Verbal abuse of Singaporean tourist leads to Phuket van driver being fined 1,000 baht

snoop1130

I have watched with my own eyes how checkpoint police will let thais go for traffic infractions like no insurance, helmet, etc yet a foreigner is always charges the maximum fine for any infraction. The minimum / maximum penalty charges are just biased against foreigners and a joke. Make each penalty 1 charge. Why is it left to the police to decide the level of the penalty just adds to the already existing corruption?

Years ago, I passed a policeman standing on the side of the road. 1 minute later I was pulled over at a police checkpoint. I was accused and charged for speeding 2KM over the speed limit on a major highway just outside of Phuket yet other cars were overtaking me at much higher speeds. The police showed me their radar gun but when I asked for proof it referred to my car, like a kid having a tantrum, this is when the sour face and shouting starts to appear. For the sake of my time and his negativity, I just paid the fine. They gave me a receipt and I went on my way.

6 Months later I go to renew my tax disc where I was informed that I had an outstanding speeding fine logged against my registration plate. I disputed the charge so they asked me for the receipt!! I explained it was over 6 months ago and as i had paid on the road side and i didn't think I needed to keep the receipt for 6 months. Again out comes the sour face and the "Pay or I am not talking with you" attitude with no further discussion. In this case, I ended up paying twice as they were holding my new tax disc hostage until I paid the fine as I could not prove i had paid the fine previously.  

Now, I saw that the new penalty for running a red light is now 4,000 THB, what a killing the police could make if they did their job. Stand next to the traffic lights and charge those pesky bikes that run the red lights, they would make millions. Do they not do this as it is probably in the high 90'% these red light runners are thai's?  The fact that these runners do it in front of an occupied police box amazes me still. It is a clear money grab that us foreigners stand no chance. 

Don't get me started with the land office and their tea money.....

• Like 1

23 hours ago, bignok said:

Drivers are underpaid and over worked. 

And whose problem is that? Go abuse the boss/owner not a fare paying customer. Would he have done the same to a high status Thai? 

12 hours ago, stevenl said:

If you had followed the story you would know the issue started or escalated with the Singaporean unwilling to pay the 100 baht.

I read the article that was linked. What else do you expect is to be done to "follow the story"? A link would be nice to whatever article you may be referring to that shows what you allege.

On 7/5/2023 at 11:44 AM, snoop1130 said:

spat.jpg

In a show of justice for tourists in Phuket, a 47 year old van driver who verbally abused a tourist last Sunday has been legally reprimanded. The driver was imposed with a fine of 1,000 baht by the local court for frightening others with the use of threat (intimidation).

In an online statement, Phuket Provincial Police revealed that the driver, Poramet, met his charge of causing terror by threats head-on and confessed in court. According to Section 78 of the Criminal Code, as relayed by the police, his straightforward confession helped him cut his sentence by half. However, it remains unclear whether the fine of 1,000 baht was imposed before or after this reduction in his punishment.

Interestingly, the police did not refer to Poramet by his name in their official statement, but simply as “Mr Boy,” claiming this was an intentional measure to avoid revealing his identity. The police statement reveals that Poramet had a verbal spat tussle with Faris Bin Abdulkadir, a 35 year old Singaporean tourist, on the bustling Ratsada Road in Phuket Town last Sunday. This altercation took place in front of a local coffee shop, reported The Phuket News.

Abdulkadir was travelling with 10 other passengers from the Pack-Up Hotel in Krabi to Phuket in Poramet’s van. Requesting a drop-off at the Grand Supicha City Hotel, where he had secured a reservation, Abdulkadir was met with Poramet’s refusal.

By Mitch Connor

Caption: Photo courtesy of The Phuket News

#news

Full Story: https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/phuket-van-driver-fined-b1000-after-verbal-spat-with-singaporean-tourist

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-07-05

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Pathetic but predictable, less than a 25 quid fine for trying to hit someone with an iron bar.

13 hours ago, bignok said:

The Singapore guy should have paid the extra 100 baht. Or just got out if vehicle and walked. 

Another bignok special. What planet are you on ????

Edited by MarkyM3
  • Thanks 1

And tomorrow he'll be let loose in the tourists again, hating everything and everyone even more, feeling wronged, supported by his brute tribe of drivers, and unlikely to mend his thug life ways. 

You won't have heard the last of him until someone is killed. ????

On 7/5/2023 at 5:54 PM, Mavideol said:

a 1,000 baht fine  555 it's joke!!!, ask the guy to pay at least 10 K that will make  him thing twice before doing it again

Doing what?  It was verbal abuse - to a tourist who was proving to be a nuisance by they way. Too many smart phones and social media in this generation.

You people slay me... the tourist asked for special allowance for delivery to a different destination than originally booked... refused to pay the 100 baht fee for the special allowance... I can't really blame the driver for losing it... but I do not agree that he should have had an iron pipe... but fine the tourist for being a pain in the ass and refusing to pay the fee as requested for the extra service and the extra stop.