Not working, just helping the wife

3 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

In my understanding, you can chat up guests until you're blue in the face. There are many restaurants/bars/guesthouses that run this way. The foreign husband/financier mucks about and chats the patrons. But no, you cannot check anyone in, touch money, move anything, etc.... As CharlieH said, I suppose immi can mess with you with any excuse they want. I would go talk to them directly, perhaps, and explain the situation asking what you can/can't do. This could also be bad advice if it alerts them to keep eyes on the place.

Excellent, thanks for that????

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Married Visa, GO TALK to them and find out, areas etc as always will vary.

Its because of this inconsistency you are potential danger. what has happened in one area doesnt follow it will automaticaly happen in another. SPEAK to the people in YOUR area they are the one who will unltimately take action. Get it from the horses mouth.

Will do, thanks Charlie????????

• Like 2

Technically not allowed.

However, I am sure most of us have mowed the lawn, painted a wall, cut down a tree, cleaned a pool etc. all of which are not technically allowed.

Personally I try to keep it as low key as possible when doing stuff on our farm. I wouldn't normally do much near the entrance to the property but I do till the dirt on my motocross track using my tractor, I also cut down any trees impeding the track and generally keep it tidy but the fields are a few hundred metres behind the house. 

Personally I would avoid contact with customers that could be construed as doing a job. You never know when someone from immigration will turn up, maybe in a private capacity and then see you "working". Sitting and having a chat with them would be fine, but I wouldn't start serving them drinks, checking them in etc.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, BritTim said:

To make clear something that no one else has: immigration has nothing to do with work permits. If looking for official advice on what you can or cannot do in terms of working, you need to talk with the Labour Department. If you work without a work permit (or do work that is not specified in your work permit) then the Labour Department may well enlist Immigration or other police to assist in the enforcement activities.

The Labour Department can be very helpful and friendly sometimes if you approach them in a respectful manner. It will be difficult to satisfy the requirements for a work permit if your wife's business does not have a couple of other Thai employees and enough paid up capital. Even with a work permit, you will not be able to engage in activities that fall under occupations restricted to Thais (which includes almost everything involved in running a small resort).

If you happen to be a US national, there may be options available under the Treaty of Amity, though you would need a clever lawyer to be able to take advantage.

Under the Treaty you still will not be allowed to do work,it only applies to

ownership of the company.

7 minutes ago, jvs said:

Under the Treaty you still will not be allowed to do work,it only applies to

ownership of the company.

With expert legal assistance, it can assist with getting a work permit (as the owner of a sole proprietorship). It is still not easy, and the rules on occupations restricted to Thais still exists.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, BritTim said:

To make clear something that no one else has: immigration has nothing to do with work permits. If looking for official advice on what you can or cannot do in terms of working, you need to talk with the Labour Department. If you work without a work permit (or do work that is not specified in your work permit) then the Labour Department may well enlist Immigration or other police to assist in the enforcement activities.

The Labour Department can be very helpful and friendly sometimes if you approach them in a respectful manner. It will be difficult to satisfy the requirements for a work permit if your wife's business does not have a couple of other Thai employees and enough paid up capital. Even with a work permit, you will not be able to engage in activities that fall under occupations restricted to Thais (which includes almost everything involved in running a small resort).

If you happen to be a US national, there may be options available under the Treaty of Amity, though you would need a clever lawyer to be able to take advantage.

Good post.

It is fairly straight forward getting a work permit on a marriage visa. You havent bought yet so when you do just make sure you structure it correctly.

A few forms to fill out and you are ready to go.

Another option is to pay your local immigration a monthy "gratitude" to turn a blind eye. The Labour Dept grants the work permit but it will be immigration that causes you problems.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, FritsSikkink said:

Not a smart move, once you start paying, you will keep paying and they can rise the amount anytime.  

Not from my experience.

I expanded x3 and they gave me a two for three deal. 

Everyone wins.

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1

The Thai authorities' biggest concern when it comes to foreigners working in Thailand is whether they are taking away work from Thais who could do it instead.

That would make the OP a prime target, as "helping around" the wife's resort clearly is something a Thai could do, more specifically a Thai the wife would then have to hire.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, gearbox said:

He can...as long as the authorities are not able to pin him. For example doing the bookkeeping, internet marketing, replying to guests emails and reviews etc. Definitely not meet and greet or anything where a pic or video can be taken.

Bookkeeping and internet marketing require certain skills and contacts with external people. Emails can be done if the content or email address doesn't refer back to him. What do you want to review?

Edited by FritsSikkink