Two Indian Men Drown At Phuket Beach After Allegedly Ignoring No Swimming Warnings

webfact

image.jpeg

Phuket – Two Indian tourists drowned at Karon Beach, Mueang Phuket, after allegedly ignoring red flags and no swimming warnings.

Emergency responders were notified of the incident at 6:45 P.M. at Karon Beach on Tuesday (August 1st). They and the Phuket Express arrived at the beach with red flags which meant no swimming allowed placed along the beach.

Two male Indian tourists had already been pulled up from the surf onto the beach by lifeguards before rescue workers had arrived. 

By Goongnang Suksawat

Full story: https://thephuketexpress.com/2023/08/02/two-indian-men-drown-at-phuket-beach-after-allegedly-ignoring-no-swimming-warnings/

image.jpeg
-- © Copyright The Phuket Express 2023-08-02

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Sad 1

RIP chaps.

Could it be that like many Indians they're non swimmers and the NO SWIMMING sign was misunderstood for 'This is the time and place for non swimmers'?

Asking for a friend. ????

• Confused 2

11 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Most warning signs in Thailand are also in english and Indian are well versed in the english language.

I read somewhere that India had the largest number of English speakers in the world?

• Thumbs Up 1

While driving in Thailand, I have often wondered why gangs of Indian men walk down the middle of the street. I have thought that this behavior might be part of their culture. Or perhaps the Indians do not pay much attention to safety. Maybe I think too much.

15 hours ago, Keep Right said:

While driving in Thailand, I have often wondered why gangs of Indian men walk down the middle of the street. I have thought that this behavior might be part of their culture. Or perhaps the Indians do not pay much attention to safety. Maybe I think too much.

You have to understand, they come from a country where 300 people crossing the river Ganges on a ferry built to carry 100 people.  They have no idea about road safety.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, xylophone said:

In that case we think alike, but my main beef is with the Chinese who not only walk in the middle-of-the-road, but walk on the road when there is a pavement, and I have mentioned as much in the thread, "Patong – The Wake", and detailed how I clipped one with my wing mirror because they wouldn't move out of the way despite my sounding the horn – – I can only assume they are plain stupid.

The Chinese, the Russian and the Indian. But those Anglo chaps never did anything wrong ever. yeah

• Confused 1

they have to be completely off their heads to be going anywhere near the ocean at the moment, I was down Nai Harn beach yesterday around 8 am, it's wild even with half a brain you take one look at the ocean and there is no way you are going in there, 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Harsh Jones said:

They were probably completely ignorant about rip currents. Like all of us were at one point. The water probably looked calm enough and they just assumed someone didnt remove the flags yet. 

No. That day heavy waves.

38 minutes ago, Harsh Jones said:

They were probably completely ignorant about rip currents. Like all of us were at one point. The water probably looked calm enough and they just assumed someone didnt remove the flags yet. 

it's rough at the moment 

4 hours ago, Harsh Jones said:

Not saying that the following happened in this case but it has been known for Thai beach vendors to remove  red warning flags because of loss of trade as bathers cannot swim.

5 hours ago, Harsh Jones said:

The Chinese, the Russian and the Indian. But those Anglo chaps never did anything wrong ever. yeah

Not so much the Russians, but certainly the Chinese and Indian folk.........just to put you right!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/4/2023 at 10:45 AM, stevenl said:

Sigh

Sigh.... Just swim in the calm looking part eh ? Yeah.

They were probably completely ignorant about rip currents. The water probably looked calm enough 

(where they chose to swim)

No. That day heavy waves.

https://www.surfertoday.com/surfing/the-differences-between-rip-currents-undertows-and-rip-tides

Rip tides also occur in constricted areas in bays and lagoons where there are no waves.

Edited by Harsh Jones

https://kids.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/frym.2019.00033

Rip currents can be a little tricky to spot unless you know what to look for. Rip currents tend to look different from the surrounding water. Remember earlier we said that rip currents occur in deep channels where there are no waves breaking? That is the first clue as to how we can spot these currents. Look for areas of water where waves are not breaking—particularly narrow gaps of darker, calmer-looking water extending offshore. That could be a rip current, and good examples are shown in Figure 3. Because rip currents look calm, many people think they look like the safest place to swim and often choose to enter the water right in the middle of the rip current.

Hmmm wonder what happened here.....

21 hours ago, Harsh Jones said:

Sigh.... Just swim in the calm looking part eh ? Yeah.

https://www.surfertoday.com/surfing/the-differences-between-rip-currents-undertows-and-rip-tides

Rip tides also occur in constricted areas in bays and lagoons where there are no waves.

Sigh because you don't seem to understand there were waves. No calm looking parts