Auschwitz Memorial criticizes Fox News’ Greg Gutfeld for saying Jews survived Nazi camps by being ‘useful’

Social Media

24 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I don’t believe you don't get it.

The explanation is in the OP.

Is it because he didn't do the requisite throat-clearing explanation of 'of course the Holocaust was human tragedy on an industrial scale....'? Because everybody knows that.  In a panel discussion there is no time for that kind of thing. 

• Sad 5
  • Thumbs Up 1

43 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I don’t believe you don't get it.

The explanation is in the OP.

No, you don’t get it. The media left turns truth into fiction and fiction into truth. Yet many foolishly continue to fall for it. It’s the same play used by 1930’s-1940’s Germany, Chinese revolutionary’s and ussr. It’s fascinating to watch and read the rationalizations and arguments to justify being misled. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

I don't get the problem. It is common in all situations of oppression and terror. Some victims can parlay their skills into survival in spite of the horror of the situation. It does not detract from the overall horrid situation at all. 

The media is really stretching here.

Probably the most well known because of the movie would be sobibor craftsmen goldsmiths  'Shlomo' Szmajzner and his brother who escaped the camp and survived. Others did what they had to including hundreds of very talented workers at the underground V2 facility at Mittelbau-Dora and closer to Auschwitz was the Siemans factory at Monowitz. Picture:

Monwitz.jpg

24 minutes ago, candide said:

As usual, the context is important Gutfeld made a comparison between black people alegedly benefiting from slavery (sic),  and concentration camps.

He was replying to (quote from the OP):

"Jessica Tarlov, a panelist on “The Five” who is Jewish, said she was “uncomfortable” with the implication that some Black people benefited from slavery and asked whether one could make a similar argument about Jews who were imprisoned at concentration camps during World War II, when Adolf Hitler’s genocidal regime murdered about 6 million Jews and also targeted Romany people, homosexuals and political dissidents."

And....he did!

Except the premise that black people benefitted from slavery is NOT in the curriculum in Florida, nor did Gutfeld say that Jews benefitted from the Holocaust. The point he was making is that people do whatever they can to survive, if that means collaborating with the oppressor then so be it.  

The comparison with slavery is not accurate IMHO. There was no genocidal intent in slavery.  And slaves often did develop (or were taught) skills that benefitted their owners. These same skills later (when slavery was abolished) benefitted some of the freed slaves. How is that controversial? A slave who was a blacksmith could use those same skills to work as a free man.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Except the premise that black people benefitted from slavery is NOT in the curriculum in Florida, nor did Gutfeld say that Jews benefitted from the Holocaust. The point he was making is that people do whatever they can to survive, if that means collaborating with the oppressor then so be it.  

The comparison with slavery is not accurate IMHO. There was no genocidal intent in slavery.  And slaves often did develop (or were taught) skills that benefitted their owners. These same skills later (when slavery was abolished) benefitted some of the freed slaves. How is that controversial? A slave who was a blacksmith could use those same skills to work as a free man.

"Except the premise that black people benefitted from slavery is NOT in the curriculum in Florida"

I think you will find it is..............

DeSantis defends Florida curriculum that suggests slaves benefited from forced labour

Florida Governor Ron DeSantis defended a hard-right school curriculum that went into effect in his state this week while on the campaign trail for the Republican presidential nomination.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/desantis-florida-slavery-schools-gop-b2380508.html

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Well, he could just have said that it is not comparable, or that both cases were bad. He said what he said (probably partly by stupidity).

To re-use one of your previous forms of argument, it is obvious that former slaves were able to use what they have been forced to learn as slave.

They why was it stressed (see Bkk Brian post before)? If not for suggesting that, after all, slavery was not that bad.

Edited by candide

24 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

"Except the premise that black people benefitted from slavery is NOT in the curriculum in Florida"

I think you will find it is..............

DeSantis defends Florida curriculum that suggests slaves benefited from forced labour

Florida Governor Ron DeSantis defended a hard-right school curriculum that went into effect in his state this week while on the campaign trail for the Republican presidential nomination.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/desantis-florida-slavery-schools-gop-b2380508.html

I believe that slavery is mentioned 191 times in the curriculum in Florida. One time it tangentally mentions the skills that slaves learned which might have been useful after they were freed.

Pretty thin gruel here.

5 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

I believe that slavery is mentioned 191 times in the curriculum in Florida. One time it tangentally mentions the skills that slaves learned which might have been useful after they were freed.

Pretty thin gruel here.

However contradicts your earlier claim, that why I posted it so you could see it is in the curriculum.

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:

However contradicts your earlier claim, that why I posted it so you could see it is in the curriculum.

They did not benefit from slavery.  As in "wow, good thing we were sold to those white folks! We get a free boat ride to the New World! Now we can learn to farm!".

Rather, they were clever and resourceful enough to use what they took from their experience as slaves.

Perhaps you can't see the difference in nuance. It all stems from Kamala Harris gaslighting what she read on Twitter about the curriculum and her attempt to turn it into a Democratic talking point. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

28 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Pretty thin gruel here.

Source please that the new curriculum mentions slavery 191 times?

58 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Correct me if I’m wrong.

The Nazi used victims of the Holocaust as slave labor?

Not so much victims of the Nazis ‘parlaying’ their skills as being enslaved by the brutality of the Nazi killing machine.

7 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

I don't get the problem. It is common in all situations of oppression and terror. Some victims can parlay their skills into survival in spite of the horror of the situation. It does not detract from the overall horrid situation at all. 

The media is really stretching here.