US Supreme Court strikes down student loan forgiveness plan

Social Media

Probably the only decision this current illegitimate, un-Supreme Court has made with which I concur. When I was college aged, I realized then that I could not afford, nor want to be saddled with, such a debt load. It's called taking responsibility and living within ones means. Had I taken the loans, I would have repaid them on-time, every time. Never made a late payment or bounced a check. So didn't go to college, retired at 59 with a credit rating of 813. Suck it up buttercups

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

"The percentage of adults in the U. S. between the ages of 25 to 64 with college degrees, certificates, or industry-recognized certifications, has increased from 37.9% in 2009 to 53.7% in 2021.." from Forbes.

Don't know how many took out loans, but must ask why should 47% of adults without degrees have to pay off debts of those who got degrees, and allegedly higher income as a result?

What might be fair is for Congress to pass a bill giving every high school graduate a $10,000 grant towards further education. Could be used at technical/trade school. non degree ed as well as traditional colleges. High school diploma just isn't enough in today's world.

I have a BBA and a masters. I never expected the government to forgive my debts. However, that was a long time ago and the $125 a term  would now be $903. Figures for in state tuition/fees per years (Oregon) are now $24,000+.... ouch! college tuitions by state

2 hours ago, Emdog said:

"The percentage of adults in the U. S. between the ages of 25 to 64 with college degrees, certificates, or industry-recognized certifications, has increased from 37.9% in 2009 to 53.7% in 2021.." from Forbes.

Don't know how many took out loans, but must ask why should 47% of adults without degrees have to pay off debts of those who got degrees, and allegedly higher income as a result?

What might be fair is for Congress to pass a bill giving every high school graduate a $10,000 grant towards further education. Could be used at technical/trade school. non degree ed as well as traditional colleges. High school diploma just isn't enough in today's world.

I have a BBA and a masters. I never expected the government to forgive my debts. However, that was a long time ago and the $125 a term  would now be $903. Figures for in state tuition/fees per years (Oregon) are now $24,000+.... ouch! college tuitions by state

"What might be fair is for Congress to pass a bill giving every high school graduate..." that gets a 1200 on the SAT "...a $10,000 grant towards further education..." anything they want. 

The government guarantying the loans just drive up the cost of education up. 

Forgiving (or talking about forgiving) the loans (clearly pandering for votes) dissuades people from paying back the loans. 

Notice how this comes every election cycle, we'll be hearing about the minimum wage again soon. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Seems some folks are not real happy with the issue, either here on the forum or in the US.

https://www.npr.org/2023/07/01/1185327143/student-loan-forgiveness-supreme-court-reactions

Friday's Supreme Court decision striking down President Biden's student loan cancellation plan has left a lot of borrowers wondering: Where do we go from here?

"I would say Congress needs to pass this, but that's not going to happen," says Graeme Strickland, a 25-year-old borrower in Raleigh, N.C. "It's become a culture war around this issue. And like, this is my income. This affects the money I'm able to spend on groceries."

Strickland attended the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, as an in-state student. In order to attend, he had to take out roughly $30,000 in federal loans, which is on par with the national average for a bachelor's degree from a public institution.

3 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Seems some folks are not real happy with the issue, either here on the forum or in the US.

https://www.npr.org/2023/07/01/1185327143/student-loan-forgiveness-supreme-court-reactions

Friday's Supreme Court decision striking down President Biden's student loan cancellation plan has left a lot of borrowers wondering: Where do we go from here?

"I would say Congress needs to pass this, but that's not going to happen," says Graeme Strickland, a 25-year-old borrower in Raleigh, N.C. "It's become a culture war around this issue. And like, this is my income. This affects the money I'm able to spend on groceries."

Strickland attended the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, as an in-state student. In order to attend, he had to take out roughly $30,000 in federal loans, which is on par with the national average for a bachelor's degree from a public institution.

Yes, I don't doubt the people that borrowed the money want everyone else to pay it back, and they are not real happy that their "welfare" has been delayed.

Dude (Graeme Strickland) is only 25 years old and has not even tried to pay it back. "And like, this is my income. This affects the money I'm able to spend on groceries." Poor dude. 

He's 25, has a bachelor's degree and owes $30K and he's begging. Don't worry Graeme, the left will save you! 

$30K is a low-end new car, I wonder what "Graeme" is driving...

• Thumbs Up 1

Admittedly, I don’t understand why a country charges so much for an education that kids are indebted their whole life. I always assumed that education was a way of giving kids a start in life, so they could later get jobs and help the economy and development of the nation.

There are countries that provide free education you know, including most of Western Europe, Slovenia (foreigners can get free education) and others.

Why are the military, police and fire service considered free services but not schools?

Edited by Purdey

23 minutes ago, novacova said:

Wrong. The Idea of being an American is self ownership independence self reliance. NOT dependence on government. Something that a lot of non US citizens and unfortunately many US citizens are incapable of conceiving. 

I disagree with you therefore your opinion is wrong. 

Unfortunate that you're incapable of conceiving differences of opinion.

• Haha 1

Just now, Purdey said:

Admittedly, I don’t understand why a country charges so much an education that kids are indebted their whole life. I always assumed that education was a way of giving kids a start in life, so they could later get jobs and help the economy and development of the nation.

There are countries that provide free education you know, including most of Western Europe, Slovenia (foreigners can get free education) and others.

Why are the military, police and fire service considered free services but not schools?

The country does not charge for education. Education in the US is compulsory and "free" K-12. 

If someone robs you, the police will respond for "free" 

If you need extra security at your concert, the police charge you. 

Everyone is at risk of being robbed. 

Everyone does not go to the concert.

Everyone goes K-12

Everyone does not go to university. 

If we (the US) want to make university education "free" make it compulsory as well. 

1 minute ago, Yellowtail said:

If we (the US) want to make university education "free" make it compulsory as well. 

I was think more along the lines of giving everyone an opportunity even if they are dirt poor. My university education was free as a kid and it really helped me as my parents were too poor to pay.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

If someone robs you, the police will respond for "free" 

If you need extra security at your concert, the police charge you. 

Equally so;

If you use the University for your education it should be free.

If you need a private tutor you should pay for it. 

4 minutes ago, Purdey said:

Equally so;

You think that everyone that wants to go to university should be allowed to go for free, or do you think they should have to score a minimum on a test of some kind? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Purdey said:

Equally so;

Do you think the people that do not need the private tutor should have to pay for the private tutor the people that need private tutoring use? 

9 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

You think that everyone that wants to go to university should be allowed to go for free, or do you think they should have to score a minimum on a test of some kind? 

Rich people don't have to pay interest on student loans because they don';t have to take them out. Hence the inequality.

1 minute ago, ozimoron said:

Rich people don't have to pay interest on student loans because they don';t have to take them out. Hence the inequality.

Rich people will take out loans when the government starts forgiving loans, and once it's "free", it will be free for them as well. 

Do you think that everyone that wants to go to university should be allowed to go for free, or do you think they should have to score a minimum on a test of some kind? 

11 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Rich people will take out loans when the government starts forgiving loans, and once it's "free", it will be free for them as well. 

Do you think that everyone that wants to go to university should be allowed to go for free, or do you think they should have to score a minimum on a test of some kind? 

It the student loan forgiveness program isn't available for rich people. And nobody gets into university without minimum test scores. Admission policies are off topic here, this topic is about student loan forgiveness, not some far right talking points.

Edited by ozimoron

34 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

It the student loan forgiveness program isn't available for rich people.

Only a tiny fraction of high school graduates and others that apply for student loans are rich.

And nobody gets into university without minimum test scores.

Not true, many universities do not require you take a test to get in, including but not limited to Harvard University, Stanford University and Columbia University.

Admission policies are off topic here, this topic is about student loan forgiveness, not some far right talking points.

Indeed. 

Just now, Yellowtail said:

Only a tiny fraction of high school graduates and others that apply for student loans are rich.

Not true, many universities do not require you take a test to get in, including but not limited to Harvard University, Stanford University and Columbia University.

Indeed. 

As I sadi but you missed the point, rich students don't even apply for student loans and therefore never have to pay them back with interest. Inequality.

Universities that don't have an entrance exam still rely on high school exam results. Same thing.

3 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

As I sadi but you missed the point, rich students don't even apply for student loans and therefore never have to pay them back with interest. Inequality.

Why would a rich parent pay for tuition if their poor child can borrow the money and not pay it back? 

Unless you have piles of cash hidden in your basement, whether you borrow money to pay for something, or pay for it directly, you are still effectively paying interest. If one pays cash for something, they lose the growth they would otherwise have earned from the investment, yes? It's called the time value of money. Surly you've heard of this. 

Would it not make more sense to end the educational tax deductions the greedy rich benefit from? 

3 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Universities that don't have an entrance exam still rely on high school exam results. Same thing.

I would support 100 "free" university education for everyone if entrance was based purely on academic meritocracy, you?

Assuming you show up most of the time, I do not believe there are exams you have to pass to graduate from the typical US public high school. Of course, if you show up most of the time you will likely have to take some tests and what not, but because the tests are all racist I think they have been largely eliminated. 

• Like 1