Induction cookers and frying pans?

jil

28 minutes ago, digger70 said:

Over time and a lot off use the Non stick layer will come off no matter what ,even if you use a Plastic or wooden spatula  and don't Scrub the pan.

Just get the non stick out off it and use it like that like a Cast iron pan.

The amount off WATT you put trough the pan 800 or 2000 got nothing to do with how hot they get, they will All Boil/cook to a Hight Temp it all depends how much you put in the Pan.

Any suggestion how to get the non-stick layer removed? 

2 minutes ago, xylophone said:

OOPS.....didn't look at the link!!

I ordered it already but fortunately enough could cancel it in time...????

Edited by jil
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

i bought a cast iron pan and i didn't like it, sticked like a bastard and rusted like a bastard, i binned it

I had to prep & re-season mine, even though a Lodge.  Seems the bean counters thought a rough finish wouldn't effect sales.  If not living here/TH, I would not have bought, as at the time, selection was limited.  Now more available.

To get that nonstick finish, I had to grind/sand down the interior, and re season.  Or else yes, it would be useless for eggs & many things needing a flat surface, aside from searing meats or casserole type dishes.

Now my favorite pan and does/did great pizzas.  Have others cast irons for just eggs & a better pizza griddle now.

image.png.e96cfdef92398d82dc434c3fcded7b7e.png

Don't use on the induction cooker, as stated, they'll scratch the surface up.  Just the SS on the induction cooker.

• Like 2

KhunLA is right about cast iron.  If you want it to be really non-stick you need to grind the cooking surfaces down so they are smooth.  The cast Meyer Iron skillet I bought from Lazada also has a rough surface so it sometimes sticks.  Use a high smoke point vegetable oil (Wikipedia: Template:Smoke point of cooking oils or try using petroleum jelly (Vaseline) for seasoning.  Season upside down in an oven at 400°F(200°C) to 450(230°C) for one hour or more.  Place a tray underneath to catch drips.

Another good alternative is heavy carbon steel cookware.  Both cast iron and a properly designed carbon steel skillet (no plastic or wooden handle) can go into the oven so you can brown meat in the skillet on top the cook stove then finish cooking in the oven: How to Cook the Perfect Steak | Chef Jean-Pierre.

You should fry at about 265°F (130°C).  Teflon won't be a problem at this temperature.

You will get crispy non-greasy fried food at 265°F (130°C).  Lower in temperature and the food, especially if breaded, will absorb the cooking oil and taste greasy.  Much higher in temperature and the most oils will smoke and you will get food that is burnt on the outside and under cooked inside.  You can ensure that you have the right frying temperature very simply by using a non-contact thermometer like this one from Lazada:  Thermometer Cooking Temperature Gun-High Temperature Non Contact Pyrometer For Food Oven Industrial.

A probe thermometer can be used to determine the internal temperature of a liquid or meat (get a fast reading one from Lazada) but I prefer one that gives a continuous output like this that can be used for liquids or can be inserted into the meat with the readout outside the oven: [Ready stock] KIPRUN Digital Oven Thermometer Kitchen Food Cooking Meat BBQ Probe Thermometer with Stainless Steel Probe, Timer Alarm Clock Water Milk Temperature Cooking Tools

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, sandyf said:

They have,  enamel cooking pans would be carbon steel.

Enamel cooking pans may be carbon steel but could also be cast iron or even aluminium. A carbon steel pan is bare carbon steel, an enamel pan is metal coated in enamel.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, alanrchase said:

Enamel cooking pans may be carbon steel but could also be cast iron or even aluminium. A carbon steel pan is bare carbon steel, an enamel pan is metal coated in enamel.

Good tangent. You said nobody had mentioned carbon steel which was incorrect as I had mentioned cast AND enamel, historically enamel pans have been carbon steel.

Aluminium didn't come into it as I had already stated ferritic material.

20 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Good tangent. You said nobody had mentioned carbon steel which was incorrect as I had mentioned cast AND enamel, historically enamel pans have been carbon steel.

Aluminium didn't come into it as I had already stated ferritic material.

Historically enamel cookware started with cast iron. How is anyone supposed to gather that you were talking about carbon steel cookware when you mention enamel pans? 

58 minutes ago, alanrchase said:

Historically enamel cookware started with cast iron. How is anyone supposed to gather that you were talking about carbon steel cookware when you mention enamel pans? 

You've got a point there, Alan!

Wondering how this will end...????

On 7/4/2023 at 12:18 PM, xylophone said:

anyway I have stopped buying Teflon coated pans these days and use the "marbled nonstick" cookware.

I've seen those at Lotus -  Korean product? - and thought that they had teflon-like coating as well. Are you sure they are not coated with anything?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, watthong said:

I've seen those at Lotus -  Korean product? - and thought that they had teflon-like coating as well. Are you sure they are not coated with anything?

My stoneware pan had a glass coating, which started sticking, so I think it was compromise/cracked at spots.  Wasn't a fan afterwards.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

Steel. I bought a fairly cheap wooden handled flat bottomed steel wok in a market when I was cooking with gas. Changed to induction and it was still fine. Season a new one first and never use washing up liquid or scourer to clean, just hot water, leave to soak for a while if food does stick, and a washing up brush ( hard to find those in Thailand, why?) then wipe out with kitchen paper or a cloth. I also use a set of heavy bottomed steel Meyer brand pans ( bought in Europe, made in Thailand!).

• Like 1

22 hours ago, HarrySeaman said:

KhunLA is right about cast iron.  If you want it to be really non-stick you need to grind the cooking surfaces down so they are smooth.  The cast Meyer Iron skillet I bought from Lazada also has a rough surface so it sometimes sticks. 

Hint:  To reduce sticking in a carbon iron or cast iron skillet make sure to first get the temperature up to 265°F (130°C) with a film of oil that won't burn at that temperature.  Then you can add the meat, but then "Don't touch it!".  If you start peaking under the meat before it is browned it will stick.  Once the meat browns it will release itself from the skillet.  The easy way to find out when this has occurred is to gently shake the skillet back and forth and when the meat slides it has browned and released itself from the skillet.  That is when you can lift the meat to see if it is browned to your satisfaction (if not keep browning) before turning to brown the other side(s).