Thai Navy Ship Sustains Damage After Exercise in Rayong

snoop1130

Not surprising given that the Navy doesn't even know port from starboard.  The frigate hit the Southwest corner of the pier with its PORT side on exiting.

Source:  My girlfriend works at the company who owns the pier, and she was actually in the 'war room' set up on their premises for the NASMEX exercise.  She is a sailor and unlike these Navy morons, does actually know port from starboard on a vessel.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2023 at 10:47 AM, n8sail said:

Not surprising given that the Navy doesn't even know port from starboard.  The frigate hit the Southwest corner of the pier with its PORT side on exiting.

The starboard side of the vessel allided with the port wall, ie. the vessel's hull hit the wall of the port. No mention of the vessel's port side at all.

On 8/5/2023 at 10:47 AM, n8sail said:

Source:  My girlfriend works at the company who owns the pier, and she was actually in the 'war room' set up on their premises for the NASMEX exercise.  She is a sailor and unlike these Navy morons, does actually know port from starboard on a vessel.

Maybe you need tutoring on basic nautical terminology from your sailor girlfriend?

• Confused 1

On 8/8/2023 at 8:57 AM, NanLaew said:

The starboard side of the vessel allided with the port wall, ie. the vessel's hull hit the wall of the port. No mention of the vessel's port side at all.

Maybe you need tutoring on basic nautical terminology from your sailor girlfriend?

The vessel was facing due South when departing.  The only side that COULD have hit was the port side as it motored away in a Southerly direction since the pier in question is Westerly facing. Actually it hit what's called a 'dolphin' just off of the pier, not the wall of the port.  I've seen the footage.  My point is that a Thai Navy ADMIRAL ranked officer didn't report correctly which side hit.

My guess is the Thai translation to English from original article was wrong, but who knows.  The footage quite clearly shows the port side of the frigate hitting, and the article quite clearly states that the starboard side hit the pier.