I am a slave to my technology

nglodnig

For a number of reasons, I have:

Three laptops

Three mobile phones

One Ipad and one Adroid tablet 

That I must service regularly and most annoying is Norton Anti Virus which all of these is getting to be a full time job. No, I CAN'T simplify - I need all these devices (job and stuff don't ask).

• Haha 2

haven't found a better anti-virus - those free ones are worth what you pay for them - nothing.

Used Kasperksy for a while because it was free with Barclays bank accounts until it was realised it was Putin spyware

Edited by nglodnig
  • Haha 2

Ok, I have two laptops and one NUC, each are i7 and have 32GB and 64GB memory. One laptop is Windows and the other is Mac.
Have one Android and one iPad. 
Have two phones both Android. One for World wide use with Google Fi service and the other has a Thai sim card. Thai sim card works worldwide if I pay 3000 baht/year. Thinking about ditching the Google Fi but all my US banks have US number for OTP verification. 
Never used any anti-virus. The Windows laptop has company installed antivirus and they take care of all updates. Phones are automatically updated and no anti-virus are installed. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nglodnig said:

haven't found a better anti-virus - those free ones are worth what you pay for them - nothing.

Used Kasperksy for a while because it was free with Barclays bank accounts until it was realised it was Putin spyware

No linux? There's your problem. Linux doesn't need antivirus nonsense as all the viruses target windows, android and apple. 

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Talking about being a slave to technology, soon humans will need to grow a third hand just to keep up and hold all those hand held devices such as phones and other gizmos.

Smart humans use them when they need them and not all the time.

But in a way I agree, I wait for the first face phone holders so that the people who can't walk 100m without their phone in front of their face have something new. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, nglodnig said:

No, I CAN'T simplify - I need all these devices (job and stuff don't ask).

Flip side of that, still have 2 vid drones, 5 DIY UAVs, I can put cameras on, but no batteries to power 3 larger ones, along with 10+ UAVs, that are looking good in the cabinet, as rarely fly any of them of late.  But need to charge up the way too many batteries every few months, so they don't die.

Along with other RCs, that also look good in the cabinet.

3 action cams, that I take out once a while just to charge up, 3 camera bodies, because I hate changing lens, only use 2, actually 1, as phone fills in for the other most times, unless something special to take a snap of, and more lenses than I can count on 1 hand, that I don't use.

Note to self:   stop collecting things.  In the USA, it was firearms, usually only shooting a handful of them.

Good thing I'm not rich, I'd probably need a garage to store different types of EVs in.   Plenty of carport space being poor.

Things that I actually use, aside from 1 camera (birding), kitchen appliances, as they get a work out, except for the bread & ice cream machine ????

Why the house is 1 big eat in kitchen, with a bedroom to the side ????

Edited by KhunLA

Unless the technology is there to serve you, it's unnecessary and you need to get rid of it,But as you said ,you need all these things, So by definition you are not the slave the technology is. 

So stop whining and take care of your slaves, because if you don't one day they all might go Terminator on you. 

• Love It 1

1 hour ago, gargamon said:

No linux? There's your problem. Linux doesn't need antivirus nonsense as all the viruses target windows, android and apple. 

He said he needs these devices for his job so it's entirely possible that Linux isn't an option.

As others have said, though, Microsoft Defender (or Windows Security Centre, or whatever it's called these days) should offer sufficient protection. 

'No, I CAN'T simplify....' ????????  

Look, I get where you're coming from with this post and the apparent sense of frustration behind it, and I'm on your side with that...????.....but you probably CAN simplify, right? If you really wanted to. To the extent any of us are 'dependent' on our gadgets, we mostly choose to be....me included.  

4 hours ago, nglodnig said:

For a number of reasons, I have:

Three laptops

Three mobile phones

One Ipad and one Adroid tablet 

That I must service regularly and most annoying is Norton Anti Virus which all of these is getting to be a full time job. No, I CAN'T simplify - I need all these devices (job and stuff don't ask).

Us

4 hours ago, nglodnig said:

Use Microsoft Defender. It's just as good as the commercial ones and causes less problems.