Trump claims US does not have ‘real elections,’ calls for paper ballots

Social Media

File:Donald Trump (29496131773).jpg - Wikimedia Commons

Former President Trump took his latest swipe at the United States election system during a speech to Michigan Republicans on Sunday.

During a speech to Oakland County Republicans in Michigan on Sunday, Trump said that he saved the steel industry in Michigan by placing tariffs on foreign aluminum and steel when he was president. He said that there would be no country without steel, borders or elections, which he said were “fake” in the U.S.

“And if you don’t have steel, you don’t have a country, like borders, like elections, got to have real elections,” he said during the keynote address. “We don’t really real elections, we have fake elections.”

Trump, who has repeatedly falsely claimed the 2020 election was stolen from him, also said that he wants same-day voting on Election Day, paper ballots and instating requirements for voter ID. He said Democrats do not want to implement those measure because they want to “cheat.”

FULL STORY

image.png

• Sad 2
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Isaan sailor said:

81 million votes for Biden?  Mail in voting.  What could possibly go wrong?

Well, I hope Trump succeeds in getting Republican voters not to vote in advance. This is directly contrary to what most of the GOP concerned with voting turnout wants which is to encourage early voting.

3 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Now belatedly realizing he blew it, he's now advocating mail in voting. The acolytes haven't got the memo yet. His strategy was to try to stop vote counting after election day in person voting closed. It didn't work. Dumb as a box of hammers.

Is he? Not according to this article. And I haven't found any evidence that he's pushing for mail-in voting.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Is he? Not according to this article. And I haven't found any evidence that he's pushing for mail-in voting.

Just another example of fickle Trump policies. I never get why people vote for this detritus.

After years of claiming mail-in voting is rife with fraud, some Republicans – including former President Donald Trump – are working to reverse course ahead of next year’s consequential presidential and congressional elections.

Trump, now waging his third White House bid, told attendees at the Conservative Political Action Conference earlier this month that it’s time to “change our thinking” on early and mail-in voting.

That’s a stark reversal for a politician who last November issued an all-caps declaration on his Truth Social account alleging, in part, “YOU CAN NEVER HAVE FAIR & FREE ELECTIONS WITH MAIL-IN BALLOTS – NEVER, NEVER, NEVER.”

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/03/15/politics/trump-republicans-mail-in-voting/index.html

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Just another example of fickle Trump policies. I never get why people vote for this detritus.

After years of claiming mail-in voting is rife with fraud, some Republicans – including former President Donald Trump – are working to reverse course ahead of next year’s consequential presidential and congressional elections.

Trump, now waging his third White House bid, told attendees at the Conservative Political Action Conference earlier this month that it’s time to “change our thinking” on early and mail-in voting.

That’s a stark reversal for a politician who last November issued an all-caps declaration on his Truth Social account alleging, in part, “YOU CAN NEVER HAVE FAIR & FREE ELECTIONS WITH MAIL-IN BALLOTS – NEVER, NEVER, NEVER.”

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/03/15/politics/trump-republicans-mail-in-voting/index.html

OK. And now he's saying the opposite once again. Whoever would have thought the Trump could be inconsistent?

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, pomchop said:

They are fake only when he loses but if he wins then they are perfect.

Is there anything that he does not lie about and yet his MAGA morons buy it all hook line and sinker even after all these years...fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me is a line that some of the MAGAs might want to think about.

Yes.  This is why I say the Dems are not running against against him or the GOP, they are running against the stories him and his followers come up with.  Also, he and his reveal their own skullduggery in their accusations of the Dems.  He'll talk of how they hate the country and want to destroy it, but it was "his people" doing the 1/6 stuff.

And then there is this a nearly endless series of things like this:

How a Trump appointee tried to destroy Voice of America

Around a week before the 2016 election he began saying the upcoming election was rigged.  After he was declared winner he should have been challenged on this by either authorities or the media: "So, this election was rigged?  Do tell!"

• Like 2

14 hours ago, candide said:

Considering that a large share of MAGA folks not only believe in the Big Lie conspiracy, but also believe in the pizzagate and birther conspiracies (among others), how would you call these morons?

Trumps base! Lowly educated redneck supporters!

7 minutes ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

When both sides deny the legitimacy of the President after their side loses, clearly work needs to be done to allow forensic audits.

What amuses me, is after the biggest politicaians on the left spent 4 years calling Trump illegitimate, they lost their minds after Trump reciprocated. Not many democrats know their own leaders are notorious "election deniers".

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-12-04/hakeem-jeffries-weighs-in-on-election-denier-label-trump-attack-on-constitution

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/hillary-clinton-trump-is-an-illegitimate-president/2019/09/26/29195d5a-e099-11e9-b199-f638bf2c340f_story.html

https://www.insider.com/joe-biden-says-he-agrees-trump-is-illegitimate-president-2019-5

Time for paper ballots, and any other actions that can be taken so that BOTH SIDES can start to accept the results.

You've tried this silly word game before actually. When Democrats said illegitimate they were referring to the fact that the Russians aided in Trump's election by hacking into the Democrats computers and creating troll farms to foster  disinformation. It was not about claiming massive ballot fraud. A handful of democratic representatives in the house voted against confirming Trump's victory. Whereas about 2/3 of Republican representatives in the house voted against confirming Biden's. No Democratic senators voted against Trump's confirmation. I think it was eight or nine Republican senators voted against Biden's confirmation. The Obama administration did not attempt to overturn the election results. The unconstitutional attempts of the Trump administration have been thoroughly chronicled. There was certainly no massive progressive media campaign attempting to debunk the validity of the vote tally. Whereas  lunacy and mendacity  was a consistent feature of right-wing media for the four years following that election. We see how well that worked out for Fox.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

When both sides deny the legitimacy of the President after their side loses, clearly work needs to be done to allow forensic audits.

What amuses me, is after the biggest politicaians on the left spent 4 years calling Trump illegitimate, they lost their minds after Trump reciprocated. Not many democrats know their own leaders are notorious "election deniers".

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-12-04/hakeem-jeffries-weighs-in-on-election-denier-label-trump-attack-on-constitution

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/hillary-clinton-trump-is-an-illegitimate-president/2019/09/26/29195d5a-e099-11e9-b199-f638bf2c340f_story.html

https://www.insider.com/joe-biden-says-he-agrees-trump-is-illegitimate-president-2019-5

Time for paper ballots, and any other actions that can be taken so that BOTH SIDES can start to accept the results.

Come on! Not this false equivalence B.S again.....

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1