You need to deny harder.

They were half half.....the most yellowish....but they kept their distance to the movement and got harsh criticized for that. And they were strong anti-military and therefore lost in the yellow areas massive. It is more the WEF globalist party

3 hours ago, Expat68 said:

My wife and several Thai friends think the same way as your wife. 

What an utterly disillusioned race of people then... as undeserving as their northern neighbour-but-one. Where do those feelings go? Internalised. Demoralised. Dehumanised in the case of their northern neighbour.-but-one... Hopefully your wives will be wrong.  

Edited by Arthur Mullard

Maybe I'm an outlier, but I could see this turning out differently. If Pita/MF doesn't get the PM, their supporters will simply announce they will stop going to work. Shut down BKK and Phuket for a week, I am pretty certain they will win without a drop of blood or single shot fired.

But I agree with most, this is just some old ghouls trying to hang on to power, when this political theater is over, they will go away.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, koolkarl said:

Obviously Thailand is not a democratic country.  The obvious will of the people is being tossed aside again.  And isn't the prior military takeover of the government treason?  And nothing has happened to the military to date. 

....and largely ignored by any discourse and reason. 

Still able to exist without consensus challenging or questioning. 

• Like 1