Police Seize 15 Rented Motorbikes as Kuwaiti Motorbike Racers Remain a Problem in Pattaya

snoop1130

8 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

I am deeply disturbed that the recent liaison visit by the Kuwait Ambassador has done nothing to curb this diisturbing activity. ????

Why not go a step further, and have the Thai government send an official statement to the Kuwaiti government (or directly to the emir?) about the situation and how these youngsters' actions are painting their country in a most negative matter.  Perhaps even a subtle suggestion that Kuwaitis may be banned from Thailand.  And, maybe include photos of the youngsters with or without names.  Not sure how strict Kuwait is in punishment, but if it's like some of its neighboring countries, swift justice could put an end to the noisy bike riders.  Just a thought.

On 7/31/2023 at 5:17 PM, snoop1130 said:

drove loudly up and down the street without any regard for traffic rules. They also claimed the riders never wore helmets and had no valid licenses or insurance.

Shocking.  Absolutely shocking.  What on Earth gave them the idea that this type of behaviour would be tolerated in Thailand?!!

15 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Shocking.  Absolutely shocking.  What on Earth gave them the idea that this type of behaviour would be tolerated in Thailand?!!

Even if a local gets away with breaking the (even an unenforced such) law doesn't mean every tourist gets that right too.

5 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

No. The law applies to everyone the same.

"Thai people shouldn't have to follow the law, but foringers must." - Bizarre

Never can be, locals can't be punished the same, ie deported. Some laws in themselves are foreigner specific.....

Then there is the xenophobia we get here.

On 7/31/2023 at 5:36 PM, Danny Australia said:

How the residents of the area would have possibly known that? Did they personally check the papers of each rider?

Yes, the riders have been an ongoing problem in that area but that last statement just biased and ridiculous.

Their allegation could also be correct.  How could you know that it is "biased and ridiculous" unless you've personally checked the papers of each rider?

On 8/1/2023 at 11:41 AM, pattjock said:

Take a quick look at the big bikes at the rental places and you will find that nearly all of them have illegal aftermarket "silencers"

What makes them illegal?  As long as they produce less than 95Db they'd be legal, surely?   Why do you say that most of them exceed that?

Edited by Liverpool Lou

19 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What makes them illegal?  As long as they produce less than 95Db they'd be legal, surely?   Why do you say that most of them exceed that?

According to Thai law it's illegal to make alterations to the exhaust system, original parts must be used. It does not matter if the result is less than 95db.

• Confused 1

29 minutes ago, pattjock said:

According to Thai law it's illegal to make alterations to the exhaust system, original parts must be used. It does not matter if the result is less than 95db.

Where is it stated that non-manufacturers' parts are illegal if they meet the required standards and that nothing other than those produced by the manufacturers are permitted?

51 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

They're in English and Arabic!

I know that!

So in two foreign languages both with unfamiliar scripts!

I just expect determining if it includes a motor cycle is not so easy.

Edited by jacko45k

51 minutes ago, jacko45k said:
1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

They're in English and Arabic!

I know that!

So in two foreign languages both with unfamiliar scripts!

I just expect determining if it includes a motor cycle is not so easy.

You think that Thai bike shops are unfamiliar with understanding English as it relates to their businesses!?

• Confused 1

21 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

First, I have never seen anyone changing to an exhaust system that make less noise, at least not in Thailand.

The laws here are pretty much the same as in all other countries. All vehicles have been type approved and any changes from original must be approved and checked by DLT.

Change of appearance, like color, must be approved and entered in the book. Performance changes must be approved. Environmental changes like exhaust gases and sound must be approved. Safety changes like lowering the drivers visibility, tinting, must be approved.

All this is outlined in government regulations, same as in most other countries. The difference here is that no one cares and there is no or little enforcement.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, pattjock said:

Environmental changes like exhaust gases and sound must be approved.

So you're blindly assuming that every replacement exhaust system doesn't meet approved standards?  Are you part of a standards checking team here that goes around repair shop and dealers to check their inventory?  I didn't realise that.

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Where are the "window tinting standards" to which you refer to be found?   Here's a clue, there are none.

It's clearly stated in the vehicle act that you are not allowed to lower the windscreen visibility from original. If you do so the change must be approved by DLT. There is no mentioning of tinting per say but tinting lowers the visibility and must be approved. I have no clue what standards they use for approval.

Like I said before, conforming with regulations and enforcement is not a big thing in Thailand

Something doesn't add up to me most of the bikes are PCX's with modified Exhausts. These Kuwait'i  "tourists" are they hiring a PCX and taking it to a Bike Garage to get the exhaust changed then when they return the bike if rented back to the rental shop replace the boy racer silencer with the original silencer.