Food Hygeine

KannikaP

24 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

When I did my Basic Food Hygiene course several years back, I was taught not to keep cooked food at room temperature, over 20C, but to put it in the fridge when it had cooled. And when re-heating to make sure it was well hot all the way through.

Here, my Mrs leaves dishes of food, hotdogs etc out on the kitchen table for over 24 hours, and rice, which is very susceptible to a dangerous bacteria, is re-warmed a few times over in the rice cooker.

Why do they never get food poisoning?

It seems it depends on the food.

We have a (expensive) computer rice cooker. Once the rice is cooked a timer shows how long ago it was finished and the rice is kept on (eating) temperature. Only after 24h is the timer blinking that you should not eat the rice anymore. 23h is still fine. And the rice still tastes good.

There is lots of food which I would never reheat. But Thai curry (gang xyz) is something that can be reheated several times and it still tastes good. Maybe it tastes even better a few hours later.

When we have something like that for lunch and we don't eat it again in the evening then mf gf cooks it for a minute in the evening and then again in the morning and it is ready to eat. It still tastes very good.

I never eat food which I don't like, and I wouldn't eat any of this if I would think it is not good anymore of if it doesn't taste good anymore. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The use of chili and garlic in Thai food is widespread, they are both very effective bactericides.

Perhaps you need to train your mrs better. My GF would never reheat food for me, she does everything fresh.

Did YOU train her?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Lucky Bones said:

Good question.

Yeah, I used to fridge everything but the village family just dragged it all out again. Wifey would give me the "stupid falang" look and put a cover over the food.

I gave up eventually.

I join them now in leaving "most" foods out & haven't had a dose of food poison for as long as my ever diminishing memory recalls.

Guessing our bods just acclimatise?

Are you suggesting that you don't do similar to the wife now, or that you get crook at times?????????

No, never get ill, but tend to put stuff in the fridge, and heat it back up properly. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It seems it depends on the food.

We have a (expensive) computer rice cooker. Once the rice is cooked a timer shows how long ago it was finished and the rice is kept on (eating) temperature. Only after 24h is the timer blinking that you should not eat the rice anymore. 23h is still fine. And the rice still tastes good.

There is lots of food which I would never reheat. But Thai curry (gang xyz) is something that can be reheated several times and it still tastes good. Maybe it tastes even better a few hours later.

When we have something like that for lunch and we don't eat it again in the evening then mf gf cooks it for a minute in the evening and then again in the morning and it is ready to eat. It still tastes very good.

I never eat food which I don't like, and I wouldn't eat any of this if I would think it is not good anymore of if it doesn't taste good anymore. 

That rice cooker sounds like it is modelled on Thai traffic lights.

When light starts flashing (23 hours+ 59) ignore warning sign.

When light (@24 hours?) stays red, simply disregard and continue on.

So yes, totally agree with you. Some foods do, some foods dont.????????

2 minutes ago, scorecard said:

I went to India several times for consulting work, got severe diarrhea every time. and all meals at the 5 star hotel dining room or at the executive dining room at the client HQs.

My consulting company had prepared packs of several diarrhea and other medicines, incl. water purification tablets, a pack was given to all staff going to India.  

My western colleague from our Singapore office also get severe diarrhea every time. On one occasion he spoke to the guest relations lady at the 5 star hotel. She instantly insisted that the hotel kitchen and food prep. was hygienic to world standards, then got angry syaing she was insulted.

After that we took lots of canned food, big variety and can opener and ate in our rooms direct from cans.

Not the best way to eat and no hot food but it solved the diarrhea problem.  

As Brian said to the gathered throng in the Life of Brian;

"You are all Individuals."

Response together of;

"Yes. We are all Individuals."

I have a mate who sits on the ugly chair for 3 days if there was a hidden chile in his tucker.

Luckily I have no problems.

It is also quite possible that your hotel was dodgy.

50 cents each way.????????

6 minutes ago, Lucky Bones said:

As Brian said to the gathered throng in the Life of Brian;

"You are all Individuals."

Response together of;

"Yes. We are all Individuals."

I have a mate who sits on the ugly chair for 3 days if there was a hidden chile in his tucker.

Luckily I have no problems.

It is also quite possible that your hotel was dodgy.

50 cents each way.????????

One 5 star hotel we used in New delhi was dodgy, plates waiting for diners to use weren't clean neither was the cutlery.  We often found pieces of wood, wire or plastic in the dishes and a couple of times dead cockroaches. 

Mention anything to the waiter and no comment.

We avoided any type of salad bar or buffet, always covered in flies. Again mention this to the staff and they would wave their arms around then walk away. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Did YOU train her?

I believe so, she would never serve me cold food. She knows I detest it.

I can't say I trained her to prepare everything fresh, IMO that's just what she does.

• Thumbs Up 2

17 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:
31 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

That's weird, sounds foreign to me browsing this leisurely, albeit from a height.   I'll seize this opportunity to get a caffeine fix for myself and the old heifer (the wife).   

Hope this doesn't result in the forfeiture of any posting rights!

Expand  

I was taught, 'i' before 'e' except after 'c'... but that's not always true

No kidding?  That's weird.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Not to mention in restaurants where one never know whats going on behind the scenes or how long the food is out or even if the food handler has washed his hands after taking his big D... ?  However our bodies or metabolisms,  can tend to be stronger then we think but I still would not provoke the devil mainly when abroad and always remember the magic mantra when travelling...

"if you can't peel it, cook it or boil it....forget it"......with this, small chances in having to spend the rest of the stay on the loo.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, KannikaP said:

No, never get ill, but tend to put stuff in the fridge, and heat it back up properly. 

Well this topic isnt very good. I expected better.

Anyway it depends on the food and gut strength gets built up over time.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

You also may have noticed flies don't go on food here, street food vendors don't have a fly problem, i think there's some deal going on

The food is so bad flies wont eat it. Maybe its the chillies.

1 hour ago, dingdongrb said:

Gawd...I don't need the "'i' before 'e'" rule explaining.   

From my post that you commented on...

"That's weird, sounds foreign to me browsing this leisurely, albeit from a height.   I'll seize this opportunity to get a caffeine fix for myself and the old heifer (the wife)". 

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

44 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"That's weird, sounds foreign to me browsing this leisurely, albeit from a height.   I'll seize this opportunity to get a caffeine fix for myself and the old heifer (the wife)". 

Duhhhhhhh, but you asked!  "No Kidding?"

If you didn't want it then refrain from asking.......simple

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No kidding?  That's weird.  

Lou. Yes, agreed. I was taught..... "i before c" ,except.....blah blah.

Over the years I learned that it was not always true.

I reckon bignok could start tomorrow with a "i before c, except after c" thread

All in favour for bigbird to start the thread....sa Aye!.????????????

4 hours ago, scorecard said:

I went to India several times for consulting work, got severe diarrhea every time. and all meals at the 5 star hotel dining room or at the executive dining room at the client HQs.

My consulting company had prepared packs of several diarrhea and other medicines, incl. water purification tablets, a pack was given to all staff going to India.  

My western colleague from our Singapore office also get severe diarrhea every time. On one occasion he spoke to the guest relations lady at the 5 star hotel. She instantly insisted that the hotel kitchen and food prep. was hygienic to world standards, then got angry syaing she was insulted.

After that we took lots of canned food, big variety and can opener and ate in our rooms direct from cans.

Not the best way to eat and no hot food but it solved the diarrhea problem.  

I wortked in Nigeria on an oil production platform, with occasional stints onshore, just at the end of the Biafran war, and food was very scarce and often we didnt know what we were eating, apart from seeing the weevils baked into the bread!

On the rare occasions that we had meat, none of us could identify what exactly it was, although someone suggested it could be human flesh as over a million people died in that SE State!!!! 

Whatever the food was, despite the lack of hygene, I never once got the runs!! Nor do I here.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Does this help?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1