Australia visa for US / Thai couple

I am USA citizen, my Thai citizen wife and I want to visit my friend in Australia for a few weeks. Looking for advice on how to get our Australia visas. I created an account at https://online.immi.gov.au . I think I should next create a "group" for us, then create both of our applications. "Visitor visa (subclass 600) Tourist stream (apply outside Australia)" ref https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/visitor-600/tourist-stream-overseas#HowTo within that group. Any advice, insights, tips? Thank you.

The application system is quite simple just follow through the questions as a group because that is ow you are traveling and do not try and dodge any questions or you could get flagged and that can be uncomfortable.

You no prob, but good luck with the Thai wife getting that visa. Australia is more jacked about Thais than most other countries. More jacked about everything really. Remember their Covidiocy policies Wouldn't even permit their own citizens entry????

Do let us know the outcome. 

• 3 weeks later...

It was quite difficult and a lot of work. As US citizen I'm eligible for e-600 type visa and apply for that with an app, as I understand. But my Thai citizen wife is only eligible for regular 600 (tourist) visitor class visa. So I applied for that visa type for both her and me.

First I created a group, each application referencing the other and both referencing the group. Each application was many pages to fill out, online. Possible to save current state at any point.

I only needed to provide Supporting Evidence Document of a photo of my passport. But my Thai wife was required and "recommended" to provide many  documents, passport, ID card, proof of support, proof of marriage, previous name changes, etc. I didn't provide the requested "Non-accompanying members of the family unit" because digging deeper finds "If you are applying for a temporary visa ... may not be relevant to you". Despite the warning that not providing "recommended" documents might result in denial.

One *required* document for her was "Evidence of previous travel" (e.g. visa pages from passport), despite I answered "no" to question about previous travel outside Thailand (for over 90 days). Fortunately we did visit Bali for a few weeks a while ago, so I was able to provide that.

Finally I was able to submit our applications. Mine was approved almost immediately. Hers was pending for a while, then another requirement was added: "Biometric Screening". There are only two such authorized facilities to do that in Thailand, one in Bangkok, the other in Chiang Mai. So I had to make and pay for an appointment, and fly her there and back (same day). The actual screening was pretty quick, just take a picture and fingerprints. These two centers also offer agent services for Thai visa applicants. Which could be useful for Thai people, to help navigate the requirements.

Then the status changed to "This application requires additional supporting documentation. Please check correspondence and attach the requested documents." But there was no further correspondence. After waiting a few days I poked around some more and eventually found a dialog box "I confirm I have provided information as requested", which turned out to be clickable, after clicking it status changed to pending again.

A few days later her status finally changed to granted. A long and arduous and expensive process. The visas were ~AUD200 each, the Biometric Screening was ~฿800, and two air flights (to and from Biometric Screening Center) another ~$120.

Our visas are good for one year from grant date, with maximum of 3 month stay after each arrival. Though we will probably only visit once, for a few weeks. We will visit my buddy and his family there.

• Thumbs Up 2