Apply For Tourist Visa In Vietnam - HCMC - Doubts

Hi mates, 

i am considering aplying for a tourist VISA - 60 days if not mistaken - at HCMC  thai embassy . Before i  get an appointment wich suits me well couse i shall be for around one month in vietnam i am wary of usual 

trouble one can get in such places - specially western white dudes traveling solo ????   as u know after so many years of mass tourism it seems regrettably  SEA  has some sort of xenofobic traits on some individuals , anyways i read some feedback on the embassy at google and people specially westeners talk about lack of good manners towards them .... 

... couse i tried some months ago to do so in India and failed due to their funny requisites - actually it was not through proper embassy but some sort of contracted agency doing paper work for many embassies - . Apart from usual round flight ticket wich sounds legit they also asked for proof of accomodation OF WHOLE PERIOD i.e 60 days .. and as i said above that sounds hilarious and rather ilogical from any tourist point of view even those that stick at same resort for months ... many   id even say most  tourist just plan trip along and like not to be stuck with some pre booked itirenary .

This is what i read at thai embassy in hcmc website regarding required docs to walk in the  previously apointed day and time .

2.5. Accommodation / Place of stay

(1)  Applicant staying at the hotel

Copy of hotel or accommodation reservation, covering full period of stay.

Hotel reservation must start from the date of arrival into Thailand.

Proof of hotel accommodation reservation shall have the name of person, including family member(s) or accompanying person's name(s) applyng for visa. 

So , my doubts are if is this actually real and anyone here has experience aplying for visa there , do they really ask for whole period proof of acc .. ???    :0

i was just gonna buy a round ticket with options to change days and book some 3-4 days hotel with optiopn to cancel ... as most likely shall book airbnb one or 2 days before arrival ... so not available day i show at embassy ...

if this is the case .. i shall stick with visa exempt and 30 days extension ... 

excuse my english and thx for response in advance . 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

I had a friend who was also asked this weird thing in Malaysia, to book an entire 60 days somewhere upfront. When he supplied the same documents in Laos, they said this was not needed at all. It's ever changing and confusing for tourist visa, just a mess if you ask me.

Specially knowing everyone just makes fake bookings or cancels them after anyway.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

If applying in HCMC, make sure you meet all of their published requirements scrupulously and, even then, do not place 100% reliance on being successful if you have extensive history as a tourist in Thailand. This consulate was once a good place to apply, but has become unfriendly. As ever with Thai officials, when they seem to be unreasonable, keep the fake smile and polite demeanour. Doing otherwise reduces your chances.

13 hours ago, SEAHOPPER said:

Hi mates, 

i am considering aplying for a tourist VISA - 60 days if not mistaken - at HCMC  thai embassy . Before i  get an appointment wich suits me well couse i shall be for around one month in vietnam i am wary of usual 

trouble one can get in such places - specially western white dudes traveling solo ????   as u know after so many years of mass tourism it seems regrettably  SEA  has some sort of xenofobic traits on some individuals , anyways i read some feedback on the embassy at google and people specially westeners talk about lack of good manners towards them .... 

... couse i tried some months ago to do so in India and failed due to their funny requisites - actually it was not through proper embassy but some sort of contracted agency doing paper work for many embassies - . Apart from usual round flight ticket wich sounds legit they also asked for proof of accomodation OF WHOLE PERIOD i.e 60 days .. and as i said above that sounds hilarious and rather ilogical from any tourist point of view even those that stick at same resort for months ... many   id even say most  tourist just plan trip along and like not to be stuck with some pre booked itirenary .

This is what i read at thai embassy in hcmc website regarding required docs to walk in the  previously apointed day and time .

Proof of hotel accommodation reservation shall have the name of person, including family member(s) or accompanying person's name(s) applyng for visa. 

So , my doubts are if is this actually real and anyone here has experience aplying for visa there , do they really ask for whole period proof of acc .. ???    :0

i was just gonna buy a round ticket with options to change days and book some 3-4 days hotel with optiopn to cancel ... as most likely shall book airbnb one or 2 days before arrival ... so not available day i show at embassy ...

There's a dedicated online visa site operated y the VN Immigration Bureau, in English for online visas to enter VN at Ho Chi Minh City or Hanoi.

The online site is easy to use and all done in 24 hours.

Once issued print a copy, arrive at the arrival airport and go straight to the 'foreign passports' lines. No hassles at all.

I've used this method about 10 times, always worked well.

I've visited both cities many time to lecture at VN universities, everywhere I went people were friendly,  helpful, and polite.

Yelling/loud talk/being demanding is not appreciated, the locals will just ignore you. Had one US American professor tried to berate, be abusive to the students (*all around 19 to 25 years old) about the VN war 65 years ago.

Students quickly contacted the dean who promptly came to the classroom and told the professor to cease and insisted the professor leave the campus immediately , contract to teach cancelled, and go back to hotel. If needed call the uni admin and they would help to get an immediate return to US booking.

Not difficult to find English speakers.

Both cities and the regional areas are quite clean. 

Food is great and easy enough to find western food, good prices.

Plenty of large well stocked clean supermarkets with lots of western products, reasonable pricing.

Taxis can sometimes try to overcharge, but doesn't happen that often. Common enough in many countries.

It's not a good idea to hail a very small taxi, the interior space is just big enought for a small VN person. Westerners won't fit in.

Hope this helps, good luck.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, scorecard said:

There's a dedicated online visa site operated y the VN Immigration Bureau, in English for online visas to enter VN at Ho Chi Minh City or Hanoi.

I don't understand your reply.

The OP is asking about applying for a SETV to Thailand from HCMC consulate.

Depending on his pp country he may not even require a visa to enter Vietnam.

BTW for those that require a visa to enter Vietnam currently only e-Visa possible and the application takes 5 business days.

Note that Vietnam currently only offers 30 day single entry however 90 multi will be reintroduced late August. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

I don't understand your reply.

The OP is asking about applying for a SETV to Thailand from HCMC consulate.

Depending on his pp country he may not even require a visa to enter Vietnam.

BTW for those that require a visa to enter Vietnam currently only e-Visa possible and the application takes 5 business days.

Note that Vietnam currently only offers 30 day single entry however 90 multi will be reintroduced late August. 

My error, my apology.

15 hours ago, SEAHOPPER said:

Hi I did a tourist visa last week in 

HCMC . I had all the requirements but not the 6 months statement of my bank account and I was rejected . 1 hour later I came back with the 6 months … all was ok . I did get my tourist visa 

Hi mates, 

8 hours ago, trump said:

Crist ! ???? my english sucks i guess...

Thank for quick answers from all  but it was not really answered.

I kind of understand all requisites yet i have doubts about proof of accomodation....

Last time i tried in New  Delhi -and mumbai weeks before- they wanted proof of all days ie 60 days reservations on wichever lodge instrument....

I just do not want to do everything else and face some  worn out "public servant" smiling and  asking me for that ridiculous part... 

Why would anyone book 60 days in advance ....disgusting ...say the least ..

So trump mate you succesfully aplied a  week ago , what sort of accomodation proof was shown?

Thx and best regards all.

1 hour ago, SEAHOPPER said:

Anyone. ?

I guess it will be visa exempt then !????

That is always an option if your SETV is rejected.

Your long winded OP did not provide details of you current stay in Thailand.

This will be the main issue for any tourist visa application.

What do you mean?

I am in Vietnam right now till 5-10 august.

Landed in sea back in september ...

3 of 4 months spent on thailand last years ..never made quick visa runs stay at least a week or more in saigon or KL.

This year 45 + 30 since mid jan ....

Out in malaysia since late march....

So i doubt i can be labelled as visa run hopper ????

The problem ok so if it fails i go visa exempt but i allready had to book a flight not of my liking ie round with upgrade to be able to exchange data....plus all hassle of the rest plus the usual pain in the. *

of dealing with the usual bunch at this places ..like at laksi or any other inmigration office ....

There is really noone who aplied at hcmc  that can provide answer 

Cheers !

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, SEAHOPPER said:

What do you mean?

I am in Vietnam right now till 5-10 august.

Landed in sea back in september ...

3 of 4 months spent on thailand last years ..never made quick visa runs stay at least a week or more in saigon or KL.

This year 45 + 30 since mid jan ....

Out in malaysia since late march....

So i doubt i can be labelled as visa run hopper ????

The problem ok so if it fails i go visa exempt but i allready had to book a flight not of my liking ie round with upgrade to be able to exchange data....plus all hassle of the rest plus the usual pain in the. *

of dealing with the usual bunch at this places ..like at laksi or any other inmigration office ....

There is really noone who aplied at hcmc  that can provide answer 

Cheers !

Plenty of people apply at HCMC, some successfully, some unsuccessfully. If you meet all the requirements, and can hide your contempt of the officials, your chances would be good. If you think there is anyone who can tell you with 100% certainty that your application will be successful, you are delusional.

Exactly ...

requirements and that my only question/doubt ....

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

this is on their website regarding requirements ...

DO I REALLY HAVE TO SHOW BOOKING OF 60 days .....  thats my only question here and doubt ..

if so i shall stick with exempt and laksi ... plane to vientiane is too expensive from hcmc for my liking ,,,plus another trip to bkk somehow ..maybe next run ...

Best regards .

6 minutes ago, SEAHOPPER said:

Exactly ...

requirements and that my only question/doubt ....

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

this is on their website regarding requirements ...

DO I REALLY HAVE TO SHOW BOOKING OF 60 days .....  thats my only question here and doubt ..

if so i shall stick with exempt and laksi ... plane to vientiane is too expensive from hcmc for my liking ,,,plus another trip to bkk somehow ..maybe next run ...

Best regards .

As I wrote in my first reply, all the published requirements must be complied with. If your stay is to be 60 days, you need confirmed hotel booking(s) covering the whole 60 days. Unrealistic for many tourists, yes, but there are solutions. The simplest solution is a hotel booking that allows free cancellation.

5 hours ago, SEAHOPPER said:

DO I REALLY HAVE TO SHOW BOOKING OF 60 days .....  thats my only question here and doubt

There have been reports confirming that this is indeed what they want to see. It's a nonsensical requirement, but you will have to meet it - their application process, their rules.

OP - it is pretty common to be able to book a hotel which allows free cancellation.  i'd book two, 30 day stays to cover your 60 day period.  many hotels don't require prepayment for these bookings so you don't have to go through a refund process.  you do have to provide credit card info but no charges are made to the card until you arrive at the property.   enjoy the rest of your stay in saigon, i always enjoy my time there.  great place !!

Thanks for replays guys !

We i shall consider it yet i still found very strange people actually get rejected if not shown 60 days....

...and with political turmoil perhaps wiser to try shorter way...

....my guess it just a rule they force on will alone...and a western dude  has many tickets to get hassled by 'ever   happy'  - probably like most places on earth - thai civil servants ...

Regards.

21 minutes ago, SEAHOPPER said:

.my guess it just a rule they force on will alone...and a western dude  has many tickets to get hassled by 'ever   happy'  - probably like most places on earth - thai civil servants ...

This post can be added to your OP and other posts ...,in that have not understood one.

Agents in Saigon can guide you through the process. 

1 hour ago, SEAHOPPER said:

...and with political turmoil perhaps wiser to try shorter way...

If you enjoy staying in Vietnam, spending more time there and less time in Thailand would be worth considering. Effective August 15th, that will get easier, as Vietnam will bring back the 3-month multi-entry tourist visa.

58 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

This post can be added to your OP and other posts ...,in that have not understood one.

Agents in Saigon can guide you through the process. 

yeap i have problems myself to understand it    ????... english not native language ..sorry about that ..

what i mean its thats probably a rule they demand only ocasionally whenever they want someone to sweet it off ... you know happy ever persons behind a service desk ...specially with no personal profit from it at all ....  

8 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Effective August 15th, that will get easier, as Vietnam will bring back the 3-month multi-entry tourist visa.

Thanks for update.

I thought it was Aug 23.

In any event good news the 90 multi will be available.

I assume it will be available on current e-Visa application..

Being Oz looking forward to that

1 minute ago, SEAHOPPER said:

yeap i have problems myself to understand it    ????... english not native language ..sorry about that .

That's such a nice reply.

I can only understand one language so you way ahead of me.

Not clear if you have been to Saigon previously.

The agents (on every corner) can assist with tourist visa for Thailand.

Hope all goes well for you.

As pointed out in your thread..

You need appointment. 

Good luck

3 months for Vietnam ! 

And e-visa? No gov building process crap?

Thats great news .

I prefer it here in some ways ...

Viets are not so open as Thais ..but that does not have usually to be  a bad trait at all.

Noble and fair as its the case in most of the area countries.

Cheers.

Edited by SEAHOPPER

2 hours ago, SEAHOPPER said:

3 months for Vietnam ! 

And e-visa? No gov building process crap?

Yes, it will be an eVisa.

Also, for those nationalities that are eligible for visa exempt entry, that will go up from 15 to 45 days.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

In case there are people still interested in this interesting thread, here are my lessons learned from trying to get a Tourist Visa from the Thai Consulate In HCMC. All in all I did waste money in the process and have to fall back to the visa exemption.

image.thumb.png.12887d17058ef1ac1c26ede48b2351f7.png