Procedure For Obtaining A Death Certificate

shortstop2

Step 1 - die ???? 

Step 2 - if we are talking about a foreigner, then contact the local police who I believe will contact the respective embassy. If they don't then ask the Thai person to contact them direct. They MUST be informed AFAIK

Sorry if the answer is somewhat facetious but the question IS a bit vague.

Edited by nglodnig
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, shortstop2 said:

What is the procedure for obtaining a death certificate?   I'm specifically interested in what documentation a Thai in a long term but not married  relationship must provide.

This may be useful to show it is not necessarily easy to do - see especially @Sherylcomments towards the end although you do not say what country you are from -

https://aseannow.com/topic/1222568-death-certificate/

Your partner may need written permission from your next of kin which you could set up in advance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The official death certificate comes from the district office. This is after the police, in case of a foreigner, release the body, with our without autopsy. For inheritance issues a will is required and translations need to be provided. These need to be legalized and certified by Ministry of foreign affairs and the relevant embassy.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LukKrueng said:

If you die in a hospital, the hospital will issue the death certificate.

Even then some are sent for autopsy, and it is them who issue the death cert. it also has to be registered at the Amphur where you lived.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, jeddas said:

Have asked Britsh consulate (on line) process for allowing disposal of body for cremation. As usual-no reply. Consulate is useless.

As above and can not get the body released, until death registered with Amphur. Any funeral directors recommended by embassies are the best way to go IMO they take care of all that is required. Your GF will need a letter of attorney from your family sent to your embassy. Anyhow that is how it panned out when my mate died and I was the only one here to arrange everything, 'cept the cremation my wife took care of that  :jap:

• Thanks 1

As mentioned above, a last will is very important, as a girlfriend is not an heir without a will. You can also appoint your girlfriend as executor in the will. Even a simple document signed by two witnesses can serve as a valid last will; you can even sign it at the local amphor office and have it kept on file there.

(Source: "Thai Law for Foreigners", page 77-80.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When my British wife died here albeit a few years ago now, the hospital issued me with a document that I along with a Thai friend to help me to the district office where I was then given the official death certificate in the Thai language. As I needed an English translation I then took that document for translation. It was all very easy but I did have the help mainly for language problems of a Thai friend and I believe the cost was absolute minimal. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Back in 2021 my friend died in a Pattaya Hospital

I contacted his ex wife.

He had left a Will -covering is UK assets.

He had no Thai assets.

I visited the Pattaya hospital where he  had died. My mission was to obtain a death certificate.

However-because i was not family -the hospital could not help.

Pattaya has no facilities to store bodies.

So the body plus his passport were sent to Bangkok.

The passport ended up at the British Embassy.

The body was cremated.

Embassies cannot issue death certificates.

End of story.

I cannot see that death certificates can be issued to friends of the deceased.

If somebody has absolute evidence that my statement is incorrect-i would be pleased to hear

The only solution that will work for the OP is to legally  marry his girlfriend.

With that in place -all is simple and straight forward.

Edited by Delight
added detail
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, shortstop2 said:

I get that some will get their jollies by having fun with my questions.  That's OK.

In that case... Have the gf get a few poloroids standing over your decapitated body with a smoking gun and large knife. Make sure your passport is visible. ????:wai:

Edited by mrwebb8825

On 8/12/2023 at 10:16 PM, Kwaibill said:

Have to ask at Bkk bank to be sure she has access.

This is a very sticky issue and don't trust Bangkok Bangkok bank employees to give accurate information.  My deceased friends brother who is handling the estate has found it to be very complex and time consuming to have any access to his brother's BKB account.

The moment you die, your bank accounts become part of the estate and legally a deceased person's wife can not access the account, even if it is a joint account.    

My friends brother has to have power of attorney in Thailand which can only be approved by a Thai court.  he had to get notarized and legally translated statements from his other siblings renouncing any claim to the estate and he's still not done.  There was no will in Thailand and that has created huge issues.

• Thanks 1

On 8/12/2023 at 4:29 AM, nglodnig said:

Go to the bank and get your GF to be made beneficiary in the event of your death, on the production of a (Thai) death certificate.

I went to Bangkok Bank and specifically asked them to make my companion the beneficiary of my bank accounts with them, and they told me unequivocally that they could not do so. The branch manager told me that my assets on deposit with the bank would be distributed according to my last will and testament, and by no other means. I assume every other bank in Thailand has the same policy, so your statement, quoted above, is inaccurate. The original poster would be well advised to ignore it.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, acepredator said:

I went to Bangkok Bank and specifically asked them to make my companion the beneficiary of my bank accounts with them, and they told me unequivocally that they could not do so. The branch manager told me that my assets on deposit with the bank would be distributed according to my last will and testament, and by no other means. I assume every other bank in Thailand has the same policy, so your statement, quoted above, is inaccurate. The original poster would be well advised to ignore it.

You are correct, but the 'Will' still needs to go thru the court process before the bank will release funds.

The best way around this is to have joint accounts, with either/or signature.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

You are correct, but the 'Will' still needs to go thru the court process before the bank will release funds.

The best way around this is to have joint accounts, with either/or signature.

Yes, that's true. I have a joint savings account with my companion, but the fixed account with 800,000 for my retirement visa is, of course, in my name alone. This is the most valuable asset I have in my Thai will, of which my companion is the executor. I hope that the court process  you mentioned won't be too complicated or lengthy so that she can get access to my assets without any undue delay.

53 minutes ago, acepredator said:

Yes, that's true. I have a joint savings account with my companion, but the fixed account with 800,000 for my retirement visa is, of course, in my name alone. This is the most valuable asset I have in my Thai will, of which my companion is the executor. I hope that the court process  you mentioned won't be too complicated or lengthy so that she can get access to my assets without any undue delay.

I believe the time period is between 3-6 months, but that was a few years ago.

So possibly quicker these days, but will still take a long time.

• Thanks 1

On 8/12/2023 at 3:44 PM, khunPer said:

As mentioned above, a last will is very important, as a girlfriend is not an heir without a will. You can also appoint your girlfriend as executor in the will. Even a simple document signed by two witnesses can serve as a valid last will; you can even sign it at the local amphor office and have it kept on file there.

(Source: "Thai Law for Foreigners", page 77-80.)

Last year,  I created a new Thai will as I have a new bank account which wasn't listed in the old will.

The first lawyer had no interest in going to the amphur to have the will registered.  My girlfriend and I went and couldn't figure out how to do it.  It's a busy amphur; perhaps easier at others.  My new lawyer also said it wasn't necessary.   I got the impression from him that perhaps there was a downside to registering in case I subsequently create a new will that doesn't get registered.  at any rate, right now it is not registered.

I suppose that with the Thai will she can get death certificates that my USA brokerage account will accept where she is named as a beneficiary. 

Thanks for all the responses so far!   ????

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, shortstop2 said:

The first lawyer had no interest in going to the amphur to have the will registered.  My girlfriend and I went and couldn't figure out how to do it.  It's a busy amphur; perhaps easier at others.  My new lawyer also said it wasn't necessary.   I got the impression from him that perhaps there was a downside to registering in case I subsequently create a new will that doesn't get registered.  at any rate, right now it is not registered.

Yes, it's not necessary to have it registered.

The important issue is that when you – and I – is not here anymore, somebody knows that there is a last will and can find it.

1 hour ago, shortstop2 said:

I suppose that with the Thai will she can get death certificates that my USA brokerage account will accept where she is named as a beneficiary.

That might be one of the reasons for the advice to make two wills, one for Thailand and one for one's home-country.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1