Crackdown ordered on organised crime in Pattaya, stricter visa screening after Ralter Mack murder

webfact

37 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Anyone with history that would be shown on  a police check certificate.

I'd say that's a better definition of a dumbazz.

A lot of the real scumbags are way too smart to have police records. They're not getting in bar fights or holding up the local 711 for a few hundred quid.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, JonnyF said:

I'd say that's a better definition of a dumbazz.

A lot of the real scumbags are way too smart to have police records. They're not getting in bar fights or holding up the local 711 for a few hundred quid.

But that is not the kind of criminals we are talking about, and they will be far and between.

If there had been criminal checks previously, then Olaf and the other German bitch would never have made it inside Thailand.

20 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Well, that didn't work out well then obviously, so money wasted.

It was a visit to agent office then the bank, rep from agent there as well who took my photo then I had to go to Jomtien and have some one take a photo outside the office showing me standing next to the immigration logo.

Since I have a yellow book and pink ID card, I never need them, so definite don't have to pay an agent for it.

I do mine also for free from the convenience of home, takes me about 5 minutes, and no need to travel to the agent to hand in and pick up my passport

This time was a one off due the German murder,  it’s normally a trip to the agent then the bank then home. Collect my passport from the agent in 2 days. 
My time is precious in the later stages in life well worth the money. It saves the journey time, 2 baht buses to get to Jomtien from across the city or if I really want to splash the cash a Bolt taxi.

Good for you having a Yellow Book and Pink ID Card not every one has.

Edited by Jumbo1968
Edit
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Jumbo1968 said:

This time was a one off due the German murder,

Time will tell if it is a one off. My point is that it doesn't take me much longer to extend my permission to stay, as it takes you to visit the agents office.

To evidence that, last extension I had an appointment at 2pm, after my business with immigration was finished, I walked to the tax revenue office, where they completed all the papers for my withholding tax returns. Quite a bit of work as i have 6 accounts.

At 3.32PM I entered highway 7 in north Pattaya, and I know that time is correct, since they send me a picture of it

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Time will tell if it is a one off. My point is that it doesn't take me much longer to extend my permission to stay, as it takes you to visit the agents office.

To evidence that, last extension I had an appointment at 2pm, after my business with immigration was finished, I walked to the tax revenue office, where they completed all the papers for my withholding tax returns. Quite a bit of work as i have 6 accounts.

At 3.32PM I entered highway 7 in north Pattaya, and I know that time is correct, since they send me a picture of it

You have transport I don’t, my choice and I will continue to use an agent, money well spent, makes my life a lot less stressful, I let the agent take the strain.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2023 at 5:50 AM, brucegoniners said:

So basically all people applying for retirement visas are going to have to go through additional BS just because of this scum? Yeah, makes sense to me.

If you're a good guy, nothing to hide, you will have no issues so stop your moaning. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Sad 1

On 7/17/2023 at 2:15 AM, webfact said:

tightening of Immigration Bureau screening of visa applicants particularly for retirement visas applicants who may have links to crime.

About bloody time. 

I'm fed up with the lowlife foreigners here in Thailand. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

About bloody time. 

I'm fed up with the lowlife foreigners here in Thailand. 

People who live in glass castles shouldn’t throw stones.

if Thailand is full of scumbags why are you living here ?

Edited by Jumbo1968
Edit
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

People who live in glass castles shouldn’t throw stones.

if Thailand is full of scumbags why are you living here ?

OMG, are you here to antagonize and annoy me? 

So many members here commenting willy nilly, just to aggravate others. 

Where did I say 'Thailand is full of scumbags'? 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

5 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

OMG, are you here to antagonize and annoy me? 

So many members here commenting willy nilly, just to aggravate others. 

Where did I say 'Thailand is full of scumbags'? 

Well you keep talking about them if there is, because some one gets murdered an every day occurrence in most countries you want everyone to arrives to have a Police check.

if Thailand is so concerned they should introduce the ESTA system used to enter the States or the ETIAS system for people who live in non Eu countries including the U.K. who want to visit an EU country to be introduced in 2024.

2 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

The subject matter is Thailand not the whole world.

Required criminal checks would certainly aide in the "good guys in bad guys out" mantra that was touted a while back.

Logistically, impossible to implement, and it would destroy the tourism industry which is already struggling to recover from Covid.

If they did implement it, it will be restricted to retirement visas only, as that is the visa this murdering criminal was on. 

“General Surachate Hakparn ordering a crackdown and a tightening of Immigration Bureau screening of visa applicants particularly for retirement visas applicants who may have links to crime. He also has ordered police to pay special attention to organised groups with distinctive tattoos and who ride Harley Davidson motorcycles.

1.  Tightening retirement visa screening?  If it is to filter out those with organized criminal affiliations then a fingerprint criminal background from the home country could be considered.  This could be difficult for Non O Retirement applications done in LOS.  In most cases one has to actually go back to the home country to do this.  This is already a requirement for an OA Visa done at Thai Embassies.  

2.  Tattoos and Harleys?  Hmm, are we talking about Sons of Anarchy or eve Mayans MC? 

Just another day in paradise. 

1 hour ago, BenStark said:

But that is not the kind of criminals we are talking about, and they will be far and between.

If there had been criminal checks previously, then Olaf and the other German bitch would never have made it inside Thailand.

Did they have criminal records in Germany? 

1 hour ago, Ralf001 said:

Ive no problem with tarring them all with the same brush.

How about a 50 year old conviction for ganja? Now legal in home country and here in Thailand...

Bit of a conundrum na?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Some people might not be able to get this in Thailand, so they would have to travel back home just for such a requirement.

Exactly this - they will likely implement it without thought as to the difficulty of complying.

Anybody know if UK Nationals have to go back to get it or can i be done from here. there will be a time limit of likely within 3 months before extension date so if not doable from here forced to go back to UK on a date not of your choosing.

Maybe they will only extend OA/X visas in future as a way of implementing this.

Edited by mokwit

2 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

If you're a good guy, nothing to hide, you will have no issues so stop your moaning. 

I don't have a criminal record so I have nothing to hide, but if it transpires I have to make a trip back to home country ahead of visa extension on certain dates, I won't welcome that inconvenience from further changing of the deal.

All those wishing for tighter visa regulations, be careful what you wish for - the rising tide might reach you. You may think as one of the self styled "good" Falangs you will always be OK, but at the very least you may have to file further documents a extension time.

Edited by mokwit
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

If they force everyone re-applying for a non-O visa to go home to re-apply, there will be a reaction.

The real criminals will be living under a false identity here, we all know brown envelopes can help smooth the passage. A few weeks ago it was the Chinese who bought the Police out to set up illegal gambling in Thailand.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2023 at 9:21 AM, Caldera said:

They could start with introducing a criminal records check. Some of those retirees probably have criminal records as thick as a phone book back home, and filtering them out would be easy. I've never understood why this isn't a requirement for ALL longterm visas and extensions. 

When's the last time I've heard of a phone book?

It was in a joke told to me about a chubby lady.

"She's got more chins than the Hong Kong phone book.Happy - Emoji face by Graphic Mall on Dribbble

3 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

“General Surachate Hakparn ordering a crackdown and a tightening of Immigration Bureau screening of visa applicants particularly for retirement visas applicants who may have links to crime. He also has ordered police to pay special attention to organised groups with distinctive tattoos and who ride Harley Davidson motorcycles.

1.  Tightening retirement visa screening?  If it is to filter out those with organized criminal affiliations then a fingerprint criminal background from the home country could be considered.  This could be difficult for Non O Retirement applications done in LOS.  In most cases one has to actually go back to the home country to do this.  This is already a requirement for an OA Visa done at Thai Embassies.  

2.  Tattoos and Harleys?  Hmm, are we talking about Sons of Anarchy or eve Mayans MC? 

Just another day in paradise. 

Oh oh..I've had a couple HD's here over the years, I hope they don't find out. BTW does anyone know of a place where I can get a "Mother" tattoo removed?

On 7/17/2023 at 9:21 AM, Caldera said:

They could start with introducing a criminal records check. Some of those retirees probably have criminal records as thick as a phone book back home, and filtering them out would be easy. I've never understood why this isn't a requirement for ALL longterm visas and extensions. 

Not sure this would work as easily circumvented. Myself, I have not lived in my home country for 40 years although I maintain residency there on  paper. So, what is it going to say. Nought!!! Too many loopholes to be of much use for determined criminals

• Like 2

23 hours ago, mokwit said:

My best guess is criminal record check from home country same as OA visa. Proof of origin of funds a very distant second possibility.

Preventing agents supplying 800k to support a visa / ext. application is likely to be looked at.  In sources mentioned on TNT both the accused had gotten their retirement visas / extensions this way.  

13 minutes ago, 2ndhomepattaya said:

Not sure this would work as easily circumvented. Myself, I have not lived in my home country for 40 years although I maintain residency there on  paper. So, what is it going to say. Nought!!! Too many loopholes to be of much use for determined criminals

So only 95% effective then.....

Its good enough.

18 hours ago, david555 said:

On my request online to my E.U.country Justice department delivered it in to 3 weeks by mail on my Thai address .

While officially living in Thailand and registered with my address at my BKK embassy

So not impossible to get the needed if you are entitled to get one .....

I wish I had faith that my gov't would respond so quickly.Most likely farmed out to the lowest bidder.

It would probably take ages and a guy could find his visa expired before it came back.

17 minutes ago, Sigma6 said:

Preventing agents supplying 800k to support a visa / ext. application is likely to be looked at.  In sources mentioned on TNT both the accused had gotten their retirement visas / extensions this way.  

Surely impossible since "Chok" himself introduced the need to keep 400k year 'round to stop this? Surely it can't be that we have all been forced to keep 400k in the bank but same day 800k business is going on as usual? If that is the case then those who couldn't stump up the 400k were probably forced to use agents............

You may be right, that may well be what he is referring to. It seems "the system" is currently very reluctant to offer facilitated visa processing without further supporting details. Some say they are getting extensions with same day 800k as always, others say it has stopped. I think the recent fixation on TM30 was to identify agents shared address for multiple applicants. Seems business is going on but an inactive post awaits any that sign off on Triads, hence the greater caution and requirements.

Edited by mokwit