My new Thai gf (35/f) invited me (42/m) to visit her family in Isaan after < 1 month of dating? I feel uncomfortable but agreed. What do you think?

23 hours ago, bignok said:

Load of nonsense. Hotels all over Isaan. 450 baht gets decent room. Stay in hotel. 

Visit family 2 hours. Buy Lao Khao and 200 baht worth of chicken and rice. 

Say I've got a headache. Go back to hotel. Next day say you have a bad back and can only visit short time. Bring pork and rice 200 baht.

Drive back to hotel.

Family visit done.

Exactly!????????

13 minutes ago, Almer said:

I live in Issan never had rat, but I have only been here 8 years, but I do have many friends and speak with most people I see. get help when I need it etc, I can sit and look at the scenery and not have the constant drum of traffic? 

I wonder how may of the people who knock Issan have ever lived or stayed there, I don't mean a dirty weekend in Udon, you go to Bkk and everybody is racing around no time to stop and stare I had all of that for 50 working years, no more thank you just me the much younger wife and the Buffalo who keeps very good health. Just off fishing now with a packed lunch a couple of beers and the dogs, no noise no rats. No hassle and no need to get the tractor out as the fishing lake is in the back garden, have a nice day city dwellers. 

I live in the Phimai district and very content. Small town with almost 100% Thai food outlets with only 1 bar. We have a 6 months swimming  subscription at the local Hotel and swim weekdays ( kids at the W/E ).

Due to the lack of choice for food and entertainment we travel down to Pattaya every month or so. to sample the delights.

On 7/8/2023 at 9:46 PM, norfolkandchance said:

Rats on the menu then.

Actually.. rats are qute tasty. There's a young woman farming them up our way. Clean, contained and fed a vegetarian diet. Big as and very lean meat. Got bit of a chicken/pork hybrid flavour. Great on the charcoal bbq

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Visited one or two villages over the years, it can be a good experience, I would always hire a care and drive, apart from the first time, that way you're not a prisoner and as previously said find a hotel nearby. If it's your first time you'll be expected to fund the two day party which is in honour of your presence, then all the young Thai guys turn up and drink all your beer, one of which could well be her husband, eat all the food and leave without so much as goodbye or thank you, that's their way. Then the trip to Big C and Makro in her uncle's truck has already been mentioned, make sure your wallet's full. You'll soon know if it's the life you want, certainly not for me but a couple of days with your own transport can be quite worthwhile.

Edited by Victor Laszlo
  • Like 1

as long as your prepared to pay for everything for everyone< go an have a good time>

******Tell her in advance that you would feel more comfortable staying in a hotel nearby than at the family house thou*****

Don't bring your ATM card, checkbook, credit cards, and pack only enough cash for the weekend.  No jewelry, if you insist on wearing a watch get a 150b tosser.

This may not be the first time the family helped in the effort is presented to a farang boyfriend.

• Like 1

I  visited my G'f's parents home in Buriram  a long time ago, I  admired the house which was in very good decorative  order, but i said  why does their 50 yards drive way look  unfinished, its  a mess,  nothing was said until about a month later , then  she asked me for 15,000b to pay for the  unfinished drive way that looked a mess!!!,.. my idea, I was expected to pay, I  did'nt pay, and  it never got finished..  maybe the next  B/f......

1 minute ago, shackleton said:

Hey you are 42 years old you need to grow a pair and sort yourself out 

Man up and decide for you self 

I personally think a month is to short give it 6 months  and then  make your decision ????

Nah. Some problems take years to become evident. Just renting avoids a host of problems.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Victor Laszlo said:

Visited one or two villages over the years, it can be a good experience, I would always hire a care and drive, apart from the first time, that way you're not a prisoner and as previously said find a hotel nearby. If it's your first time you'll be expected to fund the two day party which is in honour of your presence, then all the young Thai guys turn up and drink all your beer, one of which could well be her husband, eat all the food and leave without so much as goodbye or thank you, that's their way. Then the trip to Big C and Makro in her uncle's truck has already been mentioned, make sure your wallet's full. You'll soon know if it's the life you want, certainly not for me but a couple of days with your own transport can be quite worthwhile.

I'm fascinated by all these tales of being expected to pay large for the entire extended family on a first visit. IMO nothing would be more assured to put an end to any long term relationship than such shenanigans.

No such events happened when I first visited the village, nor even when I went to live there.

I did eventually force a departure from there, but it was nothing to do with being expected to pay for the "privilege" of living in the dump.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I am since forever together with my gf. Most of the time we are happy and likely we will stay together until we die. In the time since we are together, I saw lots of couples marry and then divorce. It seems the marriage didn't help. 

Yeah get ya, these topic always remind of a film when an actor said "you can't live with same woman for more than 20 years it just ain't natural".

Train wreck in slow motion me thinks.

As soon as you starting supporting, it's game over. Either you do it for the duration, or this go south rather fast.

Those who are ok with it, knock yourselves out, it's your money, spend it how you wish, but it aint for me.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2023 at 9:22 PM, BangkokReady said:

He might not have put it very tactfully, but there are many, many reasons not to take on another man's kids.  Especially if you're still reasonably young yourself.

100% agree.

There are those that a fully ok with it & there are those that aren't.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Took me 5 years to find out that the women I first lived with wasn't worth my time. She was a good woman, but not right for me.

You try to make it like we can have auditions for a partner, but life isn't like that.

Life can be like that. If we don't choose, who does? Life is what we make it. Over here, we are not the desperados we were in our home nation. We don't have to be. Too many options. 

I went to the village in Isaan with my then girlfriend 20 years ago. (I was 43 years old at the time and she was 23.) Before we went, I told her that I had no intention of marrying her - and I asked her if that would be a problem for her or her family. She assured me that it wouldn't be a problem.

We spent a nice weekend in the village. But for the next few years (until she married another farang), she was ridiculed in the village for having brought a farang back who didn't marry her.

So regardless of what this woman says, going back to the village with her represents a commitment in the eyes of her family and her fellow villagers. If you are not ready to make a commitment, I don't think you should go. In fact, she might use this against you later to pressure you into marrying her - saying that not doing so would spoil her reputation in the eyes of her family and friends. That's not a good basis for a marriage.

• Thanks 2

1)

...I Read Somewhere Once:....

...'The Guy Just Met Her & Already He's Thinking/Envisioning Marriage'...

(...Makes You Wonder Which Is The 'Romantic' Gender...)

2)

...Thai Women Have Had Experience With Foreign Men For Decades...Maybe Longer...(?)

3)

...Wake Up Buddy...

...We Tend To 'Fill In The Blanks'...In A Favorable Light...

...'Politically Correct'...Chivalrous...& All That...

4)

...I Thought ' Yeah, I'm Gonna Make A Positive Difference In Her/Their Life/Lives...

5) 

...So Many 'Good-Intentioned' 'Hopeless Romantics'...

***End Up With Their 'Bones Picked Clean'...& 'Left For Dead'...

...And Not A Legal Leg To Stand On...

6)

...'Paying Her/Their Way/Ways Already'...

(She Definitely Won't 'Let You Get Away')

7)

...Until She...Or The Father(s) Of The Children...Or...'Someone On The Side'....Decides 'The Time Is Right'...

...Remember...They Have Tried & True Formulas...

...We Have 'Our Little Heads; To Think & Reason With....

Good Luck!!!

• Haha 1

On 7/8/2023 at 4:19 PM, AventurasEnMadrid said:

My new gf, divorced and working for an insurance company in Bangkok and a mother of 2 young children that live with her parents (children’s grandparents) in a city in Isaan wants me to visit her family for the weekend .  She actually invited me the first time after only 1 week of dating but I turned her down then. This time I feel a bit uncomfortable but have agreed. Fwiw, I have been supporting her financially somewhat as well and her son is sick with long COVID, but have explained that there are limits. There are several other red flags I am feeling in the relationship but do feel I love her. Feedback welcome. Thank you everyone

Why are you giving her money if she works for an insurance company?

More to the point, in Thailand, a lady takes money from a sucker, and gives it to her Thai boyfriend.

And, no, taking a well financed sucker to the village is a major red flag. She wants to gain some face by showing she has captured a walking ATM.

• Like 2