Is Monday July 31 an official bank holiday or not?

As you know, Thailand has done a last minute extended six day holiday thingie to give some Thais that can take advantage of that a long break.

The question here is about Monday July 31 which was the added day.

On official Thai bank holiday sites August 1 is bank holiday but July 31 isn't.

I know that shopping center branches will be open regardless. That isn't my question here.

My question here is if

Is Monday July 31 an OFFICIAL bank holiday or not?

If so, it would mean non-shopping mall branches closed and money transfers not going through, etc.

• Thumbs Up 1

45 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

As you know, Thailand has done a last minute extended six day holiday thingie to give some Thais that can take advantage of that a long break.

The question here is about Monday July 31 which was the added day.

On official Thai bank holiday sites August 1 is bank holiday but July 31 isn't.

I know that shopping center branches will be open regardless. That isn't my question here.

My question here is if

Is Monday July 31 an OFFICIAL bank holiday or not?

If so, it would mean non-shopping mall branches closed and money transfers not going through, etc.

I hope not, as I will be transferring some money to my son for his uni living costs in Chiang Rai.

If the bank transfer does not go through on Monday, neither of us have any  idea when he will get the money.

37 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I hope not, as I will be transferring some money to my son for his uni living costs in Chiang Rai.

If the bank transfer does not go through on Monday, neither of us have any  idea when he will get the money.

Well even without factoring in weekends and holidays, SWIFT transfers can take about five business days and not be considered late even though in reality they usually go in very quickly if on business days. 

If you're talking about a SWIFT transfer, if not Monday, then probably Wednesday as Tuesday is an offical bank holiday.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Well even without factoring in weekends and holidays, SWIFT transfers can take about five business days and not be considered late even though in reality they usually go in very quickly if on business days. 

If you're talking about a SWIFT transfer, if not Monday, then probably Wednesday as Tuesday is an official bank holiday.

It is a Wise transfer from the UK to my BBK account in Kamphaeng Phet.

From there I transfer it to my local KBank joint account using internet banking on my pc, and from there to my son's bank account.

Wise have done their bit, and it should be in my BBK account on Monday afternoon about 2 pm.

I used to use Swift but found it cumbersome, slower and more expensive than Wise so I went over to Wise in 2018.

The weekend problem is due to my state pension arriving at Wise on a Friday afternoon too late to transfer to Thailand.

Edited by billd766
added extra text

17 minutes ago, billd766 said:

From there I transfer it to my local KBank joint account using internet banking on my pc, and from there to my son's bank account.

Wise have done their bit, and it should be in my BBK account on Monday afternoon about 2 pm.

I used to use Swift but found it cumbersome, slower and more expensive than Wise so I went over to Wise in 2018.

The weekend problem is due to my state pension arriving at Wise on a Friday afternoon too late to transfer to Thailand.

I didn't understand your last para.

I also get my state pension which arrives at Wise on a Friday afternoon and am able to transfer it to Krungsri for immediate settlement at any time.

Anyway, all the banks are open on Monday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

wise usually takes minutes these days, if not seconds

2 hours ago, anchadian said:

I also get my state pension which arrives at Wise on a Friday afternoon and am able to transfer it to Krungsri for immediate settlement at any time.

2 hours ago, anchadian said:

At 79 I normally take a nap in the afternoons knowing that the state pension will not arrive at Wise UK until after BBK banking hours. so I can take my time transferring it, knowing that it won't be available until just after 2 pm on Monday afternoons.

I use BBK as my marriage extension is based on income, and that every transfer shows up as an FTT in my bankbook for the IO at Kamphaeng Phet.

I could go to my KBank joint account directly but that would mean ringing the call centre every time to get a confirmation email, and to be honest it would become a PITA. Add the fact that it does not show up as an FTT in the bankbook and that then becomes another pile of paper (twice, once for KPP and once for CM IO).

As it is I print out 37 sheets (twice) every year.

3 hours ago, billd766 said:

Inter-Thai transfers will go through as usual, the banks DO NOT turn the computers off!

If it doesn't go through on Monday, wait until Thursday. Is it a bank hol in UK on Monday?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, billd766 said:

At 79 I normally take a nap in the afternoons knowing that the state pension will not arrive at Wise UK until after BBK banking hours. so I can take my time transferring it, knowing that it won't be available until just after 2 pm on Monday afternoons.

I use BBK as my marriage extension is based on income, and that every transfer shows up as an FTT in my bankbook for the IO at Kamphaeng Phet.

I could go to my KBank joint account directly but that would mean ringing the call centre every time to get a confirmation email, and to be honest it would become a PITA. Add the fact that it does not show up as an FTT in the bankbook and that then becomes another pile of paper (twice, once for KPP and once for CM IO).

Just do not understand anyone who is 'waiting' for their State Pension to arrive on a particular day so that they can Wise it immediately. It used to be called 'living from payday to payday'. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Inter-Thai transfers will go through as usual, the banks DO NOT turn the computers off!

If it doesn't go through on Monday, wait until Thursday. Is it a bank hol in UK on Monday?

I have no idea, but according to Wise the monet "should be in the BBK around 10am on Monday and clear by 2 pm. The transfer has been done and I am just waiting on Monday afternoon and BBK.

https://www.gov.uk/bank-holidays

Rest of the year.

Date                   Day of the week    Bank holiday
28 August          Monday                 Summer bank holiday
25 December    Monday                 Christmas Day
26 December    Tuesday                 Boxing Day

31 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Helps to keep the ink-jets unblocked! 555

But seriously, why 74 sheets?

Just now, KannikaP said:

Just do not understand anyone who is 'waiting' for their State Pension to arrive on a particular day so that they can Wise it immediately. It used to be called 'living from payday to payday'. 

If you have spent time in hospital in Thailand you have to pay in cash.

I have had 2 blackouts this year and spent time in hospital which took a pile of money that I had not planned for.

Not every expat in Thailand is as rich as Croesus.

Croesus' legendary wealth leads to the expression 'rich as Croesus' and according to Herodotus, Croesus was the first monarch to mint gold and silver coins. Explore the evidence for this from the Hestia texts and other sources

2 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Helps to keep the ink-jets unblocked! 555

But seriously, why 74 sheets?

37 for the IO at Kamphaeng Phet and another 37 for the IO regional office #5 at Chiang Mai for the marriage extension.

I have no idea why Chiang Mai needs a copy but if it keeps them happy and quiet, it is not a problem once a year,

4 minutes ago, billd766 said:

If you have spent time in hospital in Thailand you have to pay in cash.

I have had 2 blackouts this year and spent time in hospital which took a pile of money that I had not planned for.

Not every expat in Thailand is as rich as Croesus.

Croesus' legendary wealth leads to the expression 'rich as Croesus' and according to Herodotus, Croesus was the first monarch to mint gold and silver coins. Explore the evidence for this from the Hestia texts and other sources

Sorry to hear of your illnesses.

Would love to meet this Croesus guy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Sorry to hear of your illnesses.

Would love to meet this Croesus guy.

The first blackout was scary. I was sitting up at the kitchen about 25 metres from the house one lunchtime, and my wife was in the big village 6 km away. The next thing I remember I was in hospital in Kamphaeng Phet having gone via thee local hospital 13 km away. It seems that the emergency rook took one look at me and shipped me off there.

I had no real idea of what happened, where I was, what the time,day or month was, how I got there or anything.

From what I pieced together from my wife the postman called and found me unconscious on the floor, couldn't find my wife so called the neighbour who took one look and called the ambulance who took me away.

The neighbour told my wife when she came back and she eventually tracked me down 65 km away in hospital in KPP.

I have no memory of the emergency room at all and only a vague memory of how long I was in hospital, somewhere between 3 and 5 days I think. It is still a blank area to me.

I think it was due to low blood pressure and I probably stood up too quickly and fell over.

I had no history of it happening before.

You may need a time machine. I believe that Dr Who has one.

Croesus

Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Croesus

croesus from en.wikipedia.org
Croesus was the king of Lydia, who reigned from 585 BC until his defeat by the Persian king Cyrus the Great in 547 or 546 BC. According to Herodotus ...
Lydian: ????????????????????????????????; (Krowiśaś)
Reign: c. 585 – c. 546 BC
Father: Alyattes of Lydia
Born: 7th/6th century BCE; Lydia Kingdom

• Thanks 1

On 7/29/2023 at 5:08 PM, billd766 said:

That looks like an insanely risky approach at age 79. It's also unnecessarily stressful. Wouldn't you sleep better (both at night and during your afternoon nap 555) if you simply kept 400,000 baht in a Thai bank for immigration purposes?