Japanese Tourist Questions Structural Integrity of Thai Bridges; Sparks Online Debate

webfact

image.jpeg

A Japanese tourist visiting Thailand has sparked a debate on social media after questioning the structural integrity of Thai bridges, reported Daily News.

On July 6, the tourist posted a photograph on Twitter of a slender bridge support, questioning if it was too thin for safety.

The post, which has attracted over 7,800 tweets, 1,000 comments and over 12.2 million views, has stirred a vigorous online discussion among locals and foreigners alike.

image.jpeg

Picture: Daily News

While some netizens believe that the thinness of the bridge support presents a risk, particularly with Thailand's frequent seismic activities, others argue that it complies with engineering standards.

Amid the controversy, many are calling on related agencies to clarify the situation before it potentially damages Thailand's image among tourists.

The incident highlights the need for clear communication about safety standards to maintain public confidence in the country's infrastructure.

#news

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2023-07-07

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

20 minutes ago, webfact said:

Amid the controversy, many are calling on related agencies to clarify the situation before it potentially damages Thailand's image among tourists.

oh really ? 

rama 2.....hold my beer.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

A Japanese tourist visiting Thailand has sparked a debate on social media after questioning the structural integrity of Thai bridges, reported Daily News.

On July 6, the tourist posted a photograph on Twitter of a slender bridge support, questioning if it was too thin for safety.

The post, which has attracted over 7,800 tweets, 1,000 comments and over 12.2 million views, has stirred a vigorous online discussion among locals and foreigners alike.

image.jpeg

Picture: Daily News

While some netizens believe that the thinness of the bridge support presents a risk, particularly with Thailand's frequent seismic activities, others argue that it complies with engineering standards.

The incident highlights the need for clear communication about safety standards to maintain public confidence in the country's infrastructure.

#news

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2023-07-07

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

What engineering standards !!!!!!!

• Thumbs Up 1

Fortunately most of Thailand is not particularly seismically active, and earthquakes are very rare (other than a few minor shakes).  Hardly surprising that it was commented by a Japanese tourist since Japan has perhaps the most earthquakes of any developed country. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Mitkof Island said:

The overpasses (eye sores) along most of the train lines some look like they would fall down with the smallest earthquake.

but bangkok is a swamp, I doubt it can shake hard here....

• Like 1

The article reminded me of the unfinished overpasses on the railway line between Cha-Am and Hua Hin. They have been left part built with the protruding rebar ready for the next concrete pour exposed to the elements for around three years.
I bet that's not in the civil engineers code of practice handbook.

• Like 1

I couldn't find the Twitter thread.

There are, I think, three separate bridges at Phra Nang Klao. Two for vehicles and one for the MRT Purple line.

It looks like the photo shows the support structure for the newer, taller, 6-lane bridge?

It looks like they had to wedge those piers wherever they could (note the 'house' in the photo below), given the surface road restrictions? In some cases they have two piers, in others just one. I assume that the design was/is sufficient. Hopefully the actual structure represents the design.

No clue how much accommodation is made for earthquakes given that most seismic activity in Thailand is far from Bangkok?

Meanwhile the Japanese chap has probably witnessed several massive quakes in Japan.

bridge_house.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

trouble is lke most contractors in Thailand they will do it the cheapest way possible, you only have to look at how roads collapse within 6 months due entirely to cheap material/not following any specs. How often do we see building etc collapse during construction, the bridge that collapsed because they used second hand/used material on it, for thais profit is number one, you have to cut as many corners as possible to make more money, screw the safety factors and peoples lives

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, seajae said:

trouble is lke most contractors in Thailand they will do it the cheapest way possible, you only have to look at how roads collapse within 6 months due entirely to cheap material/not following any specs. How often do we see building etc collapse during construction, the bridge that collapsed because they used second hand/used material on it, for thais profit is number one, you have to cut as many corners as possible to make more money, screw the safety factors and peoples lives

Been here over 25 yrs travelled all over thailand by car seen the raods and how they are constructed and i agree the contractors are really bad not once have i seen a compaction test taken no nuclear density test, cleg hammer or sand replacement compaction test taken

, brand new road less than 6 weeks,  cracking and sinking  its a national disgrace, whats more its highly dangerous. God knows about the concrete never seen any cyinders taken for testing  have been at a concrete pour the do not do a slump test prior to the pour nor do they vibrate the concrete only use shovels its like being in the 1940's very poor workmanship no quality control or safety.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai standards maybe.... coming from Japan the man knows what happens when the ground shakes.

• Like 1

When I'm driving under the elevated roadways I see lots of cracks in the support columns.  Specially the Y shaped ones.  I know a lot of them are probably cosmetic.  But it still makes me worry.

When was the last time a bridge collapsed here? Seems to be a hypothetical question based on a hysterical person.....Exactly the same with many commenters.... meaningless babble!:coffee1:

Edited by ujayujay

10 hours ago, flyingtlger said:

A lot of things are "re-active" as opposed to "pro-active" in Thailand.

Unfortunately, unless something catastrophic happens, things stay the same.....

How many bridges or expressways or elevated train lines have you seen collapse here? They must happen all the time right?

Typical AN thread full of nasty negativity when the OP has nothing of substance at all. I wonder what people get out of sitting at their computers posting negative nonsense on every single thread.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, webfact said:

he need for clear communication about safety standards to maintain public confidence in the country's infrastructure.

Oh really:

On the night of July 31, 2022, for instance, a five-tonne, 10-metre-long concrete beam fell off the U-turn bridge and plunged onto a car, also damaging a pickup truck, killing two people and injuring five others. The bridge is outside Vibharam Hospital in Samut Sakhon's Muang district. (Google)

I wouldn’t care if it complied with the engineering standards… after watching a 57 floor building going up on the beach in Pattaya, prefabricated block by block being taken up.

yes that post is way way way to thin and what about the others, are they equally as thin.  Were they saving a few dollars by building much thinner posts. 

3 hours ago, JackieMager said:

yes that post is way way way to thin and what about the others, are they equally as thin.  Were they saving a few dollars by building much thinner posts. 

Yes, the bridge is made out of matchsticks but luckily we have you to call it out.

Please tell me the context of this bridge support and why it is too thin - you seem to know about it, so when will it fall down in your estimation? It is a cropped picture and you don't see the column before or after or anything else. And you really think they just put the thinnest columns up and be damned?  Thailand has one of the most extensive network of viaducts and they are sturdily built (even if the safety standards during construction can be a bit poor).

So please enlighten us why this is too thin for the load. Thank you.

Edited by josephbloggs