Should bigots in sporting crowds be fined and banned?

bignok

A few years ago I was traveling Europe with my daughter who was the 8 at the time , and since she played soccer (football) back in the US I thought it would be a good idea to take her to a football game there . I won't mention the country because I am, sure they are all the same and I don't want o offend anyone , so I will offend everyone LOL

Anyway the opposing team had a couple of black players (we were sitting at the home team section)  The epithets the hurled at them was incredible, if it was back in the US, they would have been thrown out of the stadium by the guards, even arrested. 

I was glad my daughter did not speak the language. Never went again.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Unfortunately, free speech is a dying freedom that we once took for granted. It's guaranteed under the U.S. constitution and I am sure under many other countries constitutions. The problem is that many people are willing to give up their free speech in the name of sensibilities and other woke generalities. I would not attend a sporting event if I had to give up my free speech rights, what fun is that?

• Thanks 1

Just now, Screaming said:

Unfortunately, free speech is a dying freedom that we once took for granted. It's guaranteed under the U.S. constitution and I am sure under many other countries constitutions. The problem is that many people are willing to give up their free speech in the name of sensibilities and other woke generalities. I would not attend a sporting event if I had to give up my free speech rights, what fun is that?

I think you're confused.

Sporting event authorities have every right to impose rules of conduct. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Screaming said:

It's guaranteed under the U.S. constitution and I am sure under many other countries constitutions.

I think you need to get out more, and keep up with current events in the USA.

How would you separate out the "bigots" you refer to?

Far better to do the ENTIRE WORLD a huge service by just BANNING ALL SPORTING CROWDS!

As a rower, I used to HATE the crowds which would congregate in the bleachers located at the finish line, just as we had given our all to get through the last quarter mile.

There we would be, spent and exhausted, lying on our oars, while the crown gloated.

I do hate the sporting crowds.

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Far better to do the ENTIRE WORLD a huge service by just BANNING ALL SPORTING CROWDS!

As a rower, I used to HATE the crowds which would congregate in the bleachers located at the finish line, just as we had given our all to get through the last quarter mile.

There we would be, spent and exhausted, lying on our oars, while the crown gloated.

It's a matter of behavior. Like the Mexican chants.

Speaking of sporting crowds, I'll never forget when my Dad took me to "bat day" at a baseball game. Free bats for all. Meaning the huge crowd was banging the bats on the floor the entire game. Fun for me. A deep trauma for my Dad. 

Edited by Jingthing

17 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Talk about throwing the baby out with the bath water - why should the vast majority of sensible, respectful fans suffer for the sins of the few? 
What a ridiculous suggestion. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, johnnybangkok said:

Talk about throwing the baby out with the bath water - why should the vast majority of sensible, respectful fans suffer for the sins of the few? 
What a ridiculous suggestion. 

Well, for one thing, I like privacy during the race, and especially just after crossing the finish line after doing the last grueling 500 meters.

I don't need a lot of stupid gawkers looking at me; the crowd that might die halfway through the first 500 meters of a 2000-meter rowing race.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

I am not going to say. 

I will just look at their direction a whistle 

Brrrrrit. :cheesy:

Careful mate.

While thy are infamous for giving, they can not handle it coming back.

Trigger happy on that report button.

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Goat said:

Careful mate.

While thy are infamous for giving, they can not handle it coming back.

Trigger happy on that report button.

What ??report me for whistling? :tongue:

I did say that they all do, so I am an equal opportunity offender ???? 

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, johnnybangkok said:

I think you’re missing the point. Your original comment was about banning all crowds from all sporting events not some silly anecdotal scenario about rowing. 
Try and stay on track (pun intended). 

OK.

But, Track and Field is really not my game.

Should bigots [..] be fined and banned?

Look how many people are called by others "bigot".

Now, if people mention that a guy who calls himself a girl, can't compete in women's sports is called by some people "bigot".

It's all in the eye of the beholder.

Personally I think people will learn to limit what they say by others around them.

Say a phrase in a bar with your friends and everyone laughs.

Do the same in other places and the situation might be very different.

Just imagine you would accurately describe the orange one in the middle of lots of rednecks. Would they appreciate that you said the truth? 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

I am not going to say. 

I will just look at their direction a whistle 

Brrrrrit. :cheesy:

What should happen is the others in the crowd should tell them to pull their heads in. I have done this before at an AFL game. Towards an Aboriginal player, surprisingly from what I would call a "new Australian"

The problem is when the majority are idiotic cowards in a large group most people just laugh along.

The banality of this discussion is that being a sporting event "bigot" is misleading the responders.  Each team has its followers which could be called bigots... the broader concept at play here is it ok to be a bigot in the world scene... everyday life... and the answer is ______... BUT is it ok to express your bigotry in a public venue with total disregard for anyone else at said venue... the answer is "NO".  Freedom of speech has nothing to do with it... respect and decorum is implied along with your individual freedoms based on societal norms... IMHO that's where the "public" has lost their way... and quite frankly they have been mislead by their hero sports figures... no matter which sport.

Edited by Skipalongcassidy
sentence structure
  • Thumbs Up 1