Barriers to transgender people accessing Thailand’s healthcare system

webfact

9 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

not taking sides in this argument ...  but ... it is a relatively new word.

Cisgender was added to the Oxford English Dictionary in 2015

-The prefix “cis-” comes from the Latin meaning “on this side,” as opposed to “trans-” which means “on the other side of” or “beyond.” Source McGill University

Cisgender is relatively new but Cis as a prefix is as old as the hills and is used extensively as a descriptor in science and medicine. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

If I inadvertently misuse any of the ‘LGBTQIA2S+’ letters/pronouns/whatever's I would be hounded  and abused by persons..........

Mate you literally used just LGBT in a previous post.   Where do you need to use LGBTQIA2S+’ letters/pronouns? I've never had to. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

There is nothing fake about my outrage at you and your ilk using slur words about me!

If I inadvertently misuse any of the ‘LGBTQIA2S+’ letters/pronouns/whatever's I would be hounded  and abused by persons (letter unknown) pick from ‘LGBTQIA2S+’, just as you are hounding me for being called something I will NOT identify as!

Why can't you and your ‘LGBTQIA2S+’ community not talk very quietly amongst yourselves about how you want to "identify" yourselves and leave the rest of us alone without  all the ‘LGBTQIA2S+’ hassle and nonsense!

Each to their own and leave each other alone is my motto!

Its not a slur. 

• Sad 2

8 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

"Cisgender" sounds a bit like a disease... What's wrong with the good old 'heterosexual'? (I know it's not 100% the same, but I don't feel comfortable to get labelled with 'weird' words, only because a small minority, who feels they are something else than what they actually are, feels more comfortable thanks to such, relatively new, labels...

You state these people 「feels they are something else than what they actually are」sounds more like an ingrained  bias than rational opinion. This kind of thinking has resulted an actual  state of emergency for the LGBTQ+ community in my country (US). Now fanned by vile political demagogues and their minions, the religious fanatics and reactionaries, mostly right-wingers.

Die hard conservatism and traditionalism has nothing to so with science or prevailing medical opinion, which is not on their side. Trans men are men. It might sound "weird" bur cisgender is just a harmless neologism and has been around a long time. Trans men who are attracted to persons who present as so-called "women" are heterosexuals. It does not matter what organs they have in/ on them or what was written on a birth certificate.

http://t-vox.org/information/definitions/cisgender

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, KhunLA said:

cisgender ... another word invented (1955), with popular use in 1970.

To me, means absolutely nothing.  I refuse to even acknowledge this silly new word.

I am a male H. sapien ... call me that, or use my name.

Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Chordata
Class: Mammalia
Order: Primates
Suborder: Haplorhini
Infraorder: Simiiformes
Family: Hominidae
Subfamily: Homininae
Tribe: Hominini
Genus: Homo
Species:
H. sapiens

2 types and only 2 types; male & female

one usually has a penis, and the other can give birth to offspring

Do with what you want after you're born, but you are either or; male or female.

A male will never give birth, and female will never have a penis 

If there are 2 types and only 2 types only what type then s Austin Texas human rights comissoner Alicia Roth Weigel? She was born in her own words "with balls".

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-9478313/Person-no-idea-intersex-read-magazine-article-word-27.html

download.jpeg

• Confused 2

3 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

If there are 2 types and only 2 types only what type then s Austin Texas human rights comissoner Alicia Roth Weigel? She was born in her own words "with balls".

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-9478313/Person-no-idea-intersex-read-magazine-article-word-27.html

download.jpeg

Yes, I know there are the rare cases of nature having an oops.  Tough call for parents & docs, and hope they make the right one at the time.  If only one complete set of sex organs then easy call, if both ... good luck.  Start counting chromosomes. 

Xs & Ys ... there are no Zs people.  Only in your mind, and please keep it to yourselves.  The rest of us don't care.

I think I'll parade around the resort tomorrow ... 'I'm a man, I'm a man, I'm a man'

Edited by KhunLA
  • Love It 1

18 hours ago, KhunLA said:

and the other can give birth to offspring

So a person beyond childbearing age cannot be a woman?  ???? Might wanna think about that.

How about an XY person with Fallopian tubes and a rudimentary uterus? Male or female?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/26/2023 at 2:49 PM, loong said:

Why would cisgender people be even remotely likely to face discrimination??

I was born a man, I live life as a man and I have no problem when other people refer to me as a man.

Someone who doesn't like men might treat you badly because you are a man.  That is discrimination.

Cisgender is NOT a slur. FACT.

On the other hand snowflake is a slur.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/columnist/2023/06/22/elon-musk-cisgender-slur-twitter-anti-trans-policies/70343998007/

Elon Musk declares 'cisgender' a slur on Twitter. What about 'fragile man with big ego'?

In the latest episode of “Wealthy White Dudes Get Their Tender Feelings Hurt By An Adjective” self-proclaimed free-speech absolutist Elon Musk has decided the word “cisgender” is a slur.

The owner of one of the largest social media megaphones on the planet issued the following edict via tweet this week: "The words 'cis' or 'cisgender' are considered slurs on this platform."

This came as news to most people, as the word “cisgender,” according to Merriam-Webster, simply means: “of, relating to, or being a person whose gender identity corresponds with the sex the person had or was identified as having at birth.”

Edited by Jingthing
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Cisgender

What happened to "normal"?  Enough people identify as the gender they were born as to allow it to safely be considered "normal", don't they?

Normally sighted, normally abled, normal gender?  It seems like terms already existed before "cisgender" was invented.

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

It's the hip thing to demonize and scapegoat.

ummmmm....

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

In the latest episode of “Wealthy White Dudes Get Their Tender Feelings Hurt By An Adjective”

• Thanks 1

This link covers a lot about the word cisgender. But i want to mention something that I don't see discussed elsewhere. A reason why the word NORMAL is not nearly as good or as precise as cisgender.

Ignoring the "othering" aspects mentioned in the link, consider this.

Someone says -- I'm normal. I'm a normal man. 

What is he saying?

That he likes sports?

That he doesn't call again after the first date?

That he's heterosexual?

That he is a born male that identifies as male?

You don't know!

You need to add more information to know what he means.

When you say heterosexual you know he's talking about his sexual orientation. In one word!

When you say cisgender, you know he's talking about his gender identity. In one word!

Yes, again, cisgender is not a slur in the slightest, but is in fact a very useful word.

‘We’re just normal, why do you call us cis?’ | by Allison Washington | CROSSIN(G)ENRES (crossingenres.com)

• Sad 2