Cable brands - big differences?

OneMoreFarang

30 minutes ago, Sigmund said:

I would expect the worst in a country where once a sucessful farang developper said that in Thailand the 2-way switches (for lights)  were unavailable ? Is this BS true ?

The 2-way switches are easily available, from many brands. 

4 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

The 2-way switches are easily available, from many brands. 

Thanks thought so. A real cheat that show how many developpers behave unfortunately. I was a fool to have belived him at the time.

But does it require specific wiring to install a 2 way switch for a same set of lights ?

Edited by Sigmund

On 8/16/2023 at 10:47 PM, Fruit Trader said:

XLPE is an insulation type.

That is correct BUT....it is also "compressed" type cable.

i.e the conductors are not circular, rather, they conform to the overall circular shape of the conductor as a whole and in laymans terms, that means each conductor is "shaped" to fill in what is normally, airspace.

Digital or not, it is well known the ability to get an accurate reading with a vernier is well nigh impossible, that is why for accuracy a micrometer is used.

One can get a dozen different readings from a vernier caliper over as many tests and end up with just as many variations, digital or otherwise.

I use both in the building of miniature working model four stroke engines ( currently on engine number 10), each have their own area of use.

However, where accuracy is required, the micrometer is a must, primarily down to what us old engineering boffins call "feel".

Argue and squirm as much as you like but these are the facts. 

Measure a test piece for resistance.  The cheapness coming from factories is getting boring..

Last time my electronics project went haywire was because the wire in my aligator clip leads I ordered was so high in resistance as to cause issues with a huge voltage drop. 

Id just buy the one with least resistance

3 hours ago, TimeMachine said:

Measure a test piece for resistance.  The cheapness coming from factories is getting boring..

Last time my electronics project went haywire was because the wire in my aligator clip leads I ordered was so high in resistance as to cause issues with a huge voltage drop. 

Id just buy the one with least resistance

Did you buy a brand name product from a reliable source?

Or something cheap from China?

I remember I saw a video from Dave from EEVblog talking about producing devices. It seems he only buys from known places like DigiKey. They are not cheap, but reliable. 

5 hours ago, bluejets said:

Digital or not, it is well known the ability to get an accurate reading with a vernier is well nigh impossible, that is why for accuracy a micrometer is used.

Your statement is pointless without defining  accuracy required.

I have just repeated the area measurement method made by @Muhendis (the method you previously questioned) on a 10mm2 copper cable using digital vernier caliper which repeated within .03mm. I repeated the test using a 0-25mm micrometer and obtained the same result but the wider contact area of the micrometer  slightly improved repeatability.

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Did you buy a brand name product from a reliable source?

Or something cheap from China?

I remember I saw a video from Dave from EEVblog talking about producing devices. It seems he only buys from known places like DigiKey. They are not cheap, but reliable. 

What would be your recommendations for reliable sources who will supply say switches and other stuff on retail please ?

18 hours ago, captainjackS said:

I prefer the appearance of BCC because it is not as shiny as Phelps Dodge.

Once the cable is fitted in conduit, or simply in the loft, what does the 'shininess' of the cable matter? Who will see it's appearance?

• Thanks 1