What should I do if I no longer find my wife attractive?

bob smith

People should or shouldn't have children at any age. What makes a parent isn't starting young or old. It's being able to raise that child as long as you're alive, until they leave the house, with love, patience and discipline. I'm 67 in 2 weeks, and have a daughter that's almost 7. I'm very healthy and strong for my age, and have already raised 4 more, mostly myself, that are adults now. Of course I hope to live to see her out and independent, but there's no guarantees. Not at any ages. Many people have children still young and don't take the time to raise them, but leave them with relatives and rarely see them. All depends on the person.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

People should or shouldn't have children at any age. What makes a parent isn't starting young or old. It's being able to raise that child as long as you're alive, until they leave the house, with love, patience and discipline. I'm 67 in 2 weeks, and have a daughter that's almost 7. I'm very healthy and strong for my age, and have already raised 4 more, mostly myself, that are adults now. Of course I hope to live to see her out and independent, but there's no guarantees. Not at any ages. Many people have children still young and don't take the time to raise them, but leave them with relatives and rarely see them. All depends on the person.

As I said, some guys have kids at my age & much older & good luck to them, but it's just not for me.   I'm sure your daughter adds to your enjoyment of life in ways that I can only imagine BUT the fact that I don't want kids at my age doesn't mean that I can't/don't have a meaningful relationship with my partner (For starters what about Gay couples? are they excluded from having meaningful relationships?) - Which was the point of the post I was replying to.  

I'm probably thinking too much with my Western brain as I know it's much more "Normal"/Acceptable in Thailand, but having a father who's old enough to be your great grandfather would single the kid out in the UK & you know how cruel other kids can be. And obviously the other major consideration is the risk in the child having some kind of medical problem dramatically increases with the age of the Father. 

I don't think too many guys plan on having children when they come here to retire but if it happens then I would hope they would adjust their life/plans to give the child a loving home (And I would do exactly the same if my partner got pregnant).

This subject has been on my mind a lot recently as my best mate (of 40+ years) Thai Girlfriend is due to have a baby in the next 10 days which might cause my GF to become broody & could lead to issues in our relationship, but I'm pretty adamant that I want to be free to travel for at least the next 10 years so I don't want anything that is going to tie me down (I don't even want a cat & I really love cats ????) - Selfish I know but it's my life/retirement so as long as I'm not hurting anybody (GF included) I should get to live it how I want to. 

To Each His Own...  

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Mike Teavee said:

As I said, some guys have kids at my age & much older & good luck to them, but it's just not for me.   I'm sure your daughter adds to your enjoyment of life in ways that I can only imagine BUT the fact that I don't want kids at my age doesn't mean that I can't/don't have a meaningful relationship with my partner (For starters what about Gay couples? are they excluded from having meaningful relationships?) - Which was the point of the post I was replying to.  

I'm probably thinking too much with my Western brain as I know it's much more "Normal"/Acceptable in Thailand, but having a father who's old enough to be your great grandfather would single the kid out in the UK & you know how cruel other kids can be. And obviously the other major consideration is the risk in the child having some kind of medical problem dramatically increases with the age of the Father. 

I don't think too many guys plan on having children when they come here to retire but if it happens then I would hope they would adjust their life/plans to give the child a loving home (And I would do exactly the same if my partner got pregnant).

This subject has been on my mind a lot recently as my best mate (of 40+ years) Thai Girlfriend is due to have a baby in the next 10 days which might cause my GF to become broody & could lead to issues in our relationship, but I'm pretty adamant that I want to be free to travel for at least the next 10 years so I don't want anything that is going to tie me down (I don't even want a cat & I really love cats ????) - Selfish I know but it's my life/retirement so as long as I'm not hurting anybody (GF included) I should get to live it how I want to. 

To Each His Own...  

Traveling has always been something I want to do, and Europe is on my bucket list, along with Vietnam, Australia (To catch a marlin),back to Canada hunting and fishing and more. It will be harder now, though not impossible, but she comes first.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

You should stick with her. Simple. She puts a bit of weight on and you don't find her attractive any more, so you think you'll dump her. I hope she takes you for every penny you've got and more besides.......and take a look in the mirror Steptoe, you might not be the Brad Pitt you think you are.. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Interesting thread.

None of us have the body we did 20, 30 years ago, thats just life.

If you married her just for the body well sorry you're going to be disappointed down the road.

Its a rather shallow relationship if as the looks fade you want to dump her. 

I'm actually slimmer at 67 than I was at age 30.

I find it hard to keep my weight up to 75Kg.

I have to force myself to eat more than I want.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, LaosLover said:

The heart wants what the heart wants. Bob's done the math and is eyeing the exits. Fair enough.

Well you could well be right there.

But Bob should also take a hard look at himself in the mirror!

He better hope his wallet can make up for his own aging, once again pretty shallow

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/13/2023 at 1:49 AM, GinBoy2 said:

Well you could well be right there.

But Bob should also take a hard look at himself in the mirror!

He better hope his wallet can make up for his own aging, once again pretty shallow

It's not cheating if she has the same junk as you. 

• Haha 1