Trump’s dominance of GOP field has America bracing for a toxic campaign

Social Media

2 hours ago, Purdey said:

People who like Trump will make up his audience and not criticize him. There are also sensible, educated Republicans who find him disgusting. I just can't see him winning over the latter.

Yeah, I see a lot of Democrats criticizing Biden here.

There are a lot of things I do not like about Trump, and there seems to be more and more things everyday, but I still like Trump more than I like the left. 

If Trump died today, by tonight, all the people attacking Trump would be attacking DeSantis. 

In my opinion, the left is ruining my once great country and I'll hold my nose and vote for anyone I think will slow that down. 

• Confused 4
  • Sad 3
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Purdey said:

I am not sure which period of US history you consider "great."

Many people look back on the Eisenhower period after the end of the war, a period of peace. A period of growing economic prosperity. Liberalism. 

(Be that as it may, even the Democratic Party today is considered conservative or right of center by the rest of the world)

What made America pretty good (how do you define great?) in the eyes of many and in the sense of helping society develop, included giving women the vote, social security, Medicare, Medicaid, unemployment benefits, the GI Bill, the voting rights act, the civil rights act, the Marshall Plan, the New Deal, Civil Rights (birthed by Republican Eisenhower but enshrined in law by LBJ), the Federal Home Loan Program  and numerous other acts such as creating national parks, the endangered species act, the ACA, paid vacations, the 40 hour working week and the 8 hour working day. 

You have probably learned in civics or history lessons that these great ideas were passed by liberals and opposed by conservative Republicans. 

You may have to explain to me when was America great and why. 

After you

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, placeholder said:

You got challenged on your characterization that America was once great and instead of forthrightly offering evidence to support it you asked Purdy to go first. The thing is, Purdey offered no such characterization. So why is it incumbent on him to offer evidence to support a characterization he never made?

I have no interest in trying to convince anyone that thinks the US was never great to convince them that it once was. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, placeholder said:

They didn't ask to be convinced. Just asked for evidence. Instead you offered an evasive reply.

Evidence they would just discount, because they are already convinced. Putting any effort into providing evidence to someone on a chat-board that that will not be convinced is a waste of time. Again, I have no interest in trying to convince anyone that thinks the US was never great to convince them that it once was. 

Even President Biden thinks (or at least pretends to think) it was a great country, he just thinks (or at least pretends to think) that it's still great. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

It matters to me, and I don't like it, but what he's doing does not bother me as much as what the left does. 

No one seemed to care about people putting targets on Trump, holding up severed heads and whatnot, that was all great. No one gave a whit about people threatening Trump. 

In my opinion, the left is ruining my once great country, stopping that is more important to me.

Who put targets on Trump? Obama? Biden? Clinton? How?

9 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

It matters to me, and I don't like it, but what he's doing does not bother me as much as what the left does. 

No one seemed to care about people putting targets on Trump, holding up severed heads and whatnot, that was all great. No one gave a whit about people threatening Trump. 

In my opinion, the left is ruining my once great country, stopping that is more important to me.

Ask Kathy Griffin if nobody cared.

5 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

It's no wonder you believe the things you do considering how ill-informed you seem to be:

CNN fires Kathy Griffin over offensive Donald Trump photo

A day after Griffin released a picture holding a mock "decapitated" head of President Trump shot by self-proclaimed "provocateur" photographer Tyler Shields, CNN announced Wednesday that they have terminated their decade-long contract with the comedian to appear with Anderson Cooper on New Year's Eve.

"CNN has terminated our agreement with Kathy Griffin to appear on our New Year's Eve program," spokesman Shimrit Sheetrit confirmed to USA TODAY in a statement Wednesday.

The network used even stronger language a day earlier: "We found what she did disgusting and offensive," read a statement sent to USA TODAY Tuesday night by Sheetrit.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2017/05/31/cnn-fires-kathy-griffin-over-offensive-trump-photo/102349176/

Kathy Griffin: Life After The Trump Severed Head Controversy

When she posed in 2017 with a mock-severed head of President Trump, comedian Kathy Griffin's career crumbled. She's out with a film: Kathy Griffin: A Hell of a Story, about life after the controversy.

https://www.npr.org/2019/04/23/716258113/kathy-griffin-life-after-the-trump-severed-head-controversy

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, placeholder said:

It's no wonder you believe the things you do considering how ill-informed you seem to be:

A day after Griffin released a picture holding a mock "decapitated" head of President Trump shot by self-proclaimed "provocateur" photographer Tyler Shields, CNN announced Wednesday that they have terminated their decade-long contract with the comedian to appear with Anderson Cooper on New Year's Eve.

"CNN has terminated our agreement with Kathy Griffin to appear on our New Year's Eve program," spokesman Shimrit Sheetrit confirmed to USA TODAY in a statement Wednesday.

The network used even stronger language a day earlier: "We found what she did disgusting and offensive," read a statement sent to USA TODAY Tuesday night by Sheetrit.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2017/05/31/cnn-fires-kathy-griffin-over-offensive-trump-photo/102349176/

When she posed in 2017 with a mock-severed head of President Trump, comedian Kathy Griffin's career crumbled. She's out with a film: Kathy Griffin: A Hell of a Story, about life after the controversy.

https://www.npr.org/2019/04/23/716258113/kathy-griffin-life-after-the-trump-severed-head-controversy

Yeah and sadly I totally lost respect for Anderson Cooper after that. Fair weather friend. Fink!

38 minutes ago, placeholder said:

I remember CNN distancing themselves, and her getting "fired" from her once-a-year gig, I don't remember any outrage. Were you outraged? 

As far as her being blacklisted, if you look at IMDb, it does not look like she was really doing much before that either. Just another old comedian that was never funny. 

Thanks for the link, her eye-rolling apology was hilarious. 

Edited by Yellowtail
clarity
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yeah and sadly I totally lost respect for Anderson Cooper after that. Fair weather friend. Fink!

Right. He should have held up both Trump and Melania's severed heads in solidarity! 

17 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I remember her getting fired, I dont 

I remember CNN distancing themselves, and her getting "fired" from her once-a-year gig, I don't remember any outrage. Were you outraged? 

As far as her being blacklisted, if you look at IMDb, it does not look like she was really doing much before that either. Just another old comedian that was never funny. 

Thanks for the link, her eye-rolling apology was hilarious. 

She actually was.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

You know full well it was just an ill advised photo project not any kind if real threat.

I know that everything the left does is some sort of ill-advised mistake, and everything the right does is a direct threat to democracy, 

• Love It 1

This is why the Republicans are clinging to so desperately to the Hunter nothing burger. They don't care that there's no there there, they've got nothing else and it looks like they are stuck with Trump as their candidate and he will have to face Biden. They can't really talk Trump up, they need to attack Biden.

• Like 1

Great is impossible to quantify, and the US has always had problems. But I think the 80’s was the best decade in my lifetime. The 50’s sounded like the best decade in my parent’s lifetime. Optimism was in the air and the future was so bright you had to wear shades ????

The current political culture is just disgusting, fueled by narrative spin from the media on both the left and right. I’ve stopped watching most all news out of the US for that reason. I have friends who are both liberal and conservative, and I can almost always find some common ground with both. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FarAngMoh said:

Great is impossible to quantify, and the US has always had problems. But I think the 80’s was the best decade in my lifetime. The 50’s sounded like the best decade in my parent’s lifetime. Optimism was in the air and the future was so bright you had to wear shades ????

The current political culture is just disgusting, fueled by narrative spin from the media on both the left and right. I’ve stopped watching most all news out of the US for that reason. I have friends who are both liberal and conservative, and I can almost always find some common ground with both. 

Same here except the 70's was the best decade of my lifetime. Or maybe the 80's, they were both good. So is this decade for that matter.

Most of my friends are conservative simply because most people my age are conservative. Yep, the enlightened flower power hippies of my youth turned into grinches. I tell people I'm just a bit to the left of Karl Marx.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1