How Thai people will see us foreigners

newbee2022

4 minutes ago, Mitkof Island said:

From the foreigners I have encountered here over the past twenty two years the majority give me the creeps, men and women young and old. I am not Thai and think the foreigners who end up here are not the highest quality humans around. I much prefer hanging with the Thais as they are much more down to Earth and overall less arrogant.

Fair enough.

Many foreigner - Thai relationships start out as transactional. They either stay that way, or move on to love and trust.

I am under no illusions as to whether I am an ATM. Fine by me, as long as I get what I want in return.

It's a very easy choice for many Thai women. Work until they no longer can, then exist on a government pension of 600 baht once they turn 60. Or hook up with a foreigner, have a quite comfortable life instead.

IMO the average Thai man mostly regards us as better off than they are, but lacks the education to start questioning why. It's only Thais who have been outside Thailand that understand.

43 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

What an arrogant attitude!

That is probably why to the locals you just don't matter!

When in Rome etc!

Arrogant?  That is your opinion.   The only thing that matters is the money I spend.  My experience in the actual Rome was very pleasant.  

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

35 minutes ago, bignok said:

But more friendly than lots of ladies in the west.

A few years ago, walking back from a beach bar in Changi Village (Singapore), we were approached by a couple of the local "people in skirts".

There were suggestions!!

My mate said he wanted to make love with a woman, whereupon one of the "ladies" said, "ah, you'll like my friend here. He's got a pu55y!!".

We didn't take them up on the offer!

• Haha 2

Thais see us in a way they things work or are reality, which in 97% of the cases is wrong anyway. Their opinion on this is useless, why even care about it.

It was never and is not about what Thais like about us, it is about what we like about Thailand and Thais, we decided to come here and still do so today. They did not decide we came/come.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

1 hour ago, sqwakvfr said:

Mixed race.  My first foster parents did not know what my actual ethnic backgrounds were.

It is possible today to find out with DNA analysis what your origins are but I am convinced that your adoptive parents never bothered to know because you were their son.

Actually all of us wouldn't be too surprised to know what kind of cross-breed we actually descend from.

8 hours ago, BE88 said:

It is possible today to find out with DNA analysis what your origins are but I am convinced that your adoptive parents never bothered to know because you were their son.

Actually all of us wouldn't be too surprised to know what kind of cross-breed we actually descend from.

I was never adopted.  I spent the first 18 years of my life in various foster homes. At my age it does not matter where or who I came from.  

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

There is only a small percentage of Thais that are interested in  foreigners. Basically the ones who choose to travel and then work in the places where foreigners tend to gather. The wolves follow the sheep...

The majority have zero interest in us because they have way more interesting things to occupy themselves. We are completely irrelevant within their lives.

I agree, up until the "more interesting things to occupy themselves".  I think it's more they have zero interest in non-Thais, unless they are very attractive, rich or famous.

I think "Thaisupremacy" is a big thing in Thailand.  Possibly non-Thais are seen as simply being "less human".

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

I think it's more they have zero interest in non-Thais

Agree and will go a step further: When we leave their presence, it's like we weren't even there.

Back in the 80's, the dollar was weak and NYC was flooded with cashed up Euro's.

Did we obsess about them? No, we merely coined the diss, Euro-Trash, and were done with it.

19 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

What are they thinking about us?

I think it ranges from noting at all, to fear, to hatred.  Some seem to like seeing some foreigners, but I think they're in the minority.  Post-covid, the "all foreigners have covid and are disgusting" seems to be hanging around in quite a few Thais.

19 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

And why did they got married to us?

I think it is normally to gain in some way.  It seems that the chances of a Thai marrying a foreigner who is at the same level and provides the same things that a Thai they might marry are very slim.

Some anecdotes seem to suggest that some Thais think Thais should not marry foreigners, so there needs to be some reason, like they are getting a lot of money, and simply liking that foreigner seems to be not accepted as a good enough reason not to marry a Thai instead.

1 minute ago, LaosLover said:

These nice people have a lot of racial hangups.

Thank God I come from America.

Where that could never happen.

Never mind the US, where I am also from, and know what you are talking about. 

When my daughter was younger(7 or ???? and was playing soccer in the US, while we were in Europe, I decided to take her to Football (socker) there, to see how it was, and how big the sport is there. .

Thank god she did not understand the language of that country. The opposing team had a couple of black players, and you should hear the language of the fans. In the US or even Thailand they would had been arrested and or thrown out of the game. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

These nice people have a lot of racial hangups.

Thank God I come from America.

Where that could never happen.

I'm sure similar things might happen all over the world, and no doubt interracial marriages cause some issues everywhere.  That being said, I think it would be a rare scenario where an Asian man marries an American woman and the American woman's family feel that they are entitled to have full access to that Asians man's money, while believing that they can treat him like he is less than human at the same time, and possibly even the American woman is cheating on the Asian man with another American man, while the whole community knows except him.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sirineou said:

In the US or even Thailand they would had been arrested and or thrown out of the game. 

I always idolized the English as racially enlightened -until I lived there. Soooo much anti-semitism, like quadruple the US, and hating South Asian people, who are generally held up as model minorities in the states.

Everyone is racist. And everyone should shut their mouths and be polite about it in general society.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

I'm sure similar things might happen all over the world, and no doubt interracial marriages cause some issues everywhere.  

Agreed, but that's why they have signs in amusement parks saying you have to be this tall to ride this ride. Because all of the rides entail a little risk. I don't know where you can escape relationship-risk.

I know 10 guys who married Japanese women, who would the so-called top-tier of Asian womanhood, due to education, western-friendliness, sexual openness etc.

All of those guys are in dead bedroom marriages with kids who don't even bother to speak English around them.

Root cause: They are stinky white people and over time, expressing that -in a million little ways- is no longer suppressed as an impulse. it's hard-wired.

Be THIS tall to ride this ride -and know your socio-racist tolerance going in.

Edited by LaosLover
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

Everyone is racist. And everyone should shut their mouths and be polite about it in general society.

Agreed.

Racism is a human condition and not limited to any particular Ethnicity. Many times it is not really as much  racism , as it is ethnocentrism. 

Heck there are people who are racists toward people of the same country or race.

12 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

I always idolized the English as racially enlightened -until I lived there. Soooo much anti-semitism, like quadruple the US, and hating South Asian people, who are generally held up as model minorities in the states.

Not disagreeing with your overall points. But you made your comment in reply to someone saying that in Thailand or the US people showing racist bahviour at a stadium would be arrested. You would also be arrested and banned at a football stadium in the UK for racist or homophobic behaviour. If the match the poster was referring to was in the UK, it would have been years ago. Sounds like it may have been Spain or Italy if more recent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BangkokReady said:

I think "Thaisupremacy" is a big thing in Thailand.  Possibly non-Thais are seen as simply being "less human".

I think the Thai's are actually the norm in the world and it's Europeans/whites who have in the recent decades been brainwashed out of believing ethnicity is real and matters. Living in Thailand taught me it not only is real but it's extremely important to your identity.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Most Thais seem spectacularly uninterested. Not curious on any level. To a mind boggling degree. 

That's their charm in my opinion. Simple people with a local worldview are very refreshing compared to where I come. 

21 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

It's funny because we call it a "prejudice" while in reality the people who are the most racist are the people who interact with other races most. It should be called a "postjudice" if we were being honest.

For example the only Thai people who I met who have been hostile towards have been the Thai's the interact with farangs on a daily basis and no I don't blame them at all.

11 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

I know 10 guys who married Japanese women, who would be so the so-called top-tier of Asian womanhood, due to education, western-friendliness, sexual openness etc. All of those guys are in dead bedroom marriages with kids who don't even bother to speak English around them.

I think the dead bedroom thing is quite common in Asian marriages, after kids or after 30-40.  Things seem to be especially bad in Japan, and not just for foreigners.  Work seems to be all that matters.  The language thing, I would imagine that's on the father.  If he's spending time with the kids, loving them and having fun with them, why would they not bother talking to him?

If you enter into a relationship with the idea that you provide money and the woman provides sex, with no interest in any children produced or the family/culture you're marrying into, you're gonna have a bad time.

I think that's why marriages to Thais with a large age-gaps are so popular.  The women know what their role is, and so do the foreign men.  Sex in exchange for money.  I can't imagine a Thai woman allowing a dead bedroom to develop with their ATM.  He has a lot of choices if she does.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

You would also be arrested and banned at a football stadium in the UK for racist or homophobic behaviour. 

I have the American orientation that offensive free speech should not be punished. Offensive actions? Yes. My tolerance of where one becomes the other is probably broader than yours.

Other countries believe in more regulated speech. They're not nuts, they're facing different pressures and coming from different traditions than me.

Same with Thai people. They have a hundred mini-evaluations a day of, "did X make me lose or gain face"? As an affluent person, I can bestow face-credits just by being polite.

Caveat: white people face credits only rate about 20% the worth of Thai people face credits.

9 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

I think the Thai's are actually the norm in the world and it's Europeans/whites who have in the recent decades been brainwashed out of believing ethnicity is real and matters. Living in Thailand taught me it not only is real but it's extremely important to your identity.

Yes.  Western countries used to be the same.  It was better for the natives but very bad for foreigners.  Much like Thailand is now.  Things have changed in Western countries, this seems to have made them far more dangerous and far less happy.  But "the individual" (especially minorities) has a lot more protection.  ????‍♂️

I think that's what we like about Thailand.  If we manage to be allowed in by some group or family, we can benefit from the closeness and happiness, but, inevitably, we suffer from it a lot also.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

I have the American orientation that offensive free speech should not be punished. Offensive actions? Yes. My tolerance of where one becomes the other is probably broader than yours.

On paper we have free speech but you will absolutely face backlash and lose your job, friends etc.. if you make racist or any other illiberal comments.

Case in point I'm in the US now and I was language policed by some family for using the r-word (retard) and the phrase "these people". If I did this enough and at a job I'm 100% certain I would get fired eventually.

Yeah it's bleak right now in the "home of free". Much more freedom to be found in Thailand.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, NorthernRyland said:

Yeah it's bleak right now in the "home of free". Much more freedom to be found in Thailand.

I say with zero snark, since I always click on you guys when I see your name:

You and BangkokReady have lived at the absolute top of the freedom food chain forever and still found that wanting.

Then you found a place where you could feel yet even more free -even tho it's not a particularly free place for the locals.

That's a beautiful thing.