Biden says war with Russia must end before NATO can consider membership for Ukraine

Social Media

President Joe Biden delivers remarks to Department - PICRYL - Public Domain  Media Search Engine Public Domain Search

President Joe Biden told CNN in an exclusive interview that Ukraine is not yet ready for NATO membership, saying that Russia’s war in Ukraine needs to end before the alliance can consider adding Kyiv to its ranks.

Biden told CNN’s Fareed Zakaria that while discussion of Ukraine’s imminent membership in NATO was premature, the US and its allies in NATO would continue to provide President Volodymyr Zelensky and his forces the security and weaponry they need to try to end the war with Russia.

Biden spoke to Zakaria ahead of his weeklong trip to Europe, which includes a NATO summit in Lithuania where Russia’s war in Ukraine and Zelensky’s push for NATO membership will be among the key issues looming over the gathering.

“I don’t think there is unanimity in NATO about whether or not to bring Ukraine into the NATO family now, at this moment, in the middle of a war,” Biden said. “For example, if you did that, then, you know – and I mean what I say – we’re determined to commit every inch of territory that is NATO territory. It’s a commitment that we’ve all made no matter what. If the war is going on, then we’re all in war. We’re at war with Russia, if that were the case.”

Biden said that he’s spoken to Zelensky at length about the issue, saying that he’s told the Ukrainian president the US would keep providing security and weaponry for Ukraine like it does for Israel while the process plays out.

FULL STORY

image.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

When did Russia invade Ukraine?

"Obama: On all these issues, but particularly missile defense, this, this can be solved but it's important for him to give me space. Medvedev: Yeah, I understand. I understand your message about space. Space for you... Obama: This is my last election…After my election I have more flexibility. Medvedev: I understand. I will transmit this information to Vladimir. " 

Be nice to have that missile defense now...

Hot mic moment: Obama overheard telling Medvedev he needs 'space' on missile defense (nbcnews.com)

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

1 minute ago, mania said:

He pretends he is not at war with Russia now? Proxy war but war nonetheless

It seems he is negotiating Putin's proxy war rather well all considered.  I imagine he endeavours to try and down play the rhetoric he applies to the situation for the sake of not inflaming it any further.  It's a tough line he is walking.

• Thumbs Up 2

14 hours ago, vandeventer said:

This is stupid, we all know that if NATO admits the Ukraine into NATO now it will be World War 3.

Uhh……..yea just maybe that’s why President Biden said not rite now and Mr Colman Putin has already been humiliated by a country 1/4 his size he has allready had his armed forces humiliated by a smaller nation his weapons are sub par just how much weaker can he be?as far as that’s concerned in my humble opinion it’s high time the Russians get rid of that disaster 

• Like 1

This reminds me of banks lending money to everyone except the people who really need the loan.

Or insurance companies refusing coverage to those with pre-existing conditions.

"Sure you can join Nato, but not until you have no need for them". Gee Thanks Joe.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

This reminds me of banks lending money to everyone except the people who really need the loan.

Or insurance companies refusing coverage to those with pre-existing conditions.

"Sure you can join Nato, but not until you have no need for them". Gee Thanks Joe.

So you want Ukraine to be admitted to NATO right now?  Yeah right, this would put NATO and the USA immediately at war with Russia.  Swift thinking....

6 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

So you want Ukraine to be admitted to NATO right now?  Yeah right, this would put NATO and the USA immediately at war with Russia.  Swift thinking....

Please show me the post where I said I wanted Ukraine to be admitted to NATO "right now".

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Please show me the post where I said I wanted Ukraine to be admitted to NATO "right now".

Thanks in advance.

Perhaps you can explain why you're bashing Joe Biden then....thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1