Thailand’s military, police on standby for protests if Pita’s PM bid blocked

webfact

3 hours ago, h90 said:

Determine their own destiny=Freedom: If you don't like Marijuana: don't use it.

Tyranny...can be also tyranny of the majority against a minority: Force people to do or not to do something. Less free society.

Sure. Whatever you say.

BTW, I've been an avid smoker and grower for over 50 years; long before it was legal to do in America. But I still cherished the freedoms I had there. A glass half full is better than an empty one.

Edited by RocketDog
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

Sure. Whatever you say.

BTW, I've been an avid smoker and grower for over 50 years; long before it was legal to do in America. But I still cherished the freedoms I had there. A glass half full is better than an empty one.

There should be no laws at all that makes plants illegal, prohibits to grow something at home and consume it.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, Ginner said:

Investment is already steading off, and Thai Bhat is suffering. Thai Bhat now  £1 == B44. From B39 last month.

And they haven't got a clue about the economy. Exports down, but some "experts" from SCB talking about the 'soon recovering Thai baht'! - Yes, the well-to-do need a strong baht for their trips to Switzerland...

2 hours ago, RocketDog said:

I'm more radical than that. I think anybody should be free to do what they want with their own body if not harming others.

So hard drugs, abortion, suicide, selling organs: up to them. Not my concern.

But too many people in every country, especially religious zealots (meaning anybody who 'believes'), think they know best about how people should manage their lives. They are the most insidious and entrenched threat to freedom.

And they are everywhere and always will be. They are the ones to fear and loathe.

I complete agree....my opinion as well....Who gave Prayut, Anutin, Pita, or Trump, Biden, etc etc the right to decide what I can do with my body.

I agree with laws for safety....no murder, no stealing, not lying to customer (selling dangerous food as clean).

But everything where I don't harm someone else should be my business....Putting resources to find user and dealer of steroids for bodybuilder...why is taxpayer money wasted on that???

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Correct. You completely missed the 2019 coup.

Prayuth actually got NO votes at all as he did not stand for election as either a party MP or as a party list MP.

If you don't believe me, please tell us all which seat he stood for and exactly how many votes he got.

You really DO need to up your game and do some research before posting rubbish.

Wikipedia does not agree with you. They have him as Party Leader which is basically always the PM candidate of the party....

copy paste from Wikipedia

image.png.e38cd7854b8f1059f01e8e209b2ceed1.png

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, h90 said:

Wikipedia does not agree with you. They have him as Party Leader which is basically always the PM candidate of the party....

copy paste from Wikipedia

image.png.e38cd7854b8f1059f01e8e209b2ceed1.png

He was never a  member of ANY political party until he joined the UTN this year.

Just because Wikipedia disagrees with me does not make them correct

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prayut_Chan-o-cha

A completely different version of Wikipedia and Prayuth.

Or this one?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Thai_Nation_Party

Which is the correct one?

You need to do more research and up your game.

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, billd766 said:

He was never a  member of ANY political party until he joined the UTN this year.

Just because Wikipedia disagrees with me does not make them correct

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prayut_Chan-o-cha

A completely different version of Wikipedia and Prayuth.

Or this one?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Thai_Nation_Party

Which is the correct one?

You need to do more research and up your game.

Here another link from Prayuts party.....I don't want to defend Prayut, I really dislike him....but he stand in the 2019 election with the Palang Pracharaths party and won the majority of the votes....if you like it or not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palang_Pracharath_Party

image.png.9b127f424e2b9d49aa5539a18347b299.pngimage.png.9b127f424e2b9d49aa5539a18347b299.png

Edited by h90
added link

49 minutes ago, h90 said:

I complete agree....my opinion as well....Who gave Prayut, Anutin, Pita, or Trump, Biden, etc etc the right to decide what I can do with my body.

I agree with laws for safety....no murder, no stealing, not lying to customer (selling dangerous food as clean).

But everything where I don't harm someone else should be my business....Putting resources to find user and dealer of steroids for bodybuilder...why is taxpayer money wasted on that???

The simple answer is that the people obsessed with running other people's lives seek and obtain the power and money to do just that by any means possible.

The people interested in only their own lives don't do that. Money and power attract each other and invite collusion to further their own agendas of control.

This is a story as old as humankind.   The oppressed and the oppressors, the repressed and the repressors, the   bosses and the workers, the politicians and the voters, etc. 

It will never end and can never end because people are people and it's what we do.

We're fundamentally still just large-brained monkeys slinging feces at each other.

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RocketDog said:

The simple answer is that the people obsessed with running other people's lives seek and obtain the power and money to do just that by any means possible.

The people interested in only their own lives don't do that. Money and power attract each other and invite collusion to further their own agendas of control.

This is a story as old as humankind.   The oppressed and the oppressors, the repressed and the repressors, the   bosses and the workers, the politicians and the voters, etc. 

It will never end and can never end because people are people and it's what we do.

We're fundamentally still just large-brained monkeys slinging feces at each other.

Yes.....I can understand the lust for power and money. But even as evil dictator I wouldn't have a problem if the slaves enjoy their free time.....In Nordkorea is no law for Marijuana, never been...it was an UN agenda and NK didn't care them.

Hitler hated smoking and drinking. He wanted to ban smoking for the health of his people. But thought during hard war times it is one of the few things they can enjoy so rather let them. If you see todays radical anti smoker, it makes them look like moderates.

This is often people who want to improve the world or society.

2 hours ago, h90 said:

Here another link from Prayuts party.....I don't want to defend Prayut, I really dislike him....but he stand in the 2019 election with the Palang Pracharaths party and won the majority of the votes....if you like it or not.

image.png.9b127f424e2b9d49aa5539a18347b299.pngimage.png.9b127f424e2b9d49aa5539a18347b299.png

But you ARE defending him.

Please tell us when Pratuth joined the PPRP, what constituency did he stand for and how many votes did he get?

2019 Elections
Main article: 2019 Thai general election
Since its founding, the party has been widely criticized for its leaders' close relationship to the junta and alleged abuse of their cabinet positions to fund-raise and campaign for Palang Pracharath. While Prayut had strong ties to Palang Pracharath, campaigned in a quasi-political fashion to promote himself in 2017-2018 prior to election campaigning being legally permitted,[24] and was seen as its real leader, he was not an official member of the party. In late January, 2019, after the publication of the royal decree formalizing the election, four Prayut cabinet ministers resigned from their positions to campaign full-time.[25] As, under the new constitution, parties are allowed to name non-members as their prime minister candidates, the following day, the party announced their three candidates for prime minister would be Prayut Chan-o-cha, Uttama Savanayana, and current deputy prime minister, Somkid Jatusripitak.[16] On February 8, 2019, the party announced that their only PM candidate would be Prayut. Uttama, party leader, remarked that with Prayut as the PM candidate, Palang Pracharath would become "invincible."[26]

Prayut was nominated and was duly elected Prime Minister of Thailand by members of the lower house and every member of the junta-appointed Senate save one, returning him to the position he had held as junta leader.[24]

Notes
 Prayut was nominated as the Palang Pracharath Party Prime Minister candidate but not a party member.

Once again another Wikipedia article that differs from the one that you posted.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Because this is the most likely scenario if he's blocked, I guess they will let him "in" on an extremely short leash. Once his party proposes any legislation to reforms 112 or the military, the courts will expel him.

• Like 1

When you look at it through lenses untainted by western philosophy, you are bound to reach the conclusion that no way will Pita become the next PM.  Perhaps the first mistake is to assume that democracy carries any real weight in this land; it really doesn't. The powers that be carry huge sway in this country- like it or lump it that the way it is- in boardrooms, institutions, courts, everywhere in fact. Still, this is Thailand. I rather suspect this will be played out on the streets.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, billd766 said:

But you ARE defending him.

Please tell us when Pratuth joined the PPRP, what constituency did he stand for and how many votes did he get?

2019 Elections
Main article: 2019 Thai general election
Since its founding, the party has been widely criticized for its leaders' close relationship to the junta and alleged abuse of their cabinet positions to fund-raise and campaign for Palang Pracharath. While Prayut had strong ties to Palang Pracharath, campaigned in a quasi-political fashion to promote himself in 2017-2018 prior to election campaigning being legally permitted,[24] and was seen as its real leader, he was not an official member of the party. In late January, 2019, after the publication of the royal decree formalizing the election, four Prayut cabinet ministers resigned from their positions to campaign full-time.[25] As, under the new constitution, parties are allowed to name non-members as their prime minister candidates, the following day, the party announced their three candidates for prime minister would be Prayut Chan-o-cha, Uttama Savanayana, and current deputy prime minister, Somkid Jatusripitak.[16] On February 8, 2019, the party announced that their only PM candidate would be Prayut. Uttama, party leader, remarked that with Prayut as the PM candidate, Palang Pracharath would become "invincible."[26]

Prayut was nominated and was duly elected Prime Minister of Thailand by members of the lower house and every member of the junta-appointed Senate save one, returning him to the position he had held as junta leader.[24]

Notes
 Prayut was nominated as the Palang Pracharath Party Prime Minister candidate but not a party member.

Once again another Wikipedia article that differs from the one that you posted.

Nobody cares, he served his term.

Don’t like him but Thailand didn’t do badly under his tenure.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

Nobody cares, he served his term.

Don’t like him but Thailand didn’t do badly under his tenure.

Millions of Thai people cared and still do. That is why he and the UTN only got a smaller number of votes and MPs

Thailand did worse under Prayuth than any other leader.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

How?

Take a look at Thailand's neighbours and at ASEAN and compare them with Thailand.

Look at the elections for example or the short term money flying out of Thailand.

How about the forex rate which is slowly dropping?

How about exports which are expanding or contracting depending on which reports you want to read.

Tourism. Is it up or down?

Back some 20 years and 2 military coups ago, when Thaksin was PM, Thailand was described as the tiger of Asia. Now it is the paper tiger of Asia.

• Confused 1

To those who keep parroting the "if he didn't break the law, he wouldn't be facing this" line...this "law" was put in place by an illegal government who gained power as the result of a coup and then rewrote the "laws" to ensure the perpetuation of their regime. It's as legitimate as a three-dollar bill.

• Thumbs Up 2

48 minutes ago, MrMojoRisin said:

Already obscene inequality grew and grew and grew because of Prayuth.

I don't think that I would credit Prayuth with that.

It is certainly a weak criticism of Prayuth as the inequality has been built into the culture/system for centuries.

It also grew in Thaksin's time - obscenely in his favour as it happened.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/27/2023 at 2:08 AM, bamnutsak said:

...I can only think this is an issue with the translations? Or the versions used for the translations? For example all the versions I see mention the 350/150 split rather than the 400/100 split now used. Or that we're missing something

I've found the answer. There have been several amendments to the constitution of 2017, I think at least six, but I found only the first one and this did not affect the selection and appointment of the Prime Minister. Therefore, it must be one of the subsequent amendments that brought the Senate into play. 

Puzzle solved.

4 hours ago, Maestro said:

There have been several amendments to the constitution of 2017

It was publicized that The Royal Household made changes to the Constitution AFTER the referendum. But those had more to do with nuances required to accommodate the King's travel outside the Kingdom.

https://www.reuters.com/article/cnews-us-thailand-king-constitution-idCAKBN14X0IF

Regarding the 350/150 v. 400/100 I did see this...interesting timing January 29, 2023.

Thailand’s amended law on constituency and party-list MPs promulgated

The amended Election Act for constituency and party-list MPs came into force today (Sunday) following its publication in the Royal Gazette yesterday.

Under the amended law, there will be 400 constituency and 100 party-list MPs, instead of 350 and 150 as previously stipulated.

The population per constituency seat is determined by the total population of the country, according to the latest census, divided by 400. The number of constituency MPs for each province is based on the population of each province, divided by the number of people eligible for a constituency MP.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thailands-amended-law-on-constituency-and-party-list-mps-promulgated/

I think some of this stuff may be in ancillary documents, like the "Election Act"?

10 hours ago, MrMojoRisin said:

How many would you like to have died before you feel comfortable describing the coup as violent? Is one enough?

Several.....

If no one is injured or died it was not violent. You call it illegal coup or immoral coup, whatever but there was no violence.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, h90 said:

Several.....

If no one is injured or died it was not violent. You call it illegal coup or immoral coup, whatever but there was no violence.

A coup is defined as a violent and unlawful seizure of power from an elected government.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, h90 said:

Several.....

Sporadic violence, including shootings, bomb attempts and grenades thrown at protesters led to 28 deaths and over 800 injuries during the course of the protests.