Opinion Editorial: No, It Isn’t Time to Worry About RETIREMENT VISA Changes….Yet

webfact

21 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

I think you'll find that the O is more open to abuse than the O-A. Come in on a VOA or Tourist visa, extend, then convert to O. No police checks from home country or Thailand involved. That's one huge loophole in the system that allows the crims from different countries to come here and then stay long term. O-A only would shut that loophole immediately.

Yeah and it would create more hassle for everybody currently on non o visas,  you should keep ideas like that to yourself

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Olmate said:

Years ago same pep talk I watched in Phuket, same day they sent me on my third trip home over some trivia. Since then agent every year, no pep talk required!! 

How did you deserve that? Only once did an officer call down the 'big boss' from his office to 'investigate' me, she couldn't understand why an Englishman received a German pension, the German embassy letter wouldn't ally her fears that I was a fraud, she had never heard of the EU. The boss was quite puzzled by her confusion and opened up my file on the computer for her to see. From the ensuing conversation I was amazed about what they knew about me, a lot of private stuff, Where I used to live in Thailand, that I had been checked and found suitable to look after my partners 2 small daughters (I am estranged from my Thai legal wife), when my son was born and that he only had Thai citizen ship, that I had never left Thailand for a holiday back home etc. He then explained the EU to her and finished with the words, "Extend his Visa", gave me a smile and left.

45 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

From the ensuing conversation I was amazed about what they knew about me, a lot of private stuff, Where I used to live in Thailand, that I had been checked and found suitable to look after my partners 2 small daughters (I am estranged from my Thai legal wife), when my son was born and that he only had Thai citizen ship, that I had never left Thailand for a holiday back home etc.

All this is just the trail left by your visa/extension applications and grants and doesn't indicate any knowledge beyond that, surely.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, mokwit said:

All this is just the trail left by your visa/extension applications and grants and doesn't indicate any knowledge beyond that, surely.

Maybe your TM30 records, entries and exits to the country, CORs and the reasons for them.... and what you bought from Lazada.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, mokwit said:

I don't know, obviously things like where I used to live with my wife has come from the yellow book when I relocated to a different province, That they knew about me being investigated for the suitability of being a co-carer with my partner of two small children in our household (I now take care of their children) has come from the Youth welfare office (a very detailed investigation with lots of interviews with her relatives, the children and possibly contact with German authorities as they knew of my divorce in Munich, took 3 months), I being a foreigner they probably reported the findings to immigration. That I hadn't left Thailand was apparent because I had never applied for a re-entry permit. I don't know why they should know about my son except that my name was on the birth certificate although why it should be necessary to inform immigration of his birth, he being Thai, I can't imagine. I have the feeling that they know more about us than we realize.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

I don't know, obviously things like where I used to live with my wife has come from the yellow book when I relocated to a different province, That they knew about me being investigated for the suitability of being a co-carer with my partner of two small children in our household (I now take care of their children) has come from the Youth welfare office (a very detailed investigation with lots of interviews with her relatives, the children and possibly contact with German authorities as they knew of my divorce in Munich, took 3 months), I being a foreigner they probably reported the findings to immigration. That I hadn't left Thailand was apparent because I had never applied for a re-entry permit. I don't know why they should know about my son except that my name was on the birth certificate although why it should be necessary to inform immigration of his birth, he being Thai, I can't imagine. I have the feeling that they know more about us than we realize.

Did you have the "has Thai child" visa? - it would only apply to a Thai child so they would know your son was Thai etc. anyone file a 90 day/TM30 at old address? etc

18 hours ago, BusyB said:

Oh believe me I appreciate that some of us will feel the squeeze to the pips and maybe even HAVE to leave if Big Hakparn gets his way. I was just putting my position forward. In reality he'd be foolish to drive any of us out as long as we're law abiding and supportive of our Thai communities.

Cambodia is a good alternative, no way would I go back to the UK, after more than a 50 year absence it is a foreign country as far as I'm concerned. I think however the worry is blown out of all proportion, I can remember the last changes to the regulations......and here we all are, worrying again.

1 minute ago, mokwit said:

Did you have the "has Thai child" visa? - it would only apply to a Thai child so they would know your son was Thai etc. anyone file a 90 day/TM30 at old address? etc

No, just a normal retirement visa. At my old address I had a marriage visa. When my son was born I had to legalize our father/son relationship at a court of law so perhaps that's how immigration got the details.

1 hour ago, soalbundy said:

No, just a normal retirement visa. At my old address I had a marriage visa. When my son was born I had to legalize our father/son relationship at a court of law so perhaps that's how immigration got the details.

Get him British citizenship if he is young, probably below 18 makes it easy. 

13 hours ago, JensenZ said:

There's a nice calculator for this:

1,240,000 baht in 2023 is equivalent to 800,000 baht in 2003.

Inflation calculator

image.png.07cc71bfb28b56bc5539b546dc5d612f.png

Inflation is not the right measure. 

The right measure is "how many times richer than a Thai is the foreigner we let in?"

20 years ago, a security guard made 4500. A sales girl 5000 (and Thais went to work in factories in Taiwan for 15000).

65000 was 13 times more,  a farang who got 65000 was wealthy enough to be let into Thailand. 

Today, a salesgirl at Platinum gets 20000. Factory workers 20000, can be even more with OT.

The Thai middle class has grown a lot, and even if their salary is often less than 65000, their lifestyle is not showing this (my physical therapist,  under 30, went on a weekend trip to Taiwan).

65000 is still quite good here, but is it wealthy enough to let them in?

20000 x 13 = 260000 = 8000$ monthly.  If you have this,  Thailand has several visa options for you.

Edited by Lorry
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Get him British citizenship if he is young, probably below 18 makes it easy. 

No, even I'm not keen on being British, here he has extended family, farmland, two houses and will be studying (16 yrs old) What would he have in the UK.....nothing and another citizenship could be a disadvantage in the future. I would have considered it but for Brexit. If we were still in the EU he could have chosen to live in any European country without hassle. 

2 hours ago, soalbundy said:

Cambodia is a good alternative, no way would I go back to the UK, after more than a 50 year absence it is a foreign country as far as I'm concerned. I think however the worry is blown out of all proportion, I can remember the last changes to the regulations......and here we all are, worrying again.

I've said many times I'd rather end my life in a fisher's hut on the Tonle Sap than go back to the UK. I'd have less of a culture clash ????

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

No, even I'm not keen on being British, here he has extended family, farmland, two houses and will be studying (16 yrs old) What would he have in the UK.....nothing and another citizenship could be a disadvantage in the future. I would have considered it but for Brexit. If we were still in the EU he could have chosen to live in any European country without hassle. 

Sent you a private message. 

5 hours ago, Lorry said:

Inflation is not the right measure. 

The right measure is "how many times richer than a Thai is the foreigner we let in?"

20 years ago, a security guard made 4500. A sales girl 5000 (and Thais went to work in factories in Taiwan for 15000).

65000 was 13 times more,  a farang who got 65000 was wealthy enough to be let into Thailand. 

Today, a salesgirl at Platinum gets 20000. Factory workers 20000, can be even more with OT.

The Thai middle class has grown a lot, and even if their salary is often less than 65000, their lifestyle is not showing this (my physical therapist,  under 30, went on a weekend trip to Taiwan).

65000 is still quite good here, but is it wealthy enough to let them in?

20000 x 13 = 260000 = 8000$ monthly.  If you have this,  Thailand has several visa options for you.

No, it's the purhasing power of the money that counts. It's a simple calculation.

13 hours ago, toho said:

Deputy National Police Chief Pol Gen Surachate Hakparn stated that the gang members tend to favor Thailand due to the lack of strict law enforcement and corrupt officials.

So I would like to suggest him: start there and first clean up your own house.

And the agents who offer "special services", working together with Immigration officials.

Hear Hear !

And the truth is if they cleaned up their own house the other so called foreigner problem would be resolved thru that action.

But if instead they just hammer foreigners visa requirements but do nothing about the lawlessness or law for hire bypass routes nothing will ever change

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JensenZ said:

No, it's the purhasing power of the money that counts. It's a simple calculation.

20 years ago a baht bus in Pattaya was 10 baht, today its still 10 baht....So there has been no inflation in Thailand....

20 years ago I was paying around 50 baht for a beer in a cheap bar on soi Bukow today I am still paying around 50 baht...So there has been no inflation in Thailand....

The iced coffee cart near my condo charged 20 baht , 20 years ago but now has gotten greedy and charges 25 baht so a little inflation there...

Edited by redwood1

I have been here for 17 years, although I'm married I never used that for my Visa just the 65,000 Baht a month income. If they changed it by too much I would have to consider relocating. My wife's family would be unhappy though because of the money I  give them every month. I must admit if I didn't support them I could live a much better life style.

1 hour ago, redwood1 said:

20 years ago a baht bus in Pattaya was 10 baht, today its still 10 baht....So there has been no inflation in Thailand....

20 years ago I was paying around 50 baht for a beer in a cheap bar on soi Bukow today I am still paying around 50 baht...So there has been no inflation in Thailand....

The iced coffee cart near my condo charged 20 baht , 20 years ago but now has gotten greedy and charges 25 baht so a little inflation there...

I don't buy coffees or beers in Soi Buakhao, but everywhere I shop and restaurants I frequent inflation has been evident for the whole time I've lived here, which is now 17 years. The Buakhao businesses you frequent have merely eaten the inflation to offer the same prices - they took a pay cut to be more competitive. They prefer to have some business than go out of business.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2023 at 10:27 AM, Karma80 said:

Incidentially you ca download the form, email it, pay the fee and they send it back internationally. Takes about 2-3 weeks in my experience. There is no need to attend in person UK side. But good luck if you have for example resided in Hong Kong and need one from there also. You must go get fingerprinted at Bangkok police HQ so you can send the application to Hong Kong. A complete nightmare.

If you think Hong Kong would be a nightmare, Singapore would be worse as they only issues them to Citizens & PRs .

I'd be royally screwed if Thailand insisted on a Police Report for the 12 years prior to retiring to Thailand that I spent working there!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

I'd be royally screwed if Thailand insisted on a Police Report for the 12 years prior to retiring to Thailand that I spent working there!

This is what I mean by people falling through the cracks and not being able to comply with any new requirements. Those saying the authorities should tighten up should be careful what they wish for - it might came back and bite them on the rear. They might not be able to prove no criminal record and have to leave while the criminals bask in the Thai sun having used the usual channels.

Edited by mokwit
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I ran this report when as a test when all the extension rules were in flux. FDLE is Florida Department of Law Enforcement:

Tran ID: nnnnnnnn
Name: xxxxx
Maiden Name/Alias:
Maiden Name/Alias 2:
SSN: XXX-XX-nnnn
DOB: nn/nn/nnnn
Race: W
Sex: M

Search conducted: 10/26/2018 05:49:34 AM

BASED ON THE INFORMATION PROVIDED, THE CUSTOMER DETERMINED THAT NONE OF THE SEARCH RESULTS APPEAR TO BE THE INDIVIDUAL SOUGHT BY THE INQUIRY; THEREFORE NO RELEVANT CRIMINAL RECORDS WERE SELECTED.

Note: They gave 5 records of names similar to mine who did have criminal records.

4 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Those are exceptions inflation is about 10%: Suppose 10 years ago something was 500 baht, now 1500. The compound interest formula applies. With logs and algebra this is shown IMG20230807071433.thumb.jpg.24c4e8d990069d5c0a8704523fc11ad3.jpg

5 hours ago, redwood1 said:

You need to get out more. Outside your little world prices are increasing.  Som Tam has increased. Prices that were stable have started to rise aggressively.  Some things like healthcare have steadily increased.

Edited by mokwit

In other news we have another murder of a foreigner by another foreigner.

No doubt Hapkarn will be checking out what visa the chef was on - it seems chef in Spain not here (at least not officially) so time to rein in VE/VOA and TR. These are "too easy" requiring as little as Bt20,000 and a return ticket - no checks, no nothing.

If the chef was on a WP then obviously need to bring in stricter requirements there.

• Thanks 1

On 8/5/2023 at 12:22 AM, Jingthing said:

then surely their very first target would be these agents and the people that use them where people everyday are getting extensions showing NO MONEY.

I believe people who are paying agents are doing great service to agents, their staff, and IOs, their families, etc. etc. I don't believe people who are paying agents are financially desperate. The prefer to invest their money where they could many more times than paying agents. It also helps IOs who are not fortunate enough to earn in dollars when dollar earners are desperate to live in his country. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

I believe people who are paying agents are doing great service to agents, their staff, and IOs, their families, etc. etc. I don't believe people who are paying agents are financially desperate. The prefer to invest their money where they could many more times than paying agents. It also helps IOs who are not fortunate enough to earn in dollars when dollar earners are desperate to live in his country. 

The real criminals in the minds of some I am sure,are the farangs that DO NOT use agents.....Because these deadbeats are not feeding anyone on visa food chain....Countless posts have been made here about how nasty problems disappear  when agents are used..

• Like 1
  • Sad 1