How can I get a Thai Credit card or do I need it?

I uses my US issued CC that gives me 100% fraud protection and at least 2% cash back. However, when I am in Thailand, I cannot use it for AliExpress. It says card is not accepted. Has somebody used AliExpress with US credit cards or Thai credit cards?

My next question is how do I get a Thai credit card?

One of the problems with most US credit cards is that they add on a 1 - 2.5% foreign transaction fee for purchases.  If you search you can find card issuers who don't add those fees.

Go to your bank, if you have one, They typically do a secured credit card where you maintain a balance in the account to offset the credit card limit. No bank and the chances are very slim to none you can get one. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

One of the problems with most US credit cards is that they add on a 1 - 2.5% foreign transaction fee for purchases.  If you search you can find card issuers who don't add those fees.

I have a dozen cards that don't charge any foreign transaction fees. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, FaltuMora said:

I uses my US issued CC that gives me 100% fraud protection and at least 2% cash back. However, when I am in Thailand, I cannot use it for AliExpress. It says card is not accepted. Has somebody used AliExpress with US credit cards or Thai credit cards?

I use my Thai CC's on Aliexpress.

I applied to my bank(s) for mine.... they wanted 6 months of salary slips, copy of passport main page, Copy of extension stamp page, copy of work permit.

• Like 2

Im 70 years old and have never had a credit card.  I use an Australian debit card and a local debit card.  Have never needed a credit card as I only spend my own money.  You may have to contact your Thai bank to advise you want to use your debit card for international transactions such as Aliexppress b4 it will work.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1.  AliExpress - do you even need?  I stopped using years ago when same items became available on Lazada at reasonable price (at first they were higher).

2.  Able to us US debit cards on Lazada.

3.  As pointed out above most Thai debit cards can be used if set up for such - credit cards much harder to obtain unless working here.

I have a AAVANTAGE AVIATOR CARD

from Barclays usa !

No foreign transaction fees and i use it on AliExpress as well!

Ive accumulated enough mile points to fly round trip to the states from here several times over a 10 years span.

I keep a residential address in the states for this and other cards otherwise barclays would disqualify me for using the card

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

How do you pay the guarantee deposits at hotels or car rentals with a debit card?

In the past, yes, what they require now, TBH, I haven't a clue.  If needed, get one, but use only IF required.   Never carry a balance or pay interest.  It's a fool's game, wasted funds, bank wins.

I use to have a bunch, CC & unsecured lines of credit, but, used for investing only, or emergency.  Last time I rented a car, probably 2000/2001, and debit card was fine.  Same with hotels currently and online purchases, though I usually go COD or cash when arriving at hotel. 

If any vendor requires a CC, I'd simply use a different vendor.  

If it's common place now to require a CC, I'd have one, for convenience, but as stated, only use when required.

People get caught up with that revolving credit, and forget... 

... "the man in the suit has just bought a new car on profit he made on your dreams" - Traffic/Steve Winwood/Jim Capaldi (Low Spark of High Heeled Boys)

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Why would anyone need a Thai CC, or any CC for that matter.  I haven't had one for over 30 yrs.

People paying monthly for unsecured credit is a banker's dream.   If it doesn't appreciate, you should be paying cash.  If you can't pay cash, you can't afford to buy it.

Economics 101 ... you don't borrow money to buy crap that depreciates.

Debit card fills the need for any CC, or has in the past 30+ years.  CC is only good for emergencies, if you don't have an oops fund.

My two CC's (K Bank & BKK Bank) are 45 days interest free.

Much better than carrying cash and they zero out end of the month when my Salary is paid.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

Why exactly?  Have had not issues in my lifetime carrying and using cash and normally get a discount for using cash rather than cards.

Nothing unusual for me to spend a coupla hundred k a week.

Much better/safer to use the plastic than to carry fat stacks.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Nothing unusual for me to spend a coupla hundred k a week.

Much better/safer to use the plastic than to carry fat stacks.

Guess it depends on how high you roll when out and about.  ????

5 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

I have a dozen cards that don't charge any foreign transaction fees. 

That's nice isn't it ?

What about the foreign exchange rate your CCs offer on these transactions.. :whistling:

5 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Why would anyone need a Thai CC, or any CC for that matter.  I haven't had one for over 30 yrs.

People paying monthly for unsecured credit is a banker's dream.   If it doesn't appreciate, you should be paying cash.  If you can't pay cash, you can't afford to buy it.

Economics 101 ... you don't borrow money to buy crap that depreciates.

Debit card fills the need for any CC, or has in the past 30+ years.  CC is only good for emergencies, if you don't have an oops fund.

I cannot disagree with your overall sentiments, however, "if" someone is capable of responsibly handling a credit card then there are benefits to be had.

I've accumulated a nice pile of air miles on mine via both personal and work related use. There has also been times where it's been very helpful to see me through a cashflow squeeze. 

16 hours ago, FaltuMora said:

I've never bothered with the Thai bank CC route, although, as others mentioned, it is available.

Early doors I used AMEX but the credit limit was poor and acceptance was an issue in many places with the higher AMEX charges.

Eventually I ended up with Citibank who have always been good to deal with :

- Generous limit.

- Good customer support in English language.

- Full no quibbles refund when my card was skimmed and used illegally.

Can't remember the Citibank application process in detail, which is probably a sign it was reasonably straightforward if you are with a WP & visa.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

Yes, you can get a secured credit card from a Thai bank.  Kasikorn offered me a credit card with a 50K baht limit, if I paid in a 100K security deposit.

As it was explained to me, the security deposit does not earn interest, nor is it used to pay the accrued balance.  The charges are separate and incur a 28% interest fee.

What's not to like?

28% on a secured CC is a bit cheeky.... Considering it is 18% with an unsecured CC.

1 minute ago, Ralf001 said:

28% on a secured CC is a bit cheeky.... Considering it is 18% with an unsecured CC.

Have Thai banks reduced their rates?  This was several years ago, and at that time my wife was paying 28% on her cards.  (Just before we closed all her accounts.)

Just now, NoDisplayName said:

Have Thai banks reduced their rates?  This was several years ago, and at that time my wife was paying 28% on her cards.  (Just before we closed all her accounts.)

My Kbank CC has been at 18% for many years.

5 hours ago, riclag said:

I have a AAVANTAGE AVIATOR CARD

from Barclays usa !

No foreign transaction fees and i use it on AliExpress as well!

Ive accumulated enough mile points to fly round trip to the states from here several times over a 10 years span.

I keep a residential address in the states for this and other cards otherwise barclays would disqualify me for using the card

Just the information the OP needs in his quest for a Thai credit card.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

I don't pay guarantee deposits at hotels, book through Agoda. Don't need a rental car have my own.

I wasn't asking you specifically as I didn't know you have a car ????

I have a car also but I don't take it with me overseas and the last time I checked in a hotel overseas and rented a car from the airport to get there I needed a deposit for each for any damages or over use of the hotel mini bar etc. So a credit helped as a debit card could have no balance on it and won't be accepted and carrying cash is dangerous.

Agree as stated above the interest fees are extreme on credit cards so I always pay it off as soon as.