Cable brands - big differences?

OneMoreFarang

I am working on the electrical installation in my new condominium.

I use VAF-G cable, mostly 1.5 and 2.5 sqmm.

Until now I bought cable from BBC and YAZAKI.

Are there any substantial differences between brands? Which are the best and which should be avoided?

And it seems all the available VAF-G cables are "flat". From long time ago I am used to round cables. Are there any disadvantages to flat cables?

bcc_ipu50-vaf-g-cable.jpg

12 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Which are the best and which should be avoided?

I seem to remember another thread saying that not all of the 1.5 and 2.5... cable sizes are actually that size, as differ slightly between brands.

7 hours ago, stubuzz said:

I seem to remember another thread saying that not all of the 1.5 and 2.5... cable sizes are actually that size, as differ slightly between brands.

This is true.

I bought some 25mm aluminium cable in a Chinese electrical shop and, out of curiosity, measured it. 

The actual size was 22mm.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Muhendis said:

Using a vernier caliper I measured the diameter of each of the seven cores.

I calculated the cross sectional area of each and summed them.

errrmmmm, electric wires are measured in square millimetres, not mm. 22mm would be rather short for a cable and if it was a diameter it'd be huge, enough to supply a small factory, even for aluminium. 

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

errrmmmm, electric wires are measured in square millimetres, not mm. 22mm would be rather short for a cable and if it was a diameter it'd be huge, enough to supply a small factory, even for aluminium. 

Isn't that what he said?

Measure the diameter of each strand, calculate the area of each, multiply by the number of strands?

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Isn't that what he said?

Measure the diameter of each strand, calculate the area of each, multiply by the number of strands?

Nope, he refers to mm which is a unit of length,  Wires are measured by their cross sectional area which  is  expressed in square mm (mm2 not mm), in Europe at least.

Edited by Ben Zioner

5 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

Thanks.

Problem is, us regular engineering type guys automatically know what cable size refers to so if we say 25mm cable we know it means 25mm². This is useful if you are using a notepad type machine which doesn't have a way of doing the superscript ². (anyone know how to do this?)

'course it could be that Ben Zioner is fully aware of this and is simply nitpicking for the sake of it but probably not since that is so rare on this forum.............????

I'll just go and install some number 12 cable for that water heater, or maybe number 10 would be more appropriate ...

EDIT - Maybe we need a rule on "Unit Police" posts on the same lines as for "Grammar Police" ???? 

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

Thanks.

Problem is, us regular engineering type guys automatically know what cable size refers to so if we say 25mm cable we know it means 25mm². This is useful if you are using a notepad type machine which doesn't have a way of doing the superscript ². (anyone know how to do this?)

'course it could be that Ben Zioner is fully aware of this and is simply nitpicking for the sake of it but probably not since that is so rare on this forum.............????

Again, no. What prompted me is the 25mm (or mm2), which is huge. Is this the main going to your  house?   General  wiring is 1.5 mm2 for lightning, 2.5mm2  for plugs/appliances and 4 to 6mm2 for water heaters.

Yet I am not an electrician, only an electrical engineer  who got diverted into IT from the onset.

1 hour ago, Ben Zioner said:

Sorry, I forgot the forum was only for boarding school educated english speakers...

It isn’t, but you will be mocked (and possibly taunted) as will others who make amusing faux pas, probably because the appreciation of the humour of Monty Python and ilk is strong here

Edited by sometimewoodworker

8 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I always use sqmm - not perfect, but it does the job (in any application with any keyboard). 

Looks too much like squirm. I think I will do it as sometime woodworker said

25mm2. How about that. It works but need to cancel before continuing.

On 8/13/2023 at 10:11 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

I am working on the electrical installation in my new condominium.

I use VAF-G cable, mostly 1.5 and 2.5 sqmm.

Until now I bought cable from BBC and YAZAKI.

Are there any substantial differences between brands? Which are the best and which should be avoided?

Is there anybody out there who wants to comment on my question?

Otherwise, I suggest we close this thread.

• Haha 1

OK. I have noted that "some" lesser-known brands seem to be slightly under-size when measured.

I have some "6mm2" stranded that fits comfortably in a 4mm2 crimp! Brand? Think German mid-20th century dictator.

Bangkok Cable and Thai Yazaki are of the better kind, I would stick with them.

• Thanks 1

On 8/15/2023 at 8:43 AM, Muhendis said:

Using a vernier caliper

Just to be difficult, verniers are not all that accurate (micrometer yes, vernier no) and could be enough to throw off your final calculations.

That plus it could be you measured what is known as "compressed " cable or " XLPE" where the conductors are not actually round.

22 minutes ago, bluejets said:

Just to be difficult, verniers are not all that accurate (micrometer yes, vernier no) and could be enough to throw off your final calculations.

That plus it could be you measured what is known as "compressed " cable or " XLPE" where the conductors are not actually round.

You are welcome to be as difficult as you want.

My vernier caliper is OK to 1/100th mm.

Not calibrated but measures accurately on known other items.

It's digital.

Roundness was tested and found to be ........... round.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bluejets said:

XLPE is an insulation type.

The average accuracy of digital  vernier calipers is around .02mm

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have never measured the conductors, but I have a preference of wire brands for other non-scientific / non-quantitative reasons related to insulation of THW and VAF-G.  I prefer Bangkok Cable and Phelps Dodge (purchased locally in Thailand). The insulation on these 2 brands appears to resist damage from bending and scratches better than some other cheaper brands.   Phelps Dodge THW is more slippery and easier to pull in conduit.  For VAF-G (not in conduit), I prefer the appearance of BCC because it is not as shiny as Phelps Dodge.

Edited by captainjackS