7/11 credit card: 200 bahts minimum since August 10 (2023) ?

anotherfarangishere

Hello,

I wanted to post in Thailand news but no "New topic" button for me...

Well, anyway it happened in Bangkok: today, 10 August 2023, when I tried to pay with my Mastercard for 110 bahts to the 7/11 where I'm purchasing food since one week, it was refused. They explained me, since today, there is a 200 bahts minimum purchase to pay with credit card.

Am I the only one/is it linked to this specific 7/11 or is it a "new rule" for all 7/11 in Thailand ?

Thank you!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, anotherfarangishere said:

Am I the only one/is it linked to this specific 7/11 or is it a "new rule" for all 7/11 in Thailand ?

Seems to become common at smaller shops.

I was quoted (at another small shop, not 7-Eleven) a 'minimum of 300 baht'. Perhaps due to fees? 

Edited by StayinThailand2much

I think the idea is to push TrueWallet which the parent company also own or have a big share in I believe,

I've linked my credit card to that after learning about this limit, and been paying with that recently.  There's no other option for foreigners beyond truewallet other than cash for less than 200? 

However today the till woman paused as on the true barcode scan screen it says the source of funds is "Credit/Debit", she asked someone else and they said ok, surely its counts as TrueWallet and the source of funds isn't their business? See what tomorrow brings

Edited by circa02

18 minutes ago, anotherfarangishere said:

Hello,

Well, anyway it happened in Bangkok: today, 10 August 2023, when I tried to pay with my Mastercard for 110 bahts to the 7/11 where I'm purchasing food since one week, it was refused. They explained me, since today, there is a 200 bahts minimum purchase to pay with credit card.

Thank you!

I also do my food shopping at 7/11, and 110baht is usually my bill, unrelated trivia 2 big cans of singha at 7/11 is... :whistling:

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, anotherfarangishere said:

Hello,

Thank you!

This is good....

Will bring back ATM's.

• Confused 1

39 minutes ago, circa02 said:

I've linked my credit card to that after learning about this limit, and been paying with that recently.  There's no other option for foreigners beyond truewallet other than cash for less than 200? 

Maybe the Rabbit (BTS) card, as yet to try, but need to get the balance down, since rarely use it @ Krung Thep, and they want 100 baht top up to update it.

A post using a foreign language has been removed as it contravened the Community Standards:

3. English is the only permitted language anywhere on ASEAN NOW, except within the Thai language forum, where using Thai is allowed. Short Thai translations of technical terms are permitted in specialty forums. While we make allowances for members who do not speak English as their first language, we expect everyone to make an effort to post in a manner that allows others to understand their posts. As an international forum we have members from many countries in the world, and English is not the first language of every poster.

39 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Maybe the Rabbit (BTS) card, as yet to try, but need to get the balance down, since rarely use it @ Krung Thep, and they want 100 baht top up to update it.

You can use Rabbit card at the small Tesco Lotus express stores and the pink one MaxValue, even for beer, don't think you can at 7/11 though unless its hidden

Edited by circa02
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, metisdead said:

A post using a foreign language has been removed as it contravened the Community Standards:

3. English is the only permitted language anywhere on ASEAN NOW, except within the Thai language forum, where using Thai is allowed. Short Thai translations of technical terms are permitted in specialty forums. While we make allowances for members who do not speak English as their first language, we expect everyone to make an effort to post in a manner that allows others to understand their posts. As an international forum we have members from many countries in the world, and English is not the first language of every poster.

Euh... should be me as I can't see my last post... I must be tired, I didn't even realise that I didn't use English. Sorry...

• Like 1

Hello ???? 

I'm living in Phuket,  this happened to me too at 7/11 today, I was confused because I went there almost every day for a last 7 months and payed without any problems with purchase amount less then 200 baht, so I decided to check if all the 7/11 have this rule now on, and found you, so I guess it's relevant to all of them

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

2 thoughts ...

... CC company charges them too much, so not worth it for them, maybe a flat fee till certain amount spent.

... they're tired of holding up the line for such a small purchase, just pay with cash and be gone already ... hopefully

Why people always become critical of CC uses? Holding up the line? Common, it takes less time than cash. I'm not in Thailand now but I always paid by my US issues CC in 7/11. Will check out when I go  Thailand next month. If it's 200 baht minimum, still not bad. 

32 minutes ago, Renee15 said:

Hello ???? 

I'm living in Phuket,  this happened to me too at 7/11 today, I was confused because I went there almost every day for a last 7 months and payed without any problems with purchase amount less then 200 baht, so I decided to check if all the 7/11 have this rule now on, and found you, so I guess it's relevant to all of them

Well, bad news, but thank you very much for letting me know.

I didn't got this problem at 7/11 in Korea, Japan, Malaysia by the past. But maybe they have changed too... These countries have much different convenient stores, in Thailand 95% are 7/11 (but Lawson, which originated in US but is now Japanese, has opened some shops in Bangkok, still very few).

• Confused 1

I was informed by a friend who knew I have been paying with CC at 7-Ele.

Two bananas and a cup of yogurt usually did not add up to 200B.

SO last week I downloaded TrueMOney, signed up with my passport, was rejected the first time. They did not like it when I scanned my passport copy. Had to scan the original passport. Second attempt was accepted within 4 hours. Linked my thai bank CC, tested at a 7-Eleven.

NOw when I go out within Pattaya, I carry my phone and some cash, no CC, no ATM cards. Pay by QR code and cardless cash withdrawals if needed.

2 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

First thought ????

Second ????

Transactions with cards are much quicker than people fumbling for cash, passing it over, counting it and awaiting change, which usually isn't in the drawer so a further wait. Cards...just place/tap and DONE. 

I place, tap and done at my local massage shop! 

• Haha 1

When 7-11 first started accepting credit cards here a few years ago (only Visa initially, if I recall), they had a minimum of 200 or 300 baht for purchases by card. After a while they eliminated the minimum, putting them in line with places like Korea (where minimum purchase requirements are forbidden by law).

It's a pity if they've really reintroduced it - they'll save a bit of money, but cause a lot of bottlenecks at the registers in heavy tourist areas as people try to figure out how to pay.

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

First thought ????

Second ????

Transactions with cards are much quicker than people fumbling for cash, passing it over, counting it and awaiting change, which usually isn't in the drawer so a further wait. Cards...just place/tap and DONE. 

It doesn't really matter, the bottleneck with cash or card, is Somchai entering a 10 digit telephone number slowly on the numpad or worse communicating verbally, always takes at least two attempts, plus a reconfirm from the cashier, to collect 7/11 points for the 8 baht bottle of water...

Thais can make card transactions slow though, you would think authorization would be instant given locality, however it's not unusual for a Thai CC card to take in excess of 20 seconds to authorize, where a UK card take takes a second or so..  For extra pain watch how slow card Thai CC transactions are in Tesco Lotus, average auth time must exceed 30 seconds, I don't know exactly who's is at fault here, but I doubt it's Visa/Mastercard themselves. #1 for slow auth times.

Edited by circa02
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, anotherfarangishere said:

Very bad in my point of view. Especially as withdrawing cash at ATM is charged 280 baht in Thailand for foreign cards.

My visits to 7/11 is at least 100. If less than 200 baht, I  can buy 4 coconut water to make up the difference. So many consumable things are available to make up it upto 200. Not bad. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, khunjeff said:

When 7-11 first started accepting credit cards here a few years ago (only Visa initially, if I recall), they had a minimum of 200 or 300 baht for purchases by card. After a while they eliminated the minimum, putting them in line with places like Korea (where minimum purchase requirements are forbidden by law).

It's a pity if they've really reintroduced it - they'll save a bit of money, but cause a lot of bottlenecks at the registers in heavy tourist areas as people try to figure out how to pay.

I doubt it....MOST tourist are from countries where card / phone usage is common already. In my case I PREFER to use cash everywhere in Thailand because I don't really trust the Thai banking security.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, circa02 said:

It doesn't really matter, the bottleneck with cash or card, is Somchai entering a 10 digit telephone number slowly on the numpad or worse communicating verbally, always takes at least two attempts, plus a reconfirm from the cashier, to collect 7/11 points for the 8 baht bottle of water...

Thais can make card transactions slow though, you would think authorization would be instant given locality, however it's not unusual for a Thai CC card to take in excess of 20 seconds to authorize, where a UK card take takes a second or so..  For extra pain watch how slow card Thai CC transactions are in Tesco Lotus, average auth time must exceed 30 seconds, I don't know exactly who's is at fault here, but I doubt it's Visa/Mastercard themselves. #1 for slow auth times.

Gawd...

What advise for a prepaid debit card for users living abroad who visit thailand for a few months annually ?

A firm where one can send foreign currency, have it directly changed into THB and not have any other surprise expenses or issues when using the card like a credit card in THB when in Thailand ?

All advice appreciated. Thank you.

13 hours ago, Sigmund said:

What advise for a prepaid debit card for users living abroad who visit thailand for a few months annually ?

A firm where one can send foreign currency, have it directly changed into THB and not have any other surprise expenses or issues when using the card like a credit card in THB when in Thailand ?

All advice appreciated. Thank you.

Just get a Wise Card. You can open numerous currency balances.

Use their debit card.

Also use the service for transferring money to Thailand.

Use this link and get a fee-free transfer up to £500 (or equivalent in $, €, etc)

https://wise.com/invite/dic/juliani