Passport expiring in less then 12 months

I am due to extend my current retirement  NON O extension  which expires on 14 August 2023.

However my Passport will be expiring on 2 June 2024. I will be filing for my extension   at                             Pathum Thani Immigration.  Would there be any problem with less than 1 year remaining in

my passport? Has anyone had  the same situation? Thank you all in advance.

9 minutes ago, BritTim said:

The only problem is that your extension will not be for a full year. Your extension will expire at the same time as your passport. You will need to apply for your following extension earlier.

I hope that's the case, I can deal with that. Thank you for responding.

39 minutes ago, DPKANKAN said:

Then just go to mythaivisa.com and they renew your passport simply.

Just got mine done.

Their website does not suggest that their services include passport renewals. Which countries' passports are they empowered to issue?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Their website does not suggest that their services include passport renewals. Which countries' passports are they empowered to issue?

They do passports...Punch mythaivisa on Facebook....

5 hours ago, DPKANKAN said:

Mine is UK British. Just email "[email protected]". Sorted everything out done by post no visits necessary.

Do I understand correctly that

1. You mailed your UK passport which was expiring soon to Mythaivsa;

2. Mythaivisa obtained a new passport for you, presumably with documents you also sent them, but at no point during the process did you have to be personally present, neither at the office of Mythaivisa nor at the UK embassy nor at the office of an agency acting on behalf of the UK passport office?

23 minutes ago, Maestro said:

2. Mythaivisa obtained a new passport for you, presumably with documents you also sent them, but at no point during the process did you have to be personally present, neither at the office of Mythaivisa nor at the UK embassy nor at the office of an agency acting on behalf of the UK passport office?

Correct.

• Thanks 1

The agent needs your old passport in order to collect the new one when it arrives.  But I'm sure if you needed the old one back they would send it to you by EMS and when you've done you send it back to them by EMS.

4 hours ago, Maestro said:

There are other agents that perform the same function.

Saves time and money.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Maestro said:

The embassy has nothing to do with passport renewal.

It's all handled through VFS.

I am interested in this because my next passport will be at 80, the thought of 2 trips to VFS to renew my passport is daunting.

My understanding with VFS was that I had to apply in person so that my face and photo could be matched. If an agent does it, such matching could not happen. The 2nd trip was to collect the new passport, a letter for immigration to renew stamps, and have the corner of the old passport cut off.

Are there legal comebacks?

On 7/29/2023 at 12:10 PM, looplaw said:

I hope that's the case, I can deal with that. Thank you for responding.

It is absolutely the case, happened to me last year, presented no problems with Immigration. Obtain your new passport ASAP.

2 hours ago, billzant said:

My understanding with VFS was that I had to apply in person so that my face and photo could be matched. If an agent does it, such matching could not happen

I don't think VFS clerks are expected to verify your identity. If the photos submitted do not approximate to that in the expiring passport, HMPO may require someone known to the applicant to certify that they are a true likeness. Lots of applications are made by agents without the applicant being present - otherwise, there would be no point in using an agent.

Edit: I will be 85 if/when my passport needs renewing, and though I've made the trip to apply in person before, I too don't fancy doing it again.

Edited by Eff1n2ret

3 hours ago, Eff1n2ret said:

I don't think VFS clerks are expected to verify your identity. If the photos submitted do not approximate to that in the expiring passport, HMPO may require someone known to the applicant to certify that they are a true likeness. Lots of applications are made by agents without the applicant being present - otherwise, there would be no point in using an agent.

Edit: I will be 85 if/when my passport needs renewing, and though I've made the trip to apply in person before, I too don't fancy doing it again.

Hi Eff1n2ret,

As part of the application package this time, my photo was signed on the back, and the name of the signer was entered on the application form. VFS were helpful but meticulously checked what I gave them. If the embassy "outsources" to VFS then it is reasonable to think that an agent can submit an application to VFS to be forwarded on. 

I note your sympathetic edit.

I have rarely used agents but have found them helpful. I have never done this but I do know of agents who are able to bend the bureaucracy in Thailand. I am asking if there is "bending" going on when agents submit to VFS?

I had just the same issue as you. Passport expiry April 25, extension of stay expiry May 24. I realised next renewal I would only get 11 months. That did not fit with my schedule of split time in UK/Thailand. I decided as I am here in the UK at this time to get a new passport even though I had 22 months left. All done online, passport back in 3 weeks.