If a fan doesn't have a capacitor it will shudder back and forth but can start with a manual hand spin

steven100

you learn something new everyday .....

The 8 watt fan I have near my desk sparked and stopped.  I pulled it to pieces and found broken wire in the center plastic shaft cause by the electric cable turning inside and eventually snapped a wire.  I rejoined the wire and glued ( my thai friend borrowed my soldering iron, it's gone. )   it back and covered/protected it in clear tube and epoxy inside. 

Anyway,  there is a spring mechanism at the back of the plastic shaft which assists to start the fan, as there is no capacitor I guess this is required to get the fan to turn at the start.  I'm trying to figure a way to start the fan without using the mechanism provided as it doesn't seem to work so good because the cable turns inside sometimes and eventually twists causing a break.     I will try a spring at the front ... hidden behind the covers of course,  I just need to get the right elastic or spring fixed in place so it turns under stress then spring back and away she goes. 

I'm no electrical guy obviously ....    Lol

Edited by steven100

4 hours ago, flyingtlger said:

"If a fan doesn't have a capacitor it will shudder back and forth but can start with a manual hand spin"

Sounds like a human....

My ole man said everything you have to start by hand lasts longer....

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Crossy said:

when it failed the clock would randomly start running backwards.

your spot on there Crossy,  that's what was happening sometimes and the cable twisted and snapped.

I have another 16" fan here in bits but I see it has a capacitor .... Can I add this capacitor into the 8 watt fan or will that not work because it came from 16" fan/motor    ?

9 hours ago, steven100 said:

your spot on there Crossy,  that's what was happening sometimes and the cable twisted and snapped.

I have another 16" fan here in bits but I see it has a capacitor .... Can I add this capacitor into the 8 watt fan or will that not work because it came from 16" fan/motor    ?

No, you cannot simply add a capacitor, it needs a second winding too ????

• Like 1

On 7/7/2023 at 9:22 PM, steven100 said:

Anyway,  there is a spring mechanism at the back of the plastic shaft which assists to start the fan, as there is no capacitor

It's commonly known as a "synchronous motor" used mostly in washing machine timers, clocks sometimes, oven timers (older ones at least) other uses as well.

One below is from a microwave oven turntable........note that this one has a gearbox attached.

SyncMotor.jpg

Edited by bluejets

54 minutes ago, Crossy said:

aha .....  so it's the spring method or nothing at all.  To be honest, i really don't understand how the spring method works ....  it obviously gets power then wants to spin a guess the spring lets it shudder / turn so far then flicks it back which give it sufficient momentum to go.  It's not a very reliable system ... don't ever buy anything using this method.   haha

21 hours ago, Crossy said:

Yeah, a single-phase induction motor will sit and hum (it's actually going forwards and backwards 50 times a second) unless it gets a bump in one direction whereupon it will continue to run in that direction.

If I have a fan that does that, a "bump" in the right direction is certainly in order,Perhaps also. kick  ???? Followed by a trip to my local fan emporium to get another fan (Phew , I thought I would never use the word emporium .  and I paid good money for it)????

Edited by sirineou
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, sirineou said:

If I have a fan that does that, a "bump" in the right direction is certainly in order,Perhaps also. kick  ???? Followed by a trip to my local fan emporium to get another fan (Phew , I thought I would never use the word emporium .  and I paid good money for it)????

If it's a fan with a capacitor then a replacement cap is a cheap and easy fix ???? 

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Crossy said:

Fixed Crossy,  for now anyway .....  I took the back plastic cap off and see the spring wire inside had come out of the cut slot on the shaft, hence no shaft spring affect.  I put a hook on the spring and put back in the slot,  glued the wires back together and hey presto  !!     haha  ....   until it breaks or sparks again ... 

bad design this spring/single ph motors...  

IMG20230709151604.thumb.jpg.12b3846a34ba997dbe49d606ddb6b002.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1