Trump’s dominance of GOP field has America bracing for a toxic campaign

Social Media

11 minutes ago, Furioso said:

The western world is still great, so many fantastic things done right for almost 100 years. But over time, all corporations in all western countries have become more and more evil, and have way too much money and power. 

In today's western world, it seems that about 10% have it real good, while the other 90% fight for table scraps. Both the people and the politicians are slaves to the corporations. And now it's time for the people, not the politicians, to rise up and crush their masters, before it's too late. 

Mega corporations are what's wrong with this world. They are singularly responsible for the widening wealth gap between the rich and the poor. The disappearance of the corner store and hardware shops are symbolic of the rot. Greater concentration of retail and commerce in general in fewer and fewer companies is a major problem. America's (and other countries) anti-trust laws have failed it. Furthermore, most of the mega corps pay very little taxes. I knew we had passed a turning point when the world's richest man put a car into space playing a stereo in a vacuum just because he could.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Mega corporations are what's wrong with this world. They are singularly responsible for the widening wealth gap between the rich and the poor. The disappearance of the corner store and hardware shops are symbolic of the rot. Greater concentration of retail and commerce in general in fewer and fewer companies is a major problem. America's (and other countries) anti-trust laws have failed it. Furthermore, most of the mega corps pay very little taxes. I knew we had passed a turning point when the world's richest man put a car into space playing a stereo in a vacuum just because he could.

Any examples you'd like to provide? 

I think the greatest wealth inequality in the world is in New York City and Silicon Valley. 

2 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

I think the greatest wealth inequality in the world is in New York City and Silicon Valley. 

Most of them, Amazon, Walmart, Starbucks. In Australia, Woolworths, Coles, Bunnings. Wealth ineqularity isn't just American but it is very pronounced there.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, earlinclaifornia said:

I lived in Silicon Vally fifty years and that just simply in not at all true!!!

Had some good times there back in the day lived in la Honda for a time good times!

10 hours ago, Furioso said:

The western world is still great, so many fantastic things done right for almost 100 years. But over time, all corporations in all western countries have become more and more evil, and have way too much money and power. 

In today's western world, it seems that about 10% have it real good, while the other 90% fight for table scraps. Both the people and the politicians are slaves to the corporations. And now it's time for the people, not the politicians, to rise up and crush their masters, before it's too late. 

Exactly. I think Reagan and Thatcher set this in motion, this whole system of no limits hard-core capitalism, and now we pay the price. People who have a couple of million dollars in the bank can play golf all day, and still they make (way) more money than someone who’s working 40 hours a week in some kind of minimum wage sh!t job and struggling hard to make ends meet. When I was young, in the 1960’s and 70’s, (most) families could live on one income. Now lots of families struggle to survive on two incomes.
Corporations only care about a few things. First thing is to make as much profit as possible. Second thing is ridiculously high wages for their managers and executives, plus equally ridiculously high bonuses. Third thing is to keep the shareholders happy, so dividends have to be as high as possible. The average employee means nothing to them, and they pay them as little as possible. 

• Thanks 1

Biden will knock the socks off the GOP campaign just based on fairness.

Thursday, after the U.S. Supreme Court knocked down affirmative action in higher education admissions in a case against Harvard University, President Joe Biden took aim at the old boys network of giving a boost to the kids of alumni, saying “Today, I’m directing the Department of Education to analyze what practices help build a more inclusive and diverse student bodies and what practices hold that back, practices like legacy admissions and other systems that expand privilege instead of opportunity.”

Four days later, on Monday, advocates in Boston filed a complaint with the feds that Harvard’s system of legacy admission advantage for Junior violates the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

Our headline, “the stupid sons of rich men,” comes from Charles Eliot, the president of Harvard for 40 years, until 1909.

https://thebrunswicknews.com/news/national_news/editorial-the-stupid-sons-of-rich-men-colleges-must-end-the-unfair-practice-of-legacy/article_9447d917-cf2c-5e5d-b58b-3210d9442765.html

• Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, rudi49jr said:

Exactly. I think Reagan and Thatcher set this in motion, this whole system of no limits hard-core capitalism, and now we pay the price. People who have a couple of million dollars in the bank can play golf all day, and still they make (way) more money than someone who’s working 40 hours a week in some kind of minimum wage sh!t job and struggling hard to make ends meet. When I was young, in the 1960’s and 70’s, (most) families could live on one income. Now lots of families struggle to survive on two incomes.
Corporations only care about a few things. First thing is to make as much profit as possible. Second thing is ridiculously high wages for their managers and executives, plus equally ridiculously high bonuses. Third thing is to keep the shareholders happy, so dividends have to be as high as possible. The average employee means nothing to them, and they pay them as little as possible. 

Yes, Reagan and Thatcher's actions probably accelerated this capitalism on steroids quite a bit. Over the last 50 years, Wage Theft is one of the biggest crimes in the western world. 

I don't think the average citizen noticed what was being done to them until maybe 15 years ago. Some people took to the streets but it never caught on.

Just think about how many people have sold their soul for a buck/euro/pound. Pathetic. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Furioso said:

Yes, Reagan and Thatcher's actions probably accelerated this capitalism on steroids quite a bit. Over the last 50 years, Wage Theft is one of the biggest crimes in the western world. 

I don't think the average citizen noticed what was being done to them until maybe 15 years ago. Some people took to the streets but it never caught on.

Just think about how many people have sold their soul for a buck/euro/pound. Pathetic. 

Union busting is at the root of wage theft.

Scholars at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign find, for instance, that states with greater union membership rates are more likely to introduce and pass legislation against wage theft. The reason, the authors propose, is that labor unions provide advocates with political power that make the enactment of wage theft legislation more likely.

https://equitablegrowth.org/unions-and-the-enforcement-of-labor-rights-how-organized-labor-protects-u-s-workers-against-unfair-and-illegal-employment-practices/

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

5 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

I lived in Silicon Valley (Vally?) fifty-one years, and I say it is true!!!

You think but never provide links and obviously didn't even research it before putting fingers on the keyboard. Turns out you were wrong.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

You think but never provide links and obviously didn't even research it before putting fingers on the keyboard. Turns out you were wrong.

As opposed to you not thinking and posting a lot of links? Both the cities were in the (questionable) table, and I think every city is dark blue, yes? 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, earlinclaifornia said:

You can say he is very consistent and that is not what most of us ever want as a reputation.

He says I think, and you say that is not what most of us ever want as a reputation.

No argument from me. I think, you post links. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

As opposed to you not thinking and posting a lot of links? Both the cities were in the (questionable) table, and I think every city is dark blue, yes? 

The table is not particularly questionable (the gini coefficient is the most used method). Anyway, what's your point? That inequalities are usually higher in large cities, and that large cities tend to vote for Dems?