Thai Mobile Banking Apps Crash On Payday, Transfers Put Off

webfact

Just goes to show that you need (at least) two mobile banking apps from different banks, plus cash as a backup.

I didn't have any trouble last weekend myself, but had had occasional hiccups with my K-PLUS app in the past. Sucks when it happens. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, jaywalker2 said:

Yes, it's so secure that even the Bank of Thailand came out and advised people to put the bulk of their money in an acccount that's can't be accessed through the app.

I expected the hand-wringers, but for this site, that was fast. You may have even set a new record. Fifteen years and three separate banking apps later, l think l will stand by what I have personally observed. All banks attempt to save the stupid from themselves. As usual, this site often demonstrates the futility of that endeavor. Best of luck to you. 

• Haha 1

I think there were more issues than they admit.

On Saturday at 10pm I cancelled a purchase which I had made on Lazada, and had paid with my Kbank debit card just an hour earlier.

The refund was instantly, with I'm getting the sound notification from my kbank app that a deposit arrived, and Lazada confirming in their app, and by email, that the refund was completed.

Only to find that the refund was not in my account, and still isn't.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kennw said:

Have just received notification from SCB that their SCB Easy Net service ( used via computer and internet) will be stopped on 14th of this month because the SCB Easy Net (phone) is more advanced and secure. 555

SCB obviously does not care about those clients that do not use phones for banking. Shame on them.

You notice when you registered for the mobile app they requested access to all your data and permission to share it with 3rd parties. You can refuse but that data nevertheless remains available to them.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, phetphet said:

Not necessarily. My Bitkub app stopped working the other day after updating. Had to wait a couple of days for another update to fix it.

and money transfer aren't fast...I think also not cheap

16 minutes ago, jaywalker2 said:

You notice when you registered for the mobile app they requested access to all your data and permission to share it with 3rd parties. You can refuse but that data nevertheless remains available to them.

That is the smallest problem of it.....

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, John Drake said:

I have always tried to avoid using the phone for banking or any business transaction. More than 90 percent of my banking is done online on my desktop. 

However, if you are a customer of SCB you will not be able to use online banking on a desktop or laptop after 14th July 2023. Only the app will be available (sometimes?)

• Like 2

Just now, PREM-R said:

However, if you are a customer of SCB you will not be able to use online banking on a desktop or laptop after 14th July 2023. Only the app will be available (sometimes?)

Yes, SCB is one of my three accounts. I have two others at Bangkok Bank. A fourth account if you include my mattress. I have become chary of using SCB, which used to be my main account, and through which my employer paid me. But two trips to them trying to get the facial recognition approved has been a failure. They keep saying it's not for farang. Then, why does the facial recognition work on my Bangkok Bank account? SCB seems to be just cutting corners. They've led the way with ATM and branch closers. Now, SCB Easy.

7 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Yes, SCB is one of my three accounts. I have two others at Bangkok Bank. A fourth account if you include my mattress. I have become chary of using SCB, which used to be my main account, and through which my employer paid me. But two trips to them trying to get the facial recognition approved has been a failure. They keep saying it's not for farang. Then, why does the facial recognition work on my Bangkok Bank account? SCB seems to be just cutting corners. They've led the way with ATM and branch closers. Now, SCB Easy.

I needed to pay something with credit card online....every system is different....Kasikorn did not work, BKK did not work. SCB I didn't even hope for, just tried it to have it all tried...worked without a problem.

Need 3 bank accounts....something works here something there...large amount withdraw on ATM works with Kasikorn....

• Like 1

Just about everything with Thai Banks is dreadful.    Very poor Customer Service generally; long queues, too much Paperwork for every little detail, high charges for Cards etc whilst reducing the number of small branches available around the Country.   Can't expect anything better from Apps or Online Services !

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Received an email from SCB at the weekend informing me that effective 14th July they are doing away with Easy Net and I have to turn to the phone app. If this is a sign of the things to come, I'd much rather just go to a branch and do my banking there. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Xonax said:

I love my cash!  Just imagine how easy your money in an electronic account could be stolen, or even frozen or confiscated by a government.

So you don't use a bank account for the cash that you're not using because the government may confiscate it, is that what you're saying? 

2 hours ago, Songlaw said:

I expected the hand-wringers, but for this site, that was fast. You may have even set a new record. Fifteen years and three separate banking apps later, l think l will stand by what I have personally observed. All banks attempt to save the stupid from themselves. As usual, this site often demonstrates the futility of that endeavor. Best of luck to you. 

Brilliant!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, piewarmer said:

Nigel Farange the ex MP in the old dart has lost all bank access in the UK last week because he is being sanctioned for having a show on RT for a while years ago

the banks all all working together following orders from above

"Nigel Farange [sic] ...has lost all bank access in the UK last week".

1.   He has not lost his banking facilities...yet.

2.  The reason has not been reported as confirmed by anyone, yet, and it will never be.  

"...following orders from above".

Where did you get that gem from and who do you claim is issuing the orders?

"Nigel Farange..."

You don't even know his name, how could you possibly know anything about his banking arrangements!?

2 hours ago, DJ54 said:
4 hours ago, paddypower said:

SCB will cut off the mobile service I use on my PC,, where I do all my banking.

iPad or similar hopefully continues to work…

Only if you've got their mobile app on the iPad.  A online facility that is ceasing to exist cannot be accessed on anything...obviously.