Top BBC presenter ‘stripped to underwear in video call with teen he paid for explicit pictures’

On 7/11/2023 at 9:28 PM, Chomper Higgot said:

I think the BBC, as an employer,  should have made a police report as soon as allegations were made.

I believe that The Sun, as a newspaper, should have made a police report as soon as they came into possession of evidence and if they have evidence that should have been presented to the police.

I think they should both have laughed and said 'come back when you have evidence of an actual crime'. Those who want to escalate these things and concoct outrage are a bigger problem.  

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

I disagree that it's off topic but feel free to report it again.

I haven't reported it. Nor will I. No point.

21 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

The discussion is about allegations of sexual impropriety by public figures. You are convinced that there is a conspiracy to protect the one who has been publicly named - the correlation with the allegations against Osborne are possibly inconvenient for the hard right, but they are totally on topic.

My posts about a certain man in a shell suit who could "fix it" for children were deemed off topic so if I assume some level of consistency then yours must be as well.

20 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Who is the victim? 

Claims against BBC presenter are ‘rubbish’, says letter from young person’s lawyer, BBC reports

https://www.theguardian.com/media/live/2023/jul/10/bbc-investigation-suspended-presenter-police-latest-updates?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

The victim hasn't been named but the BBC has verified the existence of the messages.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-66165766

image.png.30efaa05ff2599e416bd1c0d529adee3.png

1 minute ago, JonnyF said:

I haven't reported it. Nor will I. No point.

My posts about a certain man in a shell suit who could "fix it" for children were deemed off topic so if I assume some level of consistency then yours must be as well.

My point is a lot more recent than yours - in fact both stories emerged last week, but the more serious allegation seems to have been entirely ignored by the media. 

1 minute ago, JonnyF said:

The victim hasn't been named but the BBC has verified the existence of the messages.

image.png.30efaa05ff2599e416bd1c0d529adee3.png

Your assertion of this person as a victim seems at odds with their own assessment of their situation. 

I assume that you are unaware of their identity. Would it also be fair to assume that they were in a better position to determine their victimhood than you?

6 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Why should it concern you at all? If he isn't breaking the law, is he not allowed a private life?

Maybe you should read the mission statement and core values of the BBC again.

"We're kind" (except when someone is going to expose our deviant behaviour and then we threaten them).

"We're accountable" (except when our leacherous behaviour is called out).

"We respect each other" (except when abusing our power with subordinates).

image.png.423789d4ea881e359b865e27a3851d8b.png

And yes, threatening people via SMS, messaging apps etc. is illegal.

https://www.claims.co.uk/knowledge-base/offences/sending-threatening-emails#:~:text=Sending Threatening Emails-,What's the law%3F,as well as other legislation.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

My point is a lot more recent than yours - in fact both stories emerged last week, but the more serious allegation seems to have been entirely ignored by the media. 

My point is a lot more relevant i.e. the BBC covering up allegations of abuse from within the organization.

• Like 1

Your assertion of this person as a victim seems at odds with their own assessment of their situation. 

How so?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12292635/Now-Huw-Edwards-faces-fresh-allegations-inappropriate-behaviour-BBC-colleagues.html

image.png.ce35be71d5dcfaf668eb8715273429a3.png

I assume that you are unaware of their identity. Would it also be fair to assume that they were in a better position to determine their victimhood than you?

They are aware that thay are victims.

image.png.ca2c38ad2ff9d21f195118ebd0d2d2ea.png

8 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

This is a different case to the Scum's story, I think? 

In this particular case, it seems that the young person threatened Edwards with public exposure, to which he responded with anger. How is the young person a victim here?

2 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

BBC weren't bothered about Cliff Richard right to privacy were they

And it was the BBC that decided to name Cliff Richard not South Yorkshire police force

I agree - but two wrongs don't make a right.

• Haha 1

Just now, RuamRudy said:

Who cares who reported it? It is the actions of Edwards that are being discussed, not The Sun newspaper (and once again referring to them as The Scum is against forum rules but well, you know...).

Just now, RuamRudy said:

In this particular case, it seems that the young person threatened Edwards with public exposure, to which he responded with anger. How is the young person a victim here?

Edwards was harrassing the young person for a date, the person refused and tried to make him stop by saying he'd expose his poor behaviour so Edwards threatened them.

• Like 1

Sun has 'no plans' to publish further allegations

The Sun has no plans to publish further allegations. We must also re-emphasise that The Sun at no point in our original story alleged criminality and also took the decision neither to name Mr Edwards nor the young person involved in the allegations.

https://news.sky.com/story/huw-edwards-bbc-presenter-latest-police-teenager-explicit-pictures-12917955

The sun has the same get out of jail clause that the BBC and other media outlets use on a regular basis  the article is published in the public interested

50 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I'd be more concerned that someone professing to be a devout Christian married 'heterosexual' BBC presenter was using gay dating sites.

hypocrisy is commonplace within The BBC, especially amongst high profile presenters like Edwards.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Sun has 'no plans' to publish further allegations

The Sun has no plans to publish further allegations. We must also re-emphasise that The Sun at no point in our original story alleged criminality and also took the decision neither to name Mr Edwards nor the young person involved in the allegations.

https://news.sky.com/story/huw-edwards-bbc-presenter-latest-police-teenager-explicit-pictures-12917955

The sun has the same get out of jail clause that the BBC and other media outlets use on a regular basis  the article is published in the public interested

I'd say it's absolutely in the public interest when someone paid a huge salary with public money is found to be breaking the guidelines of the tax payer funded public service broadcaster that employs him (and professes to hold themselves to such lofty standards).

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Why are they always chasing young boys though?

It does seem to be a deep rooted problem, prevalent over many decades. They just don't seem to be able to "fix it".

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

It seems to be a problem unique to the BBC.

ITV are also doing pretty well lately. 

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, Seppius said:

Hypocritically, The Sun regularly had topless 16yo's on its famous Page 3 a few years ago

No, they had to be were supposed to be over 18.

Linda Lusardi, Sam Fox, Melinda Messenger etc. Lovely girls.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

The 'young person' played his cards perfectly and got loads of money for simply sending photos. Agreed, he allegedly, from his Mum, spent it on Crack.

I am amazed that someone like Huw could hide this from his Mrs, withdraw money from his accounts to send to the man, and his wife suspected nothing, except that he was severely depressed, probably cos he couldn't get his end away.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

The 'young person' played his cards perfectly and got loads of money for simply sending photos. Agreed, he allegedly, from his Mum, spent it on Crack.

I am amazed that someone like Huw could hide this from his Mrs, withdraw money from his accounts to send to the man, and his wife suspected nothing, except that he was severely depressed, probably cos he couldn't get his end away.

Why would you expect it difficult to hide from his wife? 

6 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

His wife is also ex-BBC so possibly familiar with the culture of ignoring poor behaviour and sweeping things under the carpet in the hope that this day would never arrive.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

It appears not!  The Sun is likely to be in BIG trouble!  Hopefully it will go the same way as the News of the World.????

Unlikely 

"Suggestions about possible criminality were first made at a later date by other media outlets, including the BBC.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Huw Edwards' final TV appearance cancelled in last minute change

BBC News at Ten presenter Huw Edwards was due to appear on The One Show last week but was dropped from the programme in a last minute change

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/huw-edwards-final-tv-appearance-30454037

To be clear Huw was first told that there were allegations being made against him last Thursday.

33 minutes ago, Felton Jarvis said:

How can public figures be this stupid?   BBC presenters make far too much money to risk it over sex charges.  Pure stupidity.

I suspect that the prevalence of risky behaviour amongst successful and high profile men is high. I don't know if it's related to the pressure they feel under or a sense of arrogance and entitlement, but Max Clifford, himself a risk taker, had an extensive list of secrets of the stars.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1