Legionella discovery forces asylum seekers off Bibby Stockholm days after arrival

Social Media

1 hour ago, youreavinalaff said:

The evidence is there, in the media, every day.

I read the BBC website, the FT and the Times regularly. I also read articles from The Spectator and listen to podcasts from these organisations and the loons at Spiked! I can't claim to read every issue cover-to-cover, or listen with full attention to every podcast, but I don't recall anything being mentioned about countries such as France being unconcerned about the plight of refugees/ illegal immigrants.

If this 'news' is in the media every day then - as Chomper remarks - you shouldn't have any problem in supplying a few links to support your contention.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Oh dear. 

Why have so many people lost the ability to use critical thinking in their lives? I guess  it doesn’t work when the results are not what they want.

It really is a sad state of affairs.

Oh dear indeed.

The vast majority of the time when you are challenged about your premises, you are unable to defend them in any rational sense. Instead you resort to a selection from a) the challenger is bias b) the challenger's sources are bias c) your individual experience confirms your premise - no further justification necessary even if the weight of evidence suggests the opposite, and now (d) new entry, the challenger is unable to think critically.

It's ironic that you should bring up critical thinking, which involves objective analysis and judgement, when your observations are the exact opposite of that.

At least, we can agree on the conclusion, albeit we arrive at it by vastly different routes: It really is a sad state of affairs.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RayC said:

It's ironic that you should bring up critical thinking, which involves objective analysis and judgement, when your observations are the exact opposite of that.

It's ironic you go against your own ideas.

The figures are there for all to see. The amount of people turning up at the English coast compared to those who get taken in on their way across Europe. It's obvious to those even with a tiny bit of savvy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

The figures are there for all to see. The amount of people turning up at the English coast compared to those who get taken in on their way across Europe. It's obvious to those even with a tiny bit of savvy.

If Labour were in power, you wouldn't hear a peep out of a few on here...????

• Like 1

4 hours ago, transam said:

Happy, you are talking to the wrong bloke, ol' chap, besides, I know what real poverty is about from my early days, we didn't even have a phone in the house, very few homes did,  now everybody has one in their hand...............:clap2:

So let's keep things in perspective, chummy........????

My parent rented a bungalow in Poole from the 1930s until my Mum died in 1973. There was no electricity until I paid for it to be put in during 1964.

She never had or wanted a fridge or a TV set and when I was growing up the nearest phone was in the phone box about 500 metres away.

I used to get free school meals but so did many other kids at school, so there was no shame in it.

I suppose that we must have been poor and never realised it.

• Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

This is an excellent example of deflection.

I know that in all likelihood I will either get another cryptic reply or else a simple 'No', but care to point out where I have done so.

(Please spare me a 'if you know the answer, why ask?' type response).

44 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Then why don't you post a link to support your contention?

What is obvious to anyone with a tiny bit of savvy is that you make statements which you are unable to justify.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, billd766 said:

My parent rented a bungalow in Poole from the 1930s until my Mum died in 1973. There was no electricity until I paid for it to be put in during 1964.

She never had or wanted a fridge or a TV set and when I was growing up the nearest phone was in the phone box about 500 metres away.

I used to get free school meals but so did many other kids at school, so there was no shame in it.

I suppose that we must have been poor and never realised it.

Absolutely, folk cry poverty on here, but near everyone in the UK walks around with a smartphone, have home Curry's delivered, takeaway food is the order of the day, christ, we had to wait for Christmas to get a Mar's Bar, or a Tangerine, if we were lucky.....................????

• Like 1

Just now, RayC said:

You dusted off your crystal ball then, Trans?

Not yet, not yet, :stoner:, but it does get tiresome when the same clique come on these threads to turn it into a Tory bashing thingy, yes I know the Tory's are always in power, but the lefty's should just wait until their Labour is in then tell everyone how great their Party is...:whistling:

I think some of them think actual MPs are out on the streets sorting stuff.....????

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, transam said:

Not yet, not yet, :stoner:, but it does get tiresome when the same clique come on these threads to turn it into a Tory bashing thingy, yes I know the Tory's are always in power, but the lefty's should just wait until their Labour is in then tell everyone how great their Party is...:whistling:

I think some of them think actual MPs are out on the streets sorting stuff.....????

If Labour get into power, then they may not prove to be any more successful in dealing with problems than the Tories. That remains to be seen.

However, the Tories are the government in situ and imo it is right and proper that they are held accountable and responsible for their policies and actions.

What I find tiresome though is some posters deflecting criticism, and not addressing points raised directly, when challenged.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RayC said:

If Labour get into power, then they may not prove to be any more successful in dealing with problems than the Tories. That remains to be seen.

However, the Tories are the government in situ and imo it is right and proper that they are held accountable and responsible for their policies and actions.

What I find tiresome though is some posters deflecting criticism, and not addressing points raised directly, when challenged.

RR does that...................????

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

No need for personal attack.

All you have to do is back up claims you make.

You must be fun down the pub.

Person 1 : it rained really hard last night. I think there must have been 100mm of rain.

Chomper: have you got a link to that?

Person 2: it's really hot now though. It must be 40 degrees plus.

Chomper : have you got a link to that?

And so on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RayC said:

What is obvious to anyone with a tiny bit of savvy is that you make statements which you are unable to justify.

I haven't made any statements. I made a suggestion based on what I have read and digested.

If you disagree with my suggestion, fine.

No need to bang on about links. Do you have a link to prove my suggestion incorrect?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

You must be fun down the pub.

Person 1 : it rained really hard last night. I think there must have been 100mm of rain.

Chomper: have you got a link to that?

Person 2: it's really hot now though. It must be 40 degrees plus.

Chomper : have you got a link to that?

And so on.

This isn’t a pub, it’s a news discussion forum.

If you are going to make statements purporting to be facts you either provide a link to back them up or they are not substantiated.

Refer to top of the forum:

Any alleged factual claims must be supported by a valid link to an approved credible source.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

Oh dear. 

Why have so many people lost the ability to use critical thinking in their lives? I guess  it doesn’t work when the results are not what they want.

It really is a sad state of affairs.

The basis of critical thinking is the examination of information.

You make unsubstantiated statements and others make the critical observation that your claims are unsupported.

Rather than provide links to the media reports you claim exist you resort to personal attacks.

And now you bring up ‘critical thinking’.

Irony lives.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

I haven't made any statements. I made a suggestion based on what I have read and digested.

If you disagree with my suggestion, fine.

No need to bang on about links. Do you have a link to prove my suggestion incorrect?

You said this:

5 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

The evidence is there, in the media, every day.

Snd yet when asked for links to this so called ‘evidence’ duck, dive and slither.

Links to this evidence you say ‘is in the media, every day’, please.

Shouldn’t be too hard for you to provide that which you say exists.

9 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

This isn’t a pub, it’s a news discussion forum.

If you are going to make statements purporting to be facts you either provide a link to back them up or they are not substantiated.

Refer to top of the forum:

Any alleged factual claims must be supported by a valid link to an approved credible source.

It was a suggestion. Not a factual claim. Factual claims tend not to use tge word " seem".

It still remains a suggestion that no one has proved to be incorrect.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

It was a suggestion. Not a factual claim. Factual claims tend not to use tge word " seem".

It still remains a suggestion that no one has proved to be incorrect.

Your original post:

"I believe that is the point. Along with the other safe countries the immigrants travel through to get to UK.

Those countries don't seem to care about the immigrants plight."

which you then claimed is supported by articles in the media and is obvious to anyone with a bit of savvy. However, you are unable to supply any evidence to support this contention, but now instead suggest that the onus is on those who disagree with you to disprove it. This is akin to the argument that "I believe in God's existence. You need to prove that s/he/it doesn't exist".

The following link does not prove that illegal immigrants are treated well in France but it is evidence to support this contention and a counter-example to your suggestion.

https://help.unhcr.org/france/en/droits-et-obligations/#:~:text=You are entitled to basic,a decision on your application.

Edited by RayC
Addition
  • Thanks 1