Minivan vs Pattaya bus

BenStark

Need to go to my Embassy tomorrow.

Usually on the rare occasions that I have to go Bangkok, I will take the bus at north Pattaya, instead of driving myself.

I'm aware of the minivans, some actually mini buses, but always have been a bit wary of them reading news articles about accidents.

Maybe this has improved lately?

I also have no idea where they go from or times leaving, how long they take to reach the destination, or what the prices are compared to the big bus.

My Embassy is on Sathorn, so I exit the big bus at the first BTS station and travel from there. Is this also an option with the minivans?

Your tips and feedback will be appreciated

There's several minibus/van companies on Pattaya Klang (up the hill from Food Land) that go to BKK and make stops around the city, my wife uses them all the time and never a problem, 150 b.

• Like 1

There are also several Van/Bus/taxi stations on S. Pattaya Rd near the temple, same side.  I often see see a small bus stopped at the stand nearest the temple, but I don't know if it has a regular schedule.  There is also the option of taking the bus from Jomtien (Foodmart on Trapaya Rd) which goes to Suvarnabhumi Airport.  Easy there to get the Airport Rail Link into the city, exit at Makkasan and take nearby MRT to Silom.

1 hour ago, champers said:

Bus to Ekkamai; which does stop at a couple of BTS stations; costs 139 Baht one way. Why choose a minibus?

The answer to that question is the purpose of this thread.

Maybe because they are faster, more convenient, more comfortable?

The big bus is very old, and seats not really comfortable.

I would actually not really be interested in the 9 seater minivans, but i noticed that are bigger ones (15seats?), and maybe those drivers are more disciplined.

I would b interested to know where they go from and to where, and their departure times.

4 minutes ago, BenStark said:

I would actually not really be interested in the 9 seater minivans, but i noticed that are bigger ones (15seats?), and maybe those drivers are more disciplined.

I would b interested to know where they go from and to where, and their departure times.

The klang options posted are slower and less comfortable.no cheaper either, bigbus mucho safer.

• Thumbs Up 1

I never take either anymore, but when I did I would buy 2 seats on the big bus.  Stretch out it is not terrible.   The minivans I don't like it seems people stink BO and bad breath too close for comfort.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, BenStark said:

I think 6 months ago, but I pass them daily on the highway when i drive home, so I do know they are very old.

No question they do generally use older buses on the Ekkamai-Pattaya route.  I frequently see the much newer buses from Ekkamai going to other destinations like Changchonsao and Rayong.

They know they are going to fill those Pattaya buses 90% of the time so no incentive to try to attract passengers with new buses.

8 minutes ago, BenStark said:

The big busses are comfoŕtable for me, if a little cold because of the aiŕcon. It is only a 2 hour journey.The driving is very good.

You pays your money you takes your choice.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bkk6060 said:

I never take either anymore, but when I did I would buy 2 seats on the big bus.  Stretch out it is not terrible.

I used to try to buy the 2 rearmost seats during the Covid years.  Very bouncy but nobody else close to you or reclining in your face.

4 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Looks as if it will be big bus then.

Do you know if it is possible to buy tickets a day in advance?

No advance purchase for the Ekkamai bus, I think same for Mo Chit bus but not sure.

You can exit the bus at Udom Suk (as long as no bag under) and take the BTS to Sala Daeng or Choen Nonsi, whichever is closer.

You can advance purchase the Jomtien bus, either online or at the station.

Edited by dddave
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, BenStark said:

I think 6 months ago, but I pass them daily on the highway when i drive home, so I do know they are very old.

Still much better than mini vans, big buses have AC and much safer, drivers are good, unlike minivans, who cares how old they look.

Many minivans to choose from at Ekkamai bus station though

Edited by scubascuba3

17 minutes ago, dddave said:

No advance purchase for the Ekkamai bus, I think same for Mo Chit bus but not sure.

You can exit the bus at Udom Suk (as long as no bag under) and take the BTS to Sala Daeng or Choen Nonsi, whichever is closer.

You can advance purchase the Jomtien bus, either online or at the station.

Can buy in advance from pattayabus.com not same day it seems @BenStark

28 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Can buy in advance from pattayabus.com not same day it seems @BenStark

Thanks, good find and booked already.

Now the question remains, seat is not selectable, and neither is there a seat number on the receipt

So how will I get a seat number assigned?

Edit: It's in the remarks, have to be there at least 30 minutes before departure, so looks as if you still risk of having no seat

Edited by BenStark

1 hour ago, dddave said:

There are also several Van/Bus/taxi stations on S. Pattaya Rd near the temple, same side.  I often see see a small bus stopped at the stand nearest the temple, but I don't know if it has a regular schedule.  There is also the option of taking the bus from Jomtien (Foodmart on Trapaya Rd) which goes to Suvarnabhumi Airport.  Easy there to get the Airport Rail Link into the city, exit at Makkasan and take nearby MRT to Silom.

Also an MRT exit at Sathorn (intersection with Rama IV/Wireless Rd)

2 minutes ago, OneZero said:

Also an MRT exit at Sathorn (intersection with Rama IV/Wireless Rd)

Ticket for bus to Suvi airport can be bought 2 days in advance (perhaps more if do it online, not sure of that).  Also, they are decent buses.

12 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Thanks, good find and booked already.

Now the question remains, seat is not selectable, and neither is there a seat number on the receipt

Edit: It's in the remarks, have to be there at least 30 minutes before departure, so looks as if you still risk of having no seat

No risk of no seat, they will give you the seat receipt on arrival, i get there about 30 mins early

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Take the Reung Ruen bus from North Rd to Ekamai (or get off before ) then get on the Skytrain. An alternative is go to Moechit but is Ekamai more frequent, The minibus drivers are reckless and the journey cramped and uncomfortable.

9 hours ago, BenStark said:

Take your on-line booking information to the desk selling tickets and they'll exchange it for your actual ticket which will have a seat number on it.

When I went to the Canadian embassy from Pattaya I would drive to the airport, quite easy, park and go downstairs and take the sky train.

Airport to Phayathai station, change to Silom and then exit at Saladang station and then a short walk to the embassy.

Easy quick way to the center of Bangkok

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, BenStark said:

Maybe this has improved lately?

There's no evidence to suggest the minivan accident risk has been diminished or has even been assessed let alone is under control. Many words from government talking heads handing out nominal sums of cash and gift baskets of Brands Essence of Chicken for the survivors after one gets ripped open like a tin can, hurling victims across the pavement or bursts into flames, cooking them alive.

You get the picture yet?

• Like 1