British

1 hour ago, Doctor Tom said:

Because we are speaking English mate, not some weird Colonial bastardisation of the language 

Is that why you say Ya'll or pronounce Aluminum instead of Aluminum Yank English is not the same as Queens English.

33 minutes ago, sungod said:

I think you guys are also tops for weekly school shootings too.

Absolutely ! We're number one !

And you know what our very American solution is?  MORE guns.

Many, if not most countries, have a heinous past. We're a young country, so we have to play catch up. We'll never catch the golden days of Colonialism and Imperialism perfected by the UK, Dutch, Spaniards, French, etc., and nobody is going to beat Nazi Germany for unspeakable horror. Still, we're covering ground.

I have noticed, however, that NZ is trying to catch up with mass shootings. On a per capita basis, they might take the crown.

22 minutes ago, BarraMarra said:

Goes for there diets too most yanks are Obese and overweight.

Not sure Americans are alone in that regard. Not anymore. I see lots of land whales waddling around Bangkok speaking English with accents not my own, or non-English. Fat is everywhere now. Even a lot of Thais are porkers.

It's becoming two kinds of six packs in the US....one from beer and burgers, one via the gym.

I carry a 79cm waist on a 183cm frame and 82 kg. Fat I am not. Quite defined musculature. No roids.

If I see a guy or gal who is obviously quite fit and a probable gym rat, odds are he/she is a Yank. My experience, at least. Some of us are obsessed with fitness.

We're not all cut from the same Happy Meal.

5 hours ago, KannikaP said:

We don't need your attributes. What about the Brits please! 555

How about finding out what the thread was about? Then you will understand my post better. But out of your reaction, I suspect you might be a Brit, so now I have to add problem understanding as a 6th point on my list ???? 

6 hours ago, DaveE13 said:

Still a few of us left. But agree most emigrated to Essex after the war. So the accent is known as Thames estuary 

Fair enough, I lived in England during the era of Big Brother Star, Jade Goody. She def had the Essex/Cockney accent. And was beloved, mainly just for that.

It's the only English accent that can't be faked. I've heard fake-posh and fake blokey-bloke, but that one is like black ghetto; it has to be lived.

And:

Wales: The only country where Anthony Bourdain said, "sod off, I'm not going".

Edited by LaosLover

16 hours ago, LaosLover said:

Sadly, that cockney accent is all but gone. It's like if you want to hear a Martin Scorcese-level New Yawk accent, you have to go out to The Pocono's or far north New Jersey, where all the cops retired to. 

My mother was a true cockney. Born within the sound of ball bag's bells, or whatever the saying is.

In its geographical and cultural senses, Cockney is best defined as a person born within hearing distance of the church bells of St. Mary-le-Bow, Cheapside, in the City of London.

10 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

How about finding out what the thread was about? Then you will understand my post better. But out of your reaction, I suspect you might be a Brit, so now I have to add problem understanding as a 6th point on my list ???? 

As far I can see the OP was entitled BRITISH and was poor Kicking not being able to chat with people in UK on Facebook. 

YES, I am ENGLISH and have no problem understanding your, or other's English if it is as I learned it. I do struggle sometimes with the 'variations' and dialects though, same as talking to a Yorkshireman or a Texan.

• Love It 1

24 minutes ago, BarraMarra said:

Good Points to be a brit

Being the first to invent the Jet Engine now used World Wide

First to Invent Vericle Take off on Fighters.

First to succesfully Imunise Covid infection now used World Wide.

First to Achieve running a mile under three Minutes.

First to swim the English Channel

England produces the biggest Bands in the World.

And lastly for bigbash we were the first to set up a penal Colony in Australia. 

.....and it seems everyone speaks, or wants to speak English, even if they don't spell it properly.....:clap2:

• Love It 1